Tried my recent e-bay purchase today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elizabethsdad

Tried my recent e-bay purchase today

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Got this delivered on Friday..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180714957083? ... 1438.l2649

and got around to tyring out it today. Everything seems to work just fine but it takes a bit of getting used to the difference in handling from a normal bike. I have only riden it solo and just round the car park at work - I want to get a bit more used to the handling before going out on public roads. I guess it will handle differently with someone on the back - have to try and get one of my colleagues at work to give it a go. Any handling tips welcome.

I also want to make a few improvments - mudgaurds, disc brakes and if not too difficult two wheel drive.

My hope is that I can persuade Mrs Lab Rat to try riding as stoker and the three wheel stability means we can take it gently without lots of wobbling.
delport

Re: Tried my recent e-bay purchase today

Post by delport »

Think you'll need a set of mirrors with something that long, also it may be difficult getting along cycle paths with bollards.
There is one in Fareham i always have to get off the bike just to get round, any time i go out with my cycle trailer.
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

What a gorgeous bit of kit. I hope you enjoy riding her :D
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Don't forget to lean into the corners :mrgreen: Unusual looking machine 8)
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

That's a beaut. If you want to ride on cycle paths, I suggest you take a stoker plus a couple of spare people to lift it over the gates.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

how much differant is it to a normal tandem to ride
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

No useful tips sorry, but what a cracker of a bike that is, damn cheap for a two wheeled tandem never mind a trike!

I'd love one of these or even an ordinary 2 wheel tandem so I could help some weaker, older[1]/wobbly cyclists out on some of the social rides we do.

[1] 82yo and still good for 55miles [2]
[2] If I push him up the hills :)
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

martin biggs wrote:how much differant is it to a normal tandem to ride

Never riden an ordinary tandem so I can't compare. My only other tandem exerience was as a stoker on an Ortleib back to back recumbent - cycling facing backwards is a very interesting experience indeed.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

delport wrote:Think you'll need a set of mirrors with something that long, also it may be difficult getting along cycle paths with bollards.
There is one in Fareham i always have to get off the bike just to get round, any time i go out with my cycle trailer.

Good point about mirrors - I have them on my other bikes, need to fit a bell as well. Have to think a bit about where to ride initially but as you say a lot of paths won't be doable. Hopefully it's size and unusual appearance will make it OK for road use as cars slow down for a look.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

£100 has to be a record for delivery costs even for SJS!
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

stewartpratt wrote:£100 has to be a record for delivery costs even for SJS!

I factored that in to my bidding - I think of it as having bought it for £600 was still seems like a reasonable deal.
drossall

Post by drossall »

For two wheel drive try Trykit - but it will cost you a bit. There were mudguards on my solo trike when I bought it, but I took them off; they aren't as useful as on a bike, because you aren't in the line of fire from the wheels, and they can be a bit of a nuisance owing to the compromises in fitting (I write as a convinced user of guards on bikes, but not on trikes). Obviously you want a guard on the front.

Also have a look at the Tricycle Association. Have fun! I've never tried a tandem trike.
delport

Post by delport »

stewartpratt wrote:£100 has to be a record for delivery costs even for SJS!

On ebay in the past it wouldn't be unheard of for the postage to be £500, and the item cost £100.
Ebay clamped done on the fee avoiders who were loading the postage.
Buy a laptop for 99p with £300 postage for example.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

drossall wrote:For two wheel drive try Trykit - but it will cost you a bit. There were mudguards on my solo trike when I bought it, but I took them off; they aren't as useful as on a bike, because you aren't in the line of fire from the wheels, and they can be a bit of a nuisance owing to the compromises in fitting (I write as a convinced user of guards on bikes, but not on trikes). Obviously you want a guard on the front.

Also have a look at the Tricycle Association. Have fun! I've never tried a tandem trike.

Thanks for the links. I will definitely look into the trykit conversion - had a look on there just now and Longstaff 1wd to 2 wd is £285, doubt I can get something decent for much less than that. Riding it again today with a friend on the back did alter the handling slightly but it is still quite hard to handle and this does feel like it is down to the 1 wd giving off-centre pushing. Of course as we were both Tandem novices that didn't help much either :-)