tightness in muscle pain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
colin1

tightness in muscle pain

Post by colin1 »

After i,ve been riding for abt 20mins or so I,ve been getting tightness in the muscle of the top of my right leg. Could this be due to not warming up enough or is my seat not high enough. Also I need any tips for keeping fit over winter. Done three rides Manchester to blackpool, wales heart foundation ride and manchester 100kms ride. I would like to keep this present fitness over winter if possible. Anyone able to help me please I would be very grateful. Colin Leigh.
Ayesha

Re: tightness in muscle pain

Post by Ayesha »

Firstly, find a local bike-fitting service.
Secondly, either join a gym or purchase a home trainer. The cost effective option is a CycleOps Wind turbo trainer. It has a realistic Road Load Curve but is whirringly noisy.
Thirdly, is the pain from the front or back of your upper leg? Most people have one leg longer than the other. Only by a few millimetres. Which is your longer leg? Mine is my left, so I got pain in the outer front of my right leg until I lowered my saddle to match my shorter leg.
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

I can't help about the muscle pain, but if you want to keep fit over winter, buy some lights, warm clothes and possible studded tyres and keep on riding! I commute year round and it is only illness or extreme gale force+ winds which stop me. I find the winter rides are slower than summer but some of my best rides have been on cold, clear winter days.
Mark
colin1

Post by colin1 »

Thanks for yr advice. I find now that when the pain comes on I stop and stretch the leg which is my left leg, stretching until the pain goes. Also i,m thinking my longest leg is the right one. I,m taking yr advice and buying some warm winter cycling gear and then i can continue to keep cycling through the winter months. Must say I,m looking forward to a cool day in winter .
colin1

Post by colin1 »

colin1 wrote:Thanks for yr advice. I find now that when the pain comes on I stop and stretch the leg which is my left leg, stretching until the pain goes. Also i,m thinking my longest leg is the right one. I,m taking yr advice and buying some warm winter cycling gear and then i can continue to keep cycling through the winter months. Must say I,m looking forward to a cool day in winter .

pain in my back muscle at top of left leg.
nez

Post by nez »

This is just a ''try it' suggestion. I had a similar pain (except both in the leg and at the bottom of my back on the left) until I moved my seat forward and the nose down. The movement was subtle - less than an inch forward and only a degree or two nose down. It's an inexpensive experiment for you!
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

If stretching works, you must be habitually tightening and forgetting to let go. Have you tried riding fixed? It teaches you to let go of muscles when you are not using them in the pedalling cycle. Just do a few short rides on the flat. Better still find a local teacher of the Alexander Technique and learn to "ride fixed" all over, not just the legs.

good luck