Beer & lager A-Z

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
irc

Re: Beer & lager A-Z

Post by irc »

For a bike forum the "F" has to be Fat Tire, being drunk on tour in sunny Colorado.

fat tire (Large).JPG

Sorry about the sideays pic. It has that effect at times.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

And from the UK we have

Ta Daaaaa

fursty ferretw_1.jpg

:D :D :D
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Everards of Leicester,Exmoor of Devon ,and Eldridge Pope of Dorchester
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

Well I know Guinness is stout, not beer or lager, but it can't be ignored...
PW

Post by PW »

Guinness? Not in the same league as something advertised as "Double Cappucino Stout" I came across in a 12 handpump real ale joint last week :wink:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

McVouty wrote:Well I know Guinness is stout, not beer or lager, but it can't be ignored...

eh? Isn't beer a blanket term for a beverage brewed from malted cereal grains that covers lager, stout, mild, bitter or whatever?
PW

Post by PW »

The blanket term is Ale. Beer is ale flavoured with hops. :D
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

PW wrote:The blanket term is Ale. Beer is ale flavoured with hops. :D

Hmm. I've done some looking around and it doesn't seem to be that clear cut. It seems to depend who you believe, what you read and/or where you come from. The definition you give is just one of several possibilities it seems. I've just read one definition that says ale is a kind of beer. :?

Another etymological mess I think.

Grolsch
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I read that Ale and Beer are the same thing, just like many words in "English" because of our Norman vs Anglo Saxon ancestry.

Can't remember which is which .......
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

hubgearfreak wrote:an A-Z of beer that doesn't include batemans has fallen at the first (well, second) hurdle

Well it would have done before they changed Treble XB into Double XB :cry:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

H is for Harveys of Lewis,Hull Brewery of Kingston,Hartleys of Ulverston ,Holts of Manchester and Higsons of Toxteth and Dingle.
McVouty

Post by McVouty »

H for Hurlimann's Starnbrau Lager, which (or so I am assured) is the Millwall fans' drink of choice. In a previous era, when I was a regular at the old Den and the pubs of New Cross, it was Barclay's Imperial Russian Stout. This was chosen not for its taste but because of its high strength to volume ratio which facilitated the necking of impressive numbers of the small bottles at equally impressive speeds - not that I approve (or indeed approved then) of such conduct.
PW

Post by PW »

Imperial Russian Stout is still around, mainly in 1/3 pint bottles but you can get halves in some brands. There's a beer shop a mile from here which sells it. :wink: I've seen someone get blotto on it. He couldn't even talk, never mind walk, had to be carried home and took 3 days to recover. :roll:
karlt

Post by karlt »

Mick F wrote:I read that Ale and Beer are the same thing, just like many words in "English" because of our Norman vs Anglo Saxon ancestry.

Can't remember which is which .......

Neither. Both are Germanic, and existed in Old English long before the landslide Norman victory in the 1066 general election. Germanic languages have both a "beer" word and an "ale" word but vary in which they use, or what different uses they put the two to. If we'd inherited a word from the Normans, it would be ultimately derived from Latin Cerevisia - hence the Welsh have Cwrw and the Cornish Corev, because they got their words from the Romans. The Modern French "beer" word, biere, is a borrowing from German.

The word "Beer" may derive from Latin Bibere, to drink, or from the proto-Germanic word for Barley, the Old English form of which was "Bere", "Barley" orginally being an adjective derived from it. Ale is from a Germanic root that may signify bitterness, magical concoctions, or quite possibly both ;)

Guinness is beer, just, but it's a bit thin and formulaic for my tastes.
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

Anyone tried this? Sorry only got the label.
Attachments
ram rod ale.jpg
No jam doughnuts stored here overnight