Helmet Cover

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Helmet Cover

Post by AlastairS »

Hi,
I get a cold head in the winter with the cold air blowing into the vents of my helmet and so I want to buy a cycle helmet.

I have seen two types on the net, one is a goretex (£30) and the other Altura (£13).

Can you recommend one of these or another type ?

thanks,
Alastair
AlastairS

Re: Helmet Cover

Post by AlastairS »

Sorry , I meant a Cycle helmet cover. Alastair
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not looked at your links but check the size before buying. I've a couple of older Goretex ones and they won't come anywhere near fitting over my current helmets.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I had a helmet cover and found it very warm to wear, I must say I live in Cornwall where it doesn't often get extremely cold. I find it better to wear a buff or similar on my head under the helmet.
'Kernow bys Vyken'
Big T

Post by Big T »

Better to wear something underneath you helmet, like a Buff or a skull cap. I was riding in -10 degrees last winter and didn't get a cold head. I normally wear a Buff but have a Pearl Izumi skull cap for when it's really cold.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
porky

Post by porky »

+1 for a thin, close fitting hat that covers your ears. Something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-skull-cap/
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

thanks everyone for your replies.
I was thinking of wearing something underneath my helmet as well as the cover.
Last winter I used a thin balaclava underneath, but my head still felt cold on some mornings.
I live in Aberdeen where it is a bit colder than other parts of the UK. 0c to -5c is not uncommon in the winter mornings.

I'll probably go for the cheaper Altura helmet cover if I don't hear differently from someone else.
As for something under my helmet, do everyone recommend the dhb skull cap or dhb windtex skull cap ?

thnks,
Alastair
byegad

Post by byegad »

I suffer similarly in winter. I don't wear a helmet but at the temperatures you mention I'd be wearing a cycle cap with a fleece or knitted hat pulled over the top, or a balaclava with cap over the top. So maybe a helmet cover plus a fleece hat worn under your helmet might work.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
WaitForPete

Post by WaitForPete »

I use a thin cover for my head and keep a carrier bag handy for when that is insufficient or it rains!
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I have a waterproof cover I use on my helmet when its cold or wet. Very handy thing to have and keeps your head warm very well. Mine was a cheap one from amazon.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thanks for your comments. I'm pretty sure i'll go for a helmet cover . just not sure if a simple waterproof one from e.g. Altura will be sufficient or whether its worth double the cost to by a Goretex one. Anyone got any opionions on these?