togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Grumpy Nurse wrote:I fully expect scorn and disdain for using bearings that don't involve using a hammer and chisel to take out.

Woops!

Not from me :wink: I yate cotters :evil:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Edwards wrote:
MikewsMITH2 wrote: Is your bike a Raleigh by any chance?

Shh do not let Graham hear this and Raleigh threads. :wink:

I have a cure :D and it doesn't even involve heavy hammers, angle grinders and a big skip :mrgreen:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

robc02 wrote:I feel the need to point out that your chainring is fitted incorrectly :mrgreen:

i prefer unconventionally to incorrectly. :wink:

it's to do with chainline & using a bb i found that fittted, rather than buying new.

if i could only have one bike, it'd be the galaxy. it cost me under £30* whilst also decluttering the garage

*excluding saddlebag :lol:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Crowsfoot spoking...

http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk ... 0spoke.htm

If anyone builds one of these I'd be interested in the spoke lengths for an AW hub into a 27x 1 1/4" rim. Any exotic spoke patterns out there for the 32 hole front wheel?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Great bikes, great company, great scenery - does life get any better? :mrgreen:

Only when there are few more togglers around, Graham :wink:

Stevve (wots looking for'ard to the next tour)
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Some nice pictures here.
Grumpy Nurse

Post by Grumpy Nurse »

Got the bottom bracket in using a length of steel piping on the end of the adjustable spanner. Not the most elegant solution and I do not want to ever have to take the left hand side one out. I imagine that will involve stripping down the bike, a vice, using the frame as a lever and lots of swearing.

A sense of accomplishment, none the less.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

I've discovered a fatal flaw in my plan to use Dia Compe Guidonnet brake levers with my drum brakes, and that is that to fit the cable to the lever, I need to thread it through the small cup-shaped part which joins the cable outer to the brake lever body. The Sturmey-Archer cable has a nipple fixed to both ends though (barrel shaped at the lever end and pear shaped at the drum brake end) so I can't thread it through.

So... what is the best thing for me to do? Should I use a solderless pear nipple like this one?:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/clarks-solde ... h-prod8145

or is there some more reliable way to join two lengths of brake cable, or something else I'm missing? Is fitting a nipple on the end of a brake cable something my lbs should be able to do for me?
Last edited by corshamjim on 30 Aug 2011, 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:I've discovered a fatal flaw in my plan to use Dia Compe Guidonnet brake levers with my drum brakes, and that is that to fit the cable to the lever, I need to thread it through the small cup-shaped part which joins the cable outer to the brake lever body. The Sturmey-Archer cable has a nipple fixed to both ends though (barrel shaped at the lever end and pear shaped at the drum brake end) so I can't thread it through without.

So... what is the best thing for me to do? Should I use a solderless pear nipple like this one?:

or is there some more reliable way to join two lengths of brake cable, or something else I'm missing? Is fitting a nipple on the end of a brake cable something my lbs should be able to do for me?

Use a Sturmey Archer barrel at the drum end. I have some if required :wink:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Use a Sturmey Archer barrel at the drum end. I have some if required :wink:

That's super, thanks Graham. yhpm
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Use a Sturmey Archer barrel at the drum end. I have some if required :wink:

That's super, thanks Graham. yhpm

I'll drop 'em in the post this evening if I get home in time, failing that it'll be in the morning :wink:
robc02

Post by robc02 »

corshamjim wrote:I've discovered a fatal flaw in my plan to use Dia Compe Guidonnet brake levers with my drum brakes, and that is that to fit the cable to the lever, I need to thread it through the small cup-shaped part which joins the cable outer to the brake lever body. The Sturmey-Archer cable has a nipple fixed to both ends though (barrel shaped at the lever end and pear shaped at the drum brake end) so I can't thread it through.

Jim, as Graham says, the SA barrel or Pinch Bolt is the way to do it. If Graham can't find any you want part number HSK715.

I don't know your particular levers, but standard pull drop bar levers barely pull enough cable for SA drums. I tried some and found that I could pull the rear brake lever right to the bar quite easily even with the shoes adjusted very close to the drum. The front was a bit better. In the end I bought some Tektro RL520 levers (for drop bars and V=brakes) and all was well.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

Thanks Rob. I'll give these a go and bear that in mind. I think these under-drop levers can be positioned so they will have plenty of travel so I'm fairly optimistic.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

corshamjim wrote:Thanks Rob. I'll give these a go and bear that in mind. I think these under-drop levers can be positioned so they will have plenty of travel so I'm fairly optimistic.

Good. Let us know how you get on and please post a picture. I know everyone will be glad to see another drop bar bike on here. :wink:
littleman

Post by littleman »

Addendum....................

Just a tiny voice in the crowd. But I posted a short time ago that I'd ordered my first bike since adolescence - A Pashley -"Parabike".................. Well - an update to say I've just been informed by the LBS that it's ready for collection - Whoo-hoo! It has taken almost 7 weeks since my order, and now it's here that's perhaps not so bad? - but having been told officially four, but almost certainly just the three. I must admit I got a bit "grumpy" at the eventual wait.
Anyhoo .......... going to pick it up early this afternoon, first stop is a visit to my mate Mick - who was a big cyclist, and as a senior became something of a "tour de force" on the local competitive scene. Although unable to ride anymore (at any effective level) he's taken the pish out of me since we were kids - and this just seems like a great opportunity to allow him to do so again.
Pic's to follow [begging everyone's indulgence].

Cheers all...................