togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
corshamjim

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by corshamjim »

I've spent a pleasant if slightly damp evening fettling the new handlebars. All went pretty well (which is a bit of a novelty for me). I had to fish the bottom nut of the expander stem out of the steerer, but that wasn't a great surprise as I hadn't taken it out and greased it for about two years (took the opportunity to do that this time).

Anyway without any further ado, for your delectation or derision ...

ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

corshamjim wrote:

Well you won't see another :mrgreen: , but it's comfortable and you like it, then it doesn't matter about the rest of us :)
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Looks alright to me, Jim :)
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

robc02 wrote:Looks alright to me, Jim :)

Thanks Rob, it seems to ride pretty well too. In fact it feels like a very different bike now. Cable pull on the brake levers isn't a problem.

I really like these under-drop brake levers. When I can get the parts to swap brifters for triggers I'll fit some on my road bike too.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I really like these under-drop brake levers.

Don't you miss the "on the hoods" riding position that you get with ordinary drop bar levers? I know I would, that's how I ride most of the time.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

robc02 wrote:Don't you miss the "on the hoods" riding position that you get with ordinary drop bar levers? I know I would, that's how I ride most of the time.

I find operating brake levers from the hoods rather awkward. I can't see how it can be a good thing to have to tilt the lever like that when it's more efficient to squeeze it like on an ordinary MTB lever. I didn't feel happy at all braking on some of the long descents in a sportive I did in the Mendips recently. On the hoods I couldn't get enough leverage and in the drops I felt like my face was rather too close to the tarmac for comfort! I expect I'm just feak & weeble.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

corshamjim wrote:Image

Looks like it's down to me and Littleman to maintain nice looking ones :roll:

Graham, wot yates drops :twisted:
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Looks like it's down to me and Littleman to maintain nice looking ones :roll:

Graham, wot yates drops :twisted:

Mine is the more authentic though .. because of course the original BSA Para Bike was intended for drops (behind enemy lines). 8)

... igmc
littleman

Post by littleman »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Looks like it's down to me and Littleman to maintain nice looking ones :roll:

Hmmm! ....... seeing as I seem to have been drawn into this --------------------

Jim...... I must admit to my eyes it appears as though it has fallen between two stools somewhat? Of course I can only comment on the visual aspect of the bike.

Truth be told whilst this isn't my cup of tea, I would actually fight to the last in order to defend your right to do what ever you wanted to do with your own property. As for how it performs?? I wouldn't have a clue as I'm nought but a babe in arms when it comes to the the technical aspect of such a wondrous creation.

Please don't fall out with me!!!!!
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

littleman wrote:

Hmmm! ....... seeing as I seem to have been drawn into this --------------------

Jim...... I must admit to my eyes it appears as though it has fallen between two stools somewhat? Of course I can only comment on the visual aspect of the bike.

Truth be told whilst this isn't my cup of tea, I would actually fight to the last in order to defend your right to do what ever you wanted to do with your own property. As for how it performs?? I wouldn't have a clue as I'm nought but a babe in arms when it comes to the the technical aspect of such a wondrous creation.

Please don't fall out with me!!!!!

If you think being entirely reasonable will get you anywhere here, think again :lol:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

littleman wrote:Truth be told whilst this isn't my cup of tea, I would actually fight to the last in order to defend your right to do what ever you wanted to do with your own property.

spot on. him, if it rides better for you that's what matters :mrgreen:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Are 315 pages enough yet?

:shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Mick F wrote:Are 315 pages enough yet?

:shock:

What are you suggesting, Mick? Starting a volume 11, whilst someone prepares an index to vol 1? :roll: :wink:

Steve (wot ain't volunteerin')
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:Are 315 pages enough yet?

i'd happily bet we'd merely be on page 313 if not for none-togglers adding pointless comments. :roll:

as for an index, i've thought about it :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hubgearfreak wrote:as for an index, i've thought about it :wink:
:D
It's just that I've watched this thread multiplying as the months have gone by.
Are you lot actually breeding Sturmey Archer hubs and toggle chains?
:wink:
Mick F. Cornwall