choice of three

Trips, adventures, bikes, equipment, etc.
drew

choice of three

Post by drew »

Can anyone help in deciding which of these three bikes to buy as the sales are now on and there are some amazing offers to be had.Im a seasoned road biker and am looking to get into mountain biking to keep up my fitness during the winter months.About 90% of the time ill be on trails around the Cairgorms of north Scotland. :?:

Specialized Rockhopper 2011

Trek 6000 2011

GT Zasker Comp 2011

Any advice will be very helpfull

Drew
porky

Re: choice of three

Post by porky »

I have always been impressed with the quality of Specialized bikes, even at the lower end of the price range. I have had my Rockhopper for four years now and it has taken a geat deal of off-road abuse with a big guy sitting on it.

The first thing to fail on it was the fork (Dart 2) but hopefully the fork on newer bikes is more robust. The only other bits to wear out were the headset and wheels after three years.

When it finally dies I will be happy to replace it with another one, or I might save some money and get a Hardrock because they are pretty good too.
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Personally I'd ride each and see what you think. Subtle differences in geometry have a big effect on the feel.
Jalan

Post by Jalan »

Drew
Have you seen this super offer ?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58986
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

What did you decide on in the end?

I'd go for the Specialized, simply because I love them. I'm lucky enough to have a Rockhopper and a Stumpy. Superb bikes.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I've owned a Trek 6000, I thought it was a good bike, nice frame, good tyres, brakes and wheels. On the downside I think you would quickly want to replace the saddle, stem and grips and overall the bike geometry was more race,less comfort, in fact my race bike was comfier. On reflection I wished I'd bought a Spesh Rockhopper or a Kona Blast.