£350

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Si

£350

Post by Si »

I've just calculated that £350 is roughly how much I've saved over the last few years by investing about £15 in some electric clippers and cutting my own hair rather than going to the barbers.

That's enough for a good bike!

Given that when I went to the barbers I just asked for a grade one all over, I don't think that my self presentation has suffered much.

And, as my old mate Big Vern used to say "If hairdressers can cut hair then anyone can cut hair."

But if only I'd saved all the clippings - I'd be half way to a new duvet by now.
Steve Kish

Re: £350

Post by Steve Kish »

I'm also a DIY man with the clippers - my hair looks crap whether it's professionally cut or butchered by me.

One great gadget that I've just bought is dat dere JML micro-trimmer with the LED light in it. Super for tidying up the neck and bits on top of the ears between full-on trims.

Si, FWIW, I do a Grade 6 all over and then Grade 2 upwards to about the top of the ears for that 'just out on parole' look. :mrgreen:
Old enough to know better but too young to care.
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I'm number 2 all over , all year round as it grows like wild fire ... i chop all the big bits off with the clippers then the good lady tidies up .... my hair that is .......... :)
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

I have a Wahl "home styling" kid. It also has a nose and ear trimmer which I find increasingly useful. I even use it on my eyebrows. My female hairdresser telling me about her marriage in Nigaragua was the last straw; the cake was made out of cardboard.
My wife does mine. I feel a bit bad about the DIY as, ceretis paribus, it reduces GDP. :wink:
jonty
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

My son started a hairdressing course at RCAT in Rotherham.
After 6 weeks he came and announced he was not going back. "Why son" asks concerned mother. "I've got more functioning brain cells in my socks than the rest of my course !!"
John went to Lincoln Uni got a degree in art and design and now teaches.
Taunton Uni ( yes !!) ran degree courses in hair dressing ...... !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on the Wahl...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

si

I'm not sure what point you are making. Any tools you buy are likely to lead to a saving in the long run if they are relatively cheap but durable and you know how to use them. (Eg just about anything you use to shave your chin is going to be cheaper than visiting a barber for a shave - if such people still exist.)

I thought you were going to ask for examples of people who had saved money through DIY. I seem to have had more than my fair share of drain blockages in the last few months. Arouind thirty quid for a high pressure attachment for the karcher to flush out the blocked outside drain worked a treat, although I hope I never have to use it again. The 15 metre snake thing I bought for the blocked drain from the kitchen sink going right across the kitchen under the floor came in under twenty quid and probably saved me an arm and a leg.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:I'm number 2 all over ...........

Its all that digging out cess pits :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Anura

Post by Anura »

Just think what you've saved by nOT having your nails done! Haaaaaa ha! I fail to see how women can fork out £25 to have their nails done, and I'm one myself. Just think how dirty they'd get when you're cleaning your bike.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I remember hair... used to have some. Wonder where it went?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Anura wrote:Just think what you've saved by nOT having your nails done! Haaaaaa ha! I fail to see how women can fork out £25 to have their nails done, and I'm one myself. Just think how dirty they'd get when you're cleaning your bike.

Its those horrible stick on things that make me laugh,so you've got finger nails,then you go to a shop and have plastic nails stuck on top of those nails,nails that look as natural as 4" roundheads :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Anura .. my daughter did a nail course .... 6 days and got a certificate stating she was a "Nail Technician"..... how she laughed .. she has "Lamburini" nights for her mates and does all their nails .... the combination of alcohol and nail art must be scarey the next day ... :)
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:Taunton Uni ( yes !!) ran degree courses in hair dressing ...... !!!!!!!!!!!!

You must mean SCAT - AKA Somerset College of Arts and Tarts :evil:
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Steve Kish wrote:I do a Grade 6 all over and then Grade 2 upwards to about the top of the ears for that 'just out on parole' look.

What's a Grade 6 or Grade 2? I'm just curious, as I've been doing my own hair for decades now.

Or perhaps I should go on a course to find out.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Now that I have no hair I seem to need it cut more regularly. Do they drink nails in nail bars? Is this a northern phenomenon?
jonty
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

IT'S TOUGH UP NORTH JONTY !!!!