bike bushcraft

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
tramponabike

Re: bike bushcraft

Post by tramponabike »

ukbushman wrote:from what has been posted here on this thread in my view, most of you who have posted have an idealised view of bike bushcraft & of bushcraft in general. I'm of the opinion that some, if not all, could benefit from some form bushcraft course that could benefit you & your cycle touring exploits in the future, & my give you a better understand of the environment that you ride through, but this is just my view & opinion.

UKB

OK out with it...how much?

and do I have to wear Ventile?
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

There are over a million hits when you type in bushcrasft and hundreds of bushcraft courses and it seems that anyone can set up courses in bushcraft. So is there any kind of trade association, professional body so that people running these courses have belong to or are vetted etc to meet a certain standard so the customer is getting a good experience and value for money. Also it is good to get to know about the trees, bushes, flowers rocks and so on that we pass on many of our rides.
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.
UKB
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

UKB...

From the posts on this thread alone it can be seen that most if not all express some degree of interest and knowledge about our natural environment. I think it presumptive and a little insulting to be told that "most of you who have posted have an idealised view of bike bushcraft & of bushcraft" and that we are considered to be in need of a "course" to rectify this. (don't worry, I'll get over it. :) )

There have been many well informed and in depth posts discussing the benefits, history, sustainability and potential negative effects of increasing "bushcraft" activity in the UK. You seem to have been silent on them all.

What do you think the impact a significant increase of "bushcrafting" as promoted by various web sites and bushcraft courses might have on UK woodlands?

Lawrie9 wrote:Also it is good to get to know about the trees, bushes, flowers rocks and so on that we pass on many of our rides.

I agree 100 % Lawrie.

I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

ukbushman wrote:I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.

Can you not give us some guidance on here?

tramponabike wrote:I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.

I agree and question why I need to go on a course to be told not to chop or burn things.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

Edwards wrote:
ukbushman wrote:I'm not sure at the present time but you can always send an Email to Woodlore ltd (info@raymears.com) to find out,they might know, if they don't then I don't know, Woodlore are the countries leading Bushcraft firm that runs bushcraft courses which have been going for nearly thirty(30) years so give them a try.

Can you not give us some guidance on here?

tramponabike wrote:I only question if the chopping, burning, eating and general destruction of same are equally good.

I agree and question why I need to go on a course to be told not to chop or burn things.

the best guidance & the the best people to answer your question that I can give is to get in contact with the firm in my last post, they should be able to answer both.
UKB
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

ukbushman wrote:the best guidance & the the best people to answer your question that I can give is to get in contact with the firm in my last post, they should be able to answer both.

But you must have an opinion! As a bushcrafter yourself you must have considered and come to a conclusion regarding the environmental impact? Especially as bushcraft purports to hold "nature" in such high esteem. Your own opinion is worth more than any amount of PR bumf.

Not trying to get at you personally here, I am sure I share much of your pleasure in what is after all... camping.
Spending time in the wilds with minimal resources is, along with cycling, my favourite activity. About 35 nights out already this year. I am greatly interested in traditional skills and think a closer association with nature is of benefit to everyone.

My concern is simply that, many of the activities encouraged by the growing bushcraft industry have no place in our fragile and pressurised woodlands. Apart from the designated private areas that these courses are conducted on, the growing numbers of trained bushcrafters will disperse into any woods they can find. At least the tons of gear will keep the majority on a leash.
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

my sentiments exactly
UKB
tramponabike

Post by tramponabike »

ukbushman wrote:my sentiments exactly

:lol:

Good reply...I asked for that. :)

It does raise other questions, but you don't give much away do you? :wink:
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.
UKB
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

ukbushman wrote:for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.

I'm not sure this long-winded sales pitch is working.

Possibly a bit unfair as you are such a long standing member who has posted lots of advice previously - oh hang on...
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

ukbushman wrote:for me that's normal, it's not what know but who I know to get the right guidance/advice that I need & then pass it on to others.

So do you know anything about Bushcraft?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

a lot more then some give me credit for.
UKB
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ukbushman wrote:a lot more then some give me credit for.

Then why are you so reluctant to share you depth of knowledge?
Or is it as someone else has already said that this just a sales pitch?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ukbushman

Post by ukbushman »

no sales pitch or reluctant to share my knowledge of bushcraft, it's just one of uncertainty of the knowledge that I share will be used in the right way.
UKB