togglechaintour bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
steve browne

Re: togglechaintour bikes

Post by steve browne »

Hi Litleman,
I don't actually own a Tilley hat yet but my dad does and has had it for years. I remember being very impressed when he told me that it could pass undamaged through the alimentary canal of an elephant. I anticipate inheriting it from him in due course. He is currently 79 and cycling regularly so I hope I don't end up with it for twenty years. Will you be posting a picture of your hat in action?
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

steve browne wrote:I remember being very impressed when he told me that it could pass undamaged through the alimentary canal of an elephant.

:shock: That begs a few questions :shock:

...c'mon then, what's the answers? :shock:
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

A google search for "Tilley hat eaten by elephant" will probably provide you with much more than you really want to know!
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

Redhayes bridge over the M5 opened recently. It has fancy LED lighting and provides good views of the Exe estuary and motorway traffic. It is for cyclists and pedestrians only. I like the way the lean of the railings alters on the bridge approach. Maybe you can all come and enjoy it if there is ever a Togglechain push and ride event in Devon!

Redhayes bridge.jpg
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

We drive under that bridge on our way to see my parents in Bishopsteignton. I'd certainly be up for a ride somewhere around there and I'd love to see the bridge properly rather than just from the road underneath.

The last time I was riding anywhere near there was last year's Tour Ride before the bridge was there. I did the shorter route from Honiton to Teignmouth. Unfortunately I didn't have any means of transporting my Pashley so did it on my 7-speed derailleur geared Dahon folder. Peak Hill (the one up from Sidmouth) was challenging, but I managed (just) to pedal up it without dismounting.
ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

steve browne wrote:Maybe you can all come and enjoy it if there is ever a Togglechain push and ride event in Devon![/attachment]

Well that's down to you, ain't it? :wink:
PW

Post by PW »

I have a Tilley - the green one made of cotton duck. :lol: Ok for flat towpaths, brilliant in thunderstorms but I don't wear it on Peak District rides. At 50mph downhill that chin strap would strangle the elephant!
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Grumpy Nurse

Post by Grumpy Nurse »

[quote="GrahamNR17
Is it the wheel rim width or diameter that causing the problem, GN?[/quote]

Its the width of the rims, not the diameter.

I've looked around and decided on rigida chrina rims, but they haven't been ordered yet.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Grumpy Nurse wrote:I've looked around and decided on rigida chrina rims

fine rims, lace up nicely and suitable for all but heavy of loads and bumpy tracks. what tyres will you fit to them?
Grumpy Nurse

Post by Grumpy Nurse »

Not sure what tyres to use yet. Probably something heavy and puncture resistant.
corshamjim

Post by corshamjim »

We just came back from a mini-break up to the Peak District, taking in the Monsal Trail which runs for 16 miles or so from Bakewell and through various tunnels to near Wyedale. It's a great ride to do - lovely scenery, only just a bit uphill all the way and just a bit downhill on the way back, and mostly really well paved with no gates or other obstacles to contend with except the occasional dog-walkers and other cyclists. The cycle hire at Hassop Station rented us an electric bike (complete with Shimano hub gears and dyno-hub lighting - useful for the tunnels), but we found their tricycle more useful for stopping and admiring the scenery and more fun to ride. I took along the Pashley of course, and as usual it was eager to get in front of the camera at every opportunity! :roll:

ToggleChain Tourist - http://www.togglechaintour.co.uk/
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

[quote="corshamjim"the Peak District, taking in the Monsal Trail which runs for 16 miles or so from Bakewell and through various tunnels to near Wyedale. [/quote]

That looks very much like a TCT or even a Tourette route to me, Jim. So when's it gonna be? :D

Steve
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
corshamjim wrote:the Peak District, taking in the Monsal Trail which runs for 16 miles or so from Bakewell and through various tunnels to near Wyedale.

That looks very much like a TCT or even a Tourette route to me, Jim. So when's it gonna be? :D

Steve

Superb, thanks for volunteerin' 'im, Steve.

TCT4 - *tick*

TCT5, anyone?
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

GrahamNR17 wrote:Superb, thanks for volunteerin' 'im, Steve.

TCT4 - *tick*

TCT5, anyone?

Pleasure - it's a TCT the rain can't spoil :lol:
Steve ( what has a shiny, brass carbide miner's lamp all ready to go :oops: )
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Greybeard wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:Superb, thanks for volunteerin' 'im, Steve.

TCT4 - *tick*

TCT5, anyone?

Pleasure - it's a TCT the rain can't spoil :lol:
Steve ( what has a shiny, brass carbide miner's lamp all ready to go :oops: )

if this was on the TCT forum, I could call you a [inappropriate word removed] :lol: