£350

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: £350

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:I thought you were going to ask for examples of people who had saved money through DIY.
I've been laying a few concrete blocks today as a footings support. I'm rebuilding our decking out the back, I built it 14 years ago and used leftover 4x2 to construct the frame, but over the years it's rotted out. I could have saved time and effort if I'd used decent timber in the first place.

snibgo wrote:Gosh, I'm having an exciting day.
Apart from block laying, I've done the ironing, washed my bike, and fed the cat. I'm having an exiting day too.

I'm due a hair cut. Margaret, at "Creations" hairdressers in the village does mine, I must make an appointment.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The big event of the day around here has been the first phase of digital switchover on the telly. Most of the rest of the country has forgotten this already. On the subject of saving money with DIY, tuning a telly isn't the task it used to be and it certainly doesn't need calling in an expert. I've done several LG tellies today, including my mother's and it's easy peasy. The only fly in the ointment was the hard-drive TV recorder which has local antecedents. No staightforward retune option: using the factory reset and then starting from scratch seems to be the only way. No wonder there's trouble at t'mill. :evil:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

York Commuter wrote:Living in the North, and going to a suburban barber the price is not too bad, I still get change from a tenner, which I can afford being in full time employment.
Regarding the guards that the barber uses, I know of grades 0.5 to 7, the latter being the longest. For some time I had my head cut to a 5, the sides of my head to a 3 and my beard to a 1 - thus making for a nice 531!

Stephen

Do they still call them barbers up north? Do you pull teeth? My friend tells me his hair stylist is called Brendan.
jonty
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

alicej wrote:I save loads of cash by just letting my hair keep growing - no gadget required. Every couple of years I persuade a not-drunk friend to try to cut it in a roughly straight line around the back, then I dig the cut off hair into where my raspberries grow on my allotment (they're supposed to like the keratin). Then I ignore it again for a few years.

My mental image of you has taken a bit of a knock!
jonty
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Jonty wrote:My mental image of you has taken a bit of a knock!
How's about this then?
Hair.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Local barbers in Chesterfield.. No. 2 all over £5. sky sport on all the time ...red tops to 'read' .. barber is kick boxing champion ... twittering assistant is 19 yr old female who often gets reminded that, " he's here to have his hair cut , not to listen to your stories about getting drunk with the mob from the estate ... get on with it" .. which frankly, seems fair ... no carpets just bare boards ..if you want a coffee there's a cafe next door ..... bliss...... :)
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

Mick F wrote:How's about this then?
<hairy pic snipped>

It's Uncle Bulgaria
...or is it Cousin It?
......or maybe Captain Caveman?
.........or "Uncle" from The Adventure Game?
............The Crowman or Catweasel?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If I didn't know better I should have said a certain Mr Connolly :mrgreen:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:If I didn't know better I should have said a certain Mr Connolly :mrgreen:

Or Old Mother Riley :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Mick F wrote:
Jonty wrote:My mental image of you has taken a bit of a knock!
How's about this then?
Hair.jpg

Do your kids invite their friends home?
jonty
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When I left the RN, I just let it grow - though getting it trimmed from time to time.

Eventually, I'd had enough, and had it cut.
Hair2.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
alicej

Post by alicej »

Jonty wrote:
alicej wrote:I save loads of cash by just letting my hair keep growing - no gadget required. Every couple of years I persuade a not-drunk friend to try to cut it in a roughly straight line around the back, then I dig the cut off hair into where my raspberries grow on my allotment (they're supposed to like the keratin). Then I ignore it again for a few years.

My mental image of you has taken a bit of a knock!
jonty

It looks fine!

thirdcrank wrote:The big event of the day around here has been the first phase of digital switchover on the telly. Most of the rest of the country has forgotten this already.

Oh I didn't know it was happening right now in Leeds, I guess it's been advertised on telly? Once we switch and my little black and white telly stops working I'm going to save money by doing without a tv altogether. I currently only pay £48 a year for a B&W license and I'm not shelling out for a new tv and a colour license when I hardly watch the thing anyway. Not having a tv saves loads of time too - did you know that the national average viewing time is 4 hours a day, and those who watch less than an hour a day are outnumbered by people watching more then SEVEN HOURS a day?
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

alicej wrote: I'm going to save money by doing without a tv altogether.

Not having a telly will mark you out as being eccentric
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Telly?
Read all my posts on the subject!

We don't buy newspapers either.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nettled Shin wrote: ... Not having a telly will mark you out as being eccentric
I suspect we are already beyond that point, as suggested by the plunging TV revenues. I can't stand the b@@@@@ thing although my wife is a big fan. Iwas reading something the other day which remarked that so-called "reality TV" is anything but. My own suggestion would be repechage TV as it just keeps giving yesterday's men (and women) another futile snatch at elusive and illusory fame.