Why do people pack up cycling?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Why do people pack up cycling?

Post by Mick F »

Ayesha wrote:Road Load can never be ignored
Yes it can.
Riding on the flat, takes LESS energy than walking! If you take that (very small) figure as zero, it takes little more than zero to speed up a bit - but only for a fit cyclist. The fitter you are, the less effort is required.

Karlt: Good post.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think we're arguing the same point here.

I agree about the physics and the maths.

I maintain that a fit cyclist uses less EFFORT than an unfit cyclist. Even if the power/work involved is the same, the fit cyclist will take it in his stride without working up a sweat.

The fitter the cyclist, and the more sensible the gear ratios, the easier it is to climb hills. Very fit plus very sensible equals very little effort.
Mick F. Cornwall
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

"Can someone explain the term Weekend Warrior and why it appears to be used in derogatory context?"

Eileithyia,
I was always given to understand that the term 'weekend warrior' really referred to the reservists in the TA, being as that's when they were away on training exercises. Nothing derogatory about that.

Although I also think that it has been hijacked by that certain brand of person with the 'work hard - play hard' view of life. Probably has a very long and strenuous working week, possibly a trader in the golden mile or a sales executive; then spends all weekend rewarding themselves with a major expenditure of adrenalin with such pursuits as paintballing, off-road track driving, base jumping or whatever else fuels their high adrenalin fix. This is a different beast to the former, they probably say the phrase, "would you rather live a long and dull life, or a short and exciting one". They are destined for burn-out and they are to be pitied.
Stupid question anyway, I want a long and exciting life :D
Alan
Si

Post by Si »

I always thought, in cycling terms, that it was a close relation to "all the gear and no idea" and to "fair weather cyclist".

The weekend warrior being the person who only rides at weekends, _and_ who acts like a big time racer, but who doesn't bother getting the miles in during the week to back up their image.

Thus a derogatory term.

BTW, this is just an explanation of my understanding of the term - it does not mean that I have anything at all against people who only ride at weekends.
WaitForPete

Post by WaitForPete »

Some of the stories on here about club members "delighting on blowing away" newbies are horrific.

Any CTC section that indulges such behavior should be ashamed of itself. All good clubs run shorter / easier rides for new (and old!) riders.

Having said that, this is what put me off the CTC for years, having experienced it from Worthing Excelsior in the 80s.

Try Mountain Biking instead, we're much nicer!
Abu Milhem

Post by Abu Milhem »

I haven't yet at 57. I had a rotten start in cycling as a child - there were very few opportunities and places to cycle in Beirut where I was brought up so I didn't start riding regularly until living in London in my late 20s. I can't see me stopping anytime soon. Perfectly happy with my own company or with my son on the back of a tandem. I have tried club rides and other organised rides and they are generally not my cup of tea although I have enjoyed rides with the TA (not the Territorials - the other ones) and still ride with the local tandem club section.

I agree many of the points raised above but I think ill health must be a difficult one to get over.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Alan D wrote:"Can someone explain the term Weekend Warrior and why it appears to be used in derogatory context?"

Eileithyia,
I was always given to understand that the term 'weekend warrior' really referred to the reservists in the TA, being as that's when they were away on training exercises. Nothing derogatory about that.

Although I also think that it has been hijacked by that certain brand of person with the 'work hard - play hard' view of life. Probably has a very long and strenuous working week, possibly a trader in the golden mile or a sales executive; then spends all weekend rewarding themselves with a major expenditure of adrenalin with such pursuits as paintballing, off-road track driving, base jumping or whatever else fuels their high adrenalin fix. This is a different beast to the former, they probably say the phrase, "would you rather live a long and dull life, or a short and exciting one". They are destined for burn-out and they are to be pitied.
Stupid question anyway, I want a long and exciting life :D
Alan

Aren't they "Rubberdaggers" ?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Sorry Mick F.

At least lurkers won't be any confusion from now on... :wink:

According to popular belief however, hills NEVER get easier. There's something in a novice cyclist's psyche that demands the hill is climbed faster; and other cyclists are overtaken ????? Uh!

It takes an experienced cyclist to calm down and climb a hill leisurely as you describe, or let other cyclists get on with how they want to ride....

Yes, this IS the Cyclist's Touring Club forum, and 'energy conservation' and 'friendliness' are the name of the game here. :)
Last edited by Ayesha on 4 Oct 2011, 10:06am, edited 2 times in total.
meic

Post by meic »

"Rubberdaggers" I have never heard that expression before.

Nowadays the TA are involved in more combat than the regulars were in my day.

If there is any militaristic, war-mongering jingoism to be spouted it is against peace time soldiers (like me) from real combat experienced troops.

The only real distinction between TA and regulars now is that the TA get a raw deal OUT of the combat zone.
Yma o Hyd
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

meic wrote:"Rubberdaggers" I have never heard that expression before.

Nowadays the TA are involved in more combat than the regulars were in my day.

If there is any militaristic, war-mongering jingoism to be spouted it is against peace time soldiers (like me) from real combat experienced troops.

The only real distinction between TA and regulars now is that the TA get a raw deal OUT of the combat zone.

My mistake.
They are Royal Marines Reservists, not Territorial Army Reservists.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Back to the subject of why people 'pack up' cycling.

A group of guys at work many years ago decided they'd ride a charity event.

They did some 'gentle' training around the Warwickshire flatlands, visiting the pub as reward for their hard work ???
They were 'full of it' for weeks before the event. Cycling is Ab Fab.

On the event, they were faced with 100 km which included The Brailes ( Yes, it was the Birmingham to Oxford ). They got off and walked.
At the finish, they lay on the Oxpens meadow and didn't move for an hour. I cycled back to Birmingham.

Nothing was said again about 'cycling'. None of them ever mentioned 'cycling' as something they had done. No bicycles other than mine were seen in the works bike shed.

These were people who didn't research and failed to appreciate just how energetic and demanding cycling really is.
The "Five week wonder", as I described the whole incident.
Jeds

Post by Jeds »

I haven't read all this thread, so someone might have already asked this question (and someone else may have replied).
For what reasons do people in the Netherlands give up cycling ? Or in any other country where proper cycling facilities are provided.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Why do people 'Pack up' anything?

Lack of excitement.

Even riding round the countryside on a bicycle answering questions on a piece of folded card loses its excitement after 120 such excursions.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ayesha wrote:Lack of excitement.
My point. Thank you.
I was being long-winded and circuitous about it, but you've put it very succinctly indeed.

The better you get at something, the less effort you need to do it, so if you want the same buzz from it, you need to do more and more.

There are only so many hours in a day.
Mick F. Cornwall
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I was surprised to see how many seniors ( including myself ) take up Time Trialing.

There is always scope to do better than last time out. 10 miles in less than half an hour. The whole event takes less time than a round of golf, plus, its a damned good LT session.