Things I wish someone would make

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Things I wish someone would make

Post by Mick F »

I use a couple of lazzy bands when I have the trailer. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of bike manufacturers to have a button to press on the brake levers that would hold them on tight.

Brake levers have a button to allow the brakes to retract further so you can get the wheels out easily, so another button or a ratchet system to hold the brakes tight wouldn't be difficult. Or perhaps a lever on the brakes callipers themselves.
Mick F. Cornwall
Anura

Post by Anura »

I still think the old style grit catchers are a good idea, although I have never had some myself. Someone on here said they had some but I couldn't fathom a way to attach them. I can repair a puncture, although fairly inept at it unless sitting at home with dry hands and rubber gloves to help get a grip.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mick F wrote:I use a couple of lazzy bands when I have the trailer. It wouldn't be beyond the wit of bike manufacturers to have a button to press on the brake levers that would hold them on tight.

Brake levers have a button to allow the brakes to retract further so you can get the wheels out easily, so another button or a ratchet system to hold the brakes tight wouldn't be difficult. Or perhaps a lever on the brakes callipers themselves.

I use a velcro strap. I'm not certain I'd want a button to hold the brakes on. I'd probably hit it accidently at 20 mph. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gaz

Post by gaz »

Parts for my bike's transmission that won't be considered obsolete when I come to replace them. :roll:

Or better still replacements for the bits that are already considered obsolete. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

A decent hub gear.

Puts on tin hat and ducks. :lol:
The Only Cyclist In The Village
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

There are loads of things I've thought of. Are there any sports/cycling engineering companies that you can approach with ideas? I'm far too much of a follower and coward to ever try to get a product made myself. The guy who came up with the Bike Eye downtube mirror seems to be doing well now after years of plying his wares at trade shows---I see his product in Halfords. You can have a daft idea for free: how about a bicycle ejector seat...better to fall from 15 feet up than be hit by a car at 60MPH. You could set it as a security device, too, so that scallies are randomly ejected after stealing your bike. Or how about prism spectacles for use on a road bike, so you can keep your head in a natural downward position, but still see forward; it would prevent that crick in your neck from developing, and improve your aerodynamics, too.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Mick F wrote:... Or perhaps a lever on the brakes callipers themselves.

You can set up the brakes so the "relaxed" position spaces the blocks ready for braking, and the "closed" position actually clamps the wheel.

I accidentally discovered this when I put wheel with wider rims on my racer. It would also make a feeble security measure: twiddle the knobs and a scroat couldn't quickly ride off on it.

nettled shin wrote:... how about a bicycle ejector seat...

Ha! Great idea. But knowing my incompetance, I'd set it off by accident.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

snibgo wrote:
Mick F wrote:... Or perhaps a lever on the brakes callipers themselves.

You can set up the brakes so the "relaxed" position spaces the blocks ready for braking, and the "closed" position actually clamps the wheel.

Agree, but mine have the release on the lever not the brake calliper. My old Campag brakes (Record and Victory) had a release lever next to the calliper adjuster - so that would work ok as a hand brake.

However, if I release my Ergo levers, it puts them too far away from the 'bars to reach easily.

Out later this morning with the Trailer to do a spot of shopping. I'll get my lazzy bands ready.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Ash28 wrote:A decent hub gear.

Often thought that if Campag made hub gears they'd have 20 speeds, have spoke flanges that wouldn't break, weigh half as much as a Rohloff but probably cost twice as much.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'd probably buy one then!

Cost is a big disadvantage of course, but the Rohloff doesn't have enough gears - the ones that it does have are too far apart - and it weighs a ton.

So if Campag could do one at half the weight with 20 ratios, it would be worth the cost.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote:

Often thought that if Campag made hub gears they'd have 20 speeds, have spoke flanges that wouldn't break, weigh half as much as a Rohloff but probably cost twice as much......

....and be superceeded in three years with an even lighter less durable model :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes. Probably!
But you don't have to follow the fashion. I'm still on 10sp and will remain so.
Mick F. Cornwall
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

it's a great opportunity for us to hear of your experiences, as you've obvioulsy tried them ALL
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Mick F wrote:But you don't have to follow the fashion. I'm still on 10sp and will remain so.

wasn't moving to 10 speed following fashion in the first nplace, or was it what your bike came with? :roll:
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Often thought that if Campag made hub gears they'd have 20 speeds, have spoke flanges that wouldn't break, weigh half as much as a Rohloff but probably cost twice as much......

....and be superceeded in three years with an even lighter less durable model :roll:

I've found Campag to be very durable. Am using a late sixties Gran Sport derailleur and it still works fine.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker