Deep Muscle in Buttock Very Sore

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
island girl

Deep Muscle in Buttock Very Sore

Post by island girl »

Hi, I have been cycling for many years with the usual aches and pains. In the last 3 weeks I have increased my cycling, going over familiar routes which always include a few hills, maybe 4 times a week instead of 2/3 times. I feel I haven't overdone my training. However this morning I woke with a severe pain deep in my left buttock. Sore when I walk and after sitting for a while. No lower back pain or thigh pain but slight discomfort in inner thigh. I have googled this and think I have damaged the muscle on my sit bone, deep in my bum. Has anyone else had this? What remedy did they use? Did you stop cycling for a while? Hope not as I want to keep training?
The Mechanic

Re: Deep Muscle in Buttock Very Sore

Post by The Mechanic »

There is a guy down the road that knows about these things. I think his name is Dr. Somethingorother. I suggest you go and see him.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sounds like you've pulled a muscle.

I'm no expert at all in physiology, but I recommend you rest muscles rather than use them. I reckon you visit the doc as well, but perhaps all he will say is to take Ibrufrofen and rest up.
Mick F. Cornwall
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Difficult to say via a forum but could be piriformis syndrome. Best see your GP for advice though; most things (including PS) can be sorted with rest/analgesia/physio/exercises.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
boris

Post by boris »

after seeing the gp you might get more attention from a sports physio.
in our area you can phone yourself directly into nhs physio, just ask for the tel no at the surgery or local hospital.

It could be a muscle or tendon or ligament strain, but there also bursae in those parts which can become inflamed. Most advice will be to ease off and do something different for a while to let it settle, then think about why it happened in the hope you can correct your habits.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Thanks everyone for replies. Yes, i know I should go to the Dr but unless I have something really serious I feel my Doc is condescending,
so I don't go.
Wildduck: Agree it is Periformis Syndrome - one of the remedies is to sit on a tennis ball (don't laugh) and roll the muscle over it. I have been doing this
and deep heat treatment and it really works. Agony, at the time but the pain is disappearing fast.
Think I need to do warm up exercises before and after I cycle, something I never do. A favourite route has me cycling into a 20% climb just after 1 mile. Not enough to warm up. Will be more careful in future. Thanks again.
mr riff raff

Post by mr riff raff »

Unless your Dr either rides a bike or runs or something similar, which isn't going to happen, don't waste your or their time. They'll just end up sending you to the local hospital's physio dept. This will take weeks to sort out. Then when you see a physio, who will be more than adequate, the appointments will be once a week (good) and for 15-20 minutes (bad)
If you're prepared to cough up £50 (ish) for an initial consulatation and £40 (ish) for follow up sessions then you'll get 45 minute sessions which will fix it quicker.
The downside is obviously the cost, but if you have the funds then just go private now and get it over and done with.
All from personal experience I add.
The hardest part is finding one. Personal recommendation is best of course. I can help if you're anywhere near Bedford.
And the tennis ball is a killer. Try it on your IT band down the side of your thigh. You'll be in tears!!
All from personal experience I add.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
old orbit tourer

Post by old orbit tourer »

Had similar a long time ago, I found that adjusting the rake of my seat finally got rid of it.
island girl

Post by island girl »

Had similar a long time ago, I found that adjusting the rake of my seat finally got rid of it.

What does 'rake of my seat' mean?
diapason0

Post by diapason0 »

I guess, the angle. Try dropping the nose of the saddle very slightly. I also find that it's important to make sure that the saddle is absolutely in line with the centre-line of the frame. I inadvertently got it slightly wrong when I dropped the saddle, and it was very uncomfortable.
N
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I had a similar problem. I shelled out for a bike fit (turns out that my saddle was 2cm too high, and I was too far stretched out). To cure my "no arch, flat feet" I had some custom built insoles (included in the bike fit), and some wedges in each shoe, and finally, moving the cleat on the shoe of the side of the body that had the pain (if that makes sense).
cycleard

Post by cycleard »

island girl wrote:Thanks everyone for replies. Yes, i know I should go to the Dr but unless I have something really serious I feel my Doc is condescending,
so I don't go.
Wildduck: Agree it is Periformis Syndrome - one of the remedies is to sit on a tennis ball (don't laugh) and roll the muscle over it. I have been doing this
and deep heat treatment and it really works. Agony, at the time but the pain is disappearing fast.
Think I need to do warm up exercises before and after I cycle, something I never do. A favourite route has me cycling into a 20% climb just after 1 mile. Not enough to warm up. Will be more careful in future. Thanks again.

I have had exactly the same thing...it's like an itchy pain that you really want to scratch! I took me a while to realise that it was deep inside my glutes actually but i did what you have obviously been told and rolled around on a tennis ball. After a couple of days it went away..
Please do not use your signature to carry advertising.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3661
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Hi Island Girl, I hope you are overcoming this. I think a physio appointment would be wise.
My wife developed a hip bursitis ,two months ago. Walking was very painful ,our doctor was very sympathetic and in fact said she have gone see her sooner.

Weekly physio treatment is helping but progress is slow.

If you are a CTC member there is a letter in the current magazine regarding bursitis ,it is suggested that lowering saddle slightly might help.

I must do that on my wife's bikes and on the tandem.