£350

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
wirral_cyclist

Re: £350

Post by wirral_cyclist »

snibgo wrote:
Steve Kish wrote:I do a Grade 6 all over and then Grade 2 upwards to about the top of the ears for that 'just out on parole' look.

What's a Grade 6 or Grade 2? I'm just curious, as I've been doing my own hair for decades now.

Or perhaps I should go on a course to find out.

The number is eigths of an inch or 3mm in new money so 3/4"/18mm top and 1/4"/6mm sides.
alicej

Post by alicej »

I save loads of cash by just letting my hair keep growing - no gadget required. Every couple of years I persuade a not-drunk friend to try to cut it in a roughly straight line around the back, then I dig the cut off hair into where my raspberries grow on my allotment (they're supposed to like the keratin). Then I ignore it again for a few years.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Just go bald.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Edwards wrote:Just go bald.

very easily to say for the lucky few, but what for us poor devils whose hair continues to grow?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

hubgearfreak wrote:very easily to say for the lucky few, but what for us poor devils whose hair continues to grow

Pull it out one at a time or sell the whole lot to Wayne Rooney or Elton John.
Keith Edwards
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

In late 2008 I bought a hair clipper from Woolworths just before it shut up shop. It was £6.

A No 2 was £6 at my local barbers at the time so I was in profit the second time I used it.

It's saved me a small fortune and I still keep it in the original Woolworths box which is now a bit of instant nostalgia.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Edwards wrote:Just go bald.

I already did................like you :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

snibgo wrote:... What's a Grade 6 or Grade 2? ....
Afaik, the grades are 1 - 4 with 4 being the shortest. Also afaik, it's based on the length of hair left by the different comb thingies which fit over the blades of the clippers. "Comb thingies" may not sound very technical but I don't think it is. When I used to visit a barber they also had a device used to create a "flat top." This was a large flat comb with a built-in spirit level. As there was no way of knowing that the target bonce was level underneath the comb, the spirit level seemed pointless.

Anyway, those familiar with my official forum mugshot will know that I went through a period of saving tonsorial expenses by letting it grow. More recently, I have the ideal arrangement - one of my daughters-in-law is a hairdresser. :D
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Ah, but wirral_cyclist above reckons larger numbers mean longer hair, not shorter. Such confusion could lead to "interesting" hairstyles. Could you ask your daughter-in-law?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I really must be losing it. Grade one is the shortest and that's what I thought I had written. Even when I re-read it just now, I thought I had written that one was the shortest. :oops: :oops:
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Audax67 wrote:I remember hair... used to have some. Wonder where it went?

You might find it on your back.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Jonty wrote:I feel a bit bad about the DIY as, ceretis paribus, it reduces GDP.

Don't feel bad...so long as you are spending appropriately the money you would otherwise have given to a barber, you've done little damage to UK GDP.
Wikipeda might have something to say about it.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Audax67 wrote:I remember hair... used to have some. Wonder where it went?

If it is anything like mine gravity has pulled it down. The time that used to taken up having the hair on my head cut is now taken up keeping the hair below the neck at a reasonable length. Why am I going bald from the head and the lower legs at the same time?
At least I have not got to the ear and nose hair stage yet.
Keith Edwards
York Commuter

Post by York Commuter »

Unlike many of you I like going to the barber's! I enjoy the time it gives me, away from work and dare I say it free from SWMBO, the chance to flick aimlessly through either the Daily Mirror or one of the motoring mnagazines (yes I also find cars interesting).

Living in the North, and going to a suburban barber the price is not too bad, I still get change from a tenner, which I can afford being in full time employment.

I am still gifted with hair and have a beard as well.

Regarding the guards that the barber uses, I know of grades 0.5 to 7, the latter being the longest. For some time I had my head cut to a 5, the sides of my head to a 3 and my beard to a 1 - thus making for a nice 531!

I would trust my wife to do a good job, but to be honest it just seems like going a bit too far!

As to saving money, well put it this way I just wished I still smoked so I could give it up!

Stephen
A commuter since 1991 when I moved to York.
A tourer since 1992
Now a married man who spends longer in the garage repairing and building than riding!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I've just had a close look at the comb thingies on the trimmer I use on my hair and beard. I've had it for decades but never noticed that they are marked:

#1 (1/8", 3mm)

up to

#6 (3/4", 20mm)

exactly as wirral_cyclist predicted (with due allowance for the conversion to metric).

Gosh, I'm having an exciting day.