togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
GrahamNR17

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by GrahamNR17 »

littleman wrote:Pic's to follow [begging everyone's indulgence].

corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

littleman wrote:Pic's to follow [begging everyone's indulgence].

Pictures are obligatory! I'm glad your wait is over.

I mentioned my new handlebars to my wife yesterday. She asked the inevitable question about how many components of the original bike are actually still there? :roll: :oops: I was hoping she wouldn't notice my n+1 by stealth.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

She asked the inevitable question about how many components of the original bike are actually still there?

Don't worry about it Jim. I bought a new bike in 2008 and now all that is left of the original (including the frame!) are the handlebars, stem, shifters, brakes and chainset.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

one-off togglers seem to be getting more and more expensive :shock:

Item number: 190563021302

obviously for someone wealthy and short
Roadstersrevenge

Post by Roadstersrevenge »

Do we have anyone near leeds? I can't remember.
Was hoping someone might collect & put an ebay purchase in the post for me, assuming I win it of course!
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Nope, but please help yourself :wink:

Suits you, sir :lol:
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Littleman musta gone on a really long ride :?
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Down at the TCT Beachside HQ sitting in the sun and firing up the barbecue. It's 1st Sept and cycling is allowed again. Anyone want to join us? Praps littlemans on his way? :-)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
broadway

Post by broadway »

MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
littleman

Post by littleman »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Littleman musta gone on a really long ride :?

Ha! No, strangely enough I've just got back from my very first bike-ride since I was a kid - Bliddy Marvellous.

It really was terrific, I'd forgotten just how exhilarating it is - felt like a kid again. Not to say I didn't struggle at times - I really really did. Legs like jelly and all that, puffing and a sweating. Lots of photo opportunity's but didn't take the camera with me - thought a Pashley and me would be quite heavy enough? - Cycled just a mile to the nearest access to the cut and travelled along that - Fabulous. The canal goes rural quite quickly and I pedalled happily along, not really found my old sense of balance yet and got a bit close to the edge sometimes - also I have to step out of the saddle in order to put my feet down so there were a few less than elegant dismounts. turned off after a few miles onto the lanes and headed back [I'd noticed that I was tiring already] and I didn't want to find myself too far out and still have the return journey!! Anyhoo..... the return journey by road included quite a few gentle hills and steep slopes - in my weakened state my little legs did struggle a bit. But only once did I hop off and walk - seemed better than hurting myself and looking a prat than looking cool and not being able to ride again for a week?
All in all I was out for an hour and a half, and I've just measured on my Autoroute and it says six and three quarter miles? - Appalling I know ....... but I had a pretty good time, lovely sunshine and already I'm noticing things I've missed in the car. Riding on the road was scary - not helped I must admit by all the horror stories I've read on here, and I did naughty things like hopping onto the path when I bottled the busier roads [Housing estates]. Got scalped once but decided to let him go [arf] - one pretty lady smiled at me but the other five didn't, got to use my "ding-dong bell" once and apologised immediately.

I am now going to try and take some pic's in the yard and post them.........................................
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

littleman wrote:All in all I was out for an hour and a half, and I've just measured on my Autoroute and it says six and three quarter miles? - Appalling I know ....... but I had a pretty good time

That is not that slow 13.5 mph average. Did you take a mobile phone with a camera?
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
littleman

Post by littleman »

Here we go then....................... sorry about the delay.

What I've come to think of as the classic shot of the Para/Tube bike.

Sexy shot outside the back door.

And again..........

I've chosen to show the "other" side as I much prefer the look of that business like bottom bracket??

Re- Camera's ........ I've got a decent Lumix type camera ........ no phone cam' - and even my old normal mobile phone spends most of it's life languishing in the fruit-bowl - unloved and unfed!
I really am an old farty and it's not that I'm a techno-phobe? But rather I really am just happier sitting in the back of the cave watching all the youngsters wearing themselves out.

And I'm really impressed if that is truly the average I was achieving?? I wasn't trying too hard - just kind of chuffling along, but only 'cos I didn't want to embarrass myself any more than I had to!!!

Anyway all .............. speak later when all the pish-taking dies down.

Oh....... and PS ............. My bliddy Bum hurts.......................... am I doing it right??
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

littleman wrote:Oh....... and PS ............. My bliddy Bum hurts.......................... am I doing it right??

Probably. The saddle might take a few rides to conform to the shape of your bottom - or vice-versa. If you haven't thought too much about saddle height and such, it's worth having a quick look at some of the common advice. My favourite notes on bike fitting are at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Those are lovely pictures - you must be really pleased. The bicycle looks too clean though. I can recommend some bridleways in Dorset for picking up the required bits of undergrowth, scuffs from falling off etc.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/