...who makes a good ladies bicycle for a small person?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
zerobuttons

...who makes a good ladies bicycle for a small person?

Post by zerobuttons »

We need to find a new bicycle for my better half who, so far, has been using children´s bicycles because of her height. These usually don´t last more than a few years because of the poor quality of the components.

Can anyone here point me to a manufacturer who makes frames for a person with a height of 150cm, who builds bicycles with quality components and whose products are available here in Denmark?

I hope someone can help me out. Thank you in advance.
stewartpratt

Re: ...who makes a good ladies bicycle for a small person?

Post by stewartpratt »

Islabikes? Children's bikes again, but the best children's bikes you can get.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I had a similar problem. Here's what I ended up doing.

http://forums.cyclingweekly.co.uk/showt ... cific-bike

The final bike has been well recieved.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Isla do decent "small adult" bikes as well - with components (like brake levers) appropriately scaled...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Any of the "flat feet" geometry bikes will do the job. The Electra Townie is well known but Raleigh and Giant do them too. My wife's friend is small and rides her Giant (paradoxically) with perfect ease.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
Robert

Post by Robert »

You could also look at Airnimal bicycles - I don't know if they're available in Denmark, but with 24" wheels and a low step over height, they're ideal for smaller people. My partner's 5'1", slightly bigger than 150 cms, but not much and she loves hers.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

Do ladies' bikes normally have a design that accomodates shorter arm length? If I am right I would be wary of using small unisex / gents bikes for this reason.
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

Islabike are the only firm I'm aware of to seriously think about bike fit for smaller people. They're not scaled-down versions of bigger bikes, they're machines designed from the ground-up for shorter riders with proportional handlebars, brake levers and cranks. The difference is dramatic, especially on the models with small wheels.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Most folding bikes will adjust to small people.
zerobuttons

Post by zerobuttons »

Thank you for all your answers. Both the Islabike and the Airnimal brands look very interesting. I´ll ask her to have a look at those.
Stumpy

Post by Stumpy »

It depends entirely on the type of bike that you are after, but Trek do a good range of small women's bike in a variety of sizes. I'm 155 cm and ride a Scott mountain bike, size Small (they also make XS) and a 46cm road bike with 650c wheels built, coincidentally, by a Danish company called Spectra. I'm extremely comfortable on both and they could accommodate someone slightly smaller. I'm now after a touring bike and will be going down the route of buying a 46cm frame equiping it with 26" wheels and suitable components of my own choice.
sarahinaberdeen

Post by sarahinaberdeen »

She'll have to try a few out. Her body geometry isn't the same as any one elses...

I'm 5'2" and have a mens small frame for both my touring (Revolution) and mountain bike (Scott). I tried female specific frames but found the reach too short, even borrowing a bike off a friend of the same height.
cole1988

Post by cole1988 »

if its road bike your after i know giant do there "avail" range witch is aimed for ladies by using narrower bars and shorter top tubes compared to there gents range think they start from £450 and size to a 43cm frame and also Bianchi do a "dama Bianca" witch like the giant is aimes at women and they size to a 44cm frame.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Thorn do small sizes and will send abroad. One of their staff is Lisa, herself only 5 ft so well placed to advise. You can pick and mix components to some extent so you would have quite a lot of flexibility.

They are a bit expensive, perhaps, but very good.
WaitForPete

Post by WaitForPete »

Look at Islabikes, their big kids bikes are large enough for small adults and are well designed and built. They may need small tweaks to get the reach exactly right.