Single or double sided pedals ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AlastairS

Single or double sided pedals ?

Post by AlastairS »

For commuting 12 mile round trip with several junctions, mini roundabouts and traffic light junctions, which style of pedal would you choose (single or double sided).
I may also use the bike on occassional weekends on local CTC outings.

Alastair
alicej

Re: Single or double sided pedals ?

Post by alicej »

I've only recently got into SPDs, and I really like them. I'm really glad I chose pedals with SPD on one side and a normal platform on the other.

When I'm stopping and starting a lot I like to have my right foot clipped in so I can pull the right pedal up when I've stopped, ready to set off again. Before SPDs I had to take my foot off, get it under the pedal to kick it up, then on top of the pedal to be ready to move - not a problem once or twice but much easier to be clipped in if I'm stopping and starting a lot e.g. in a queue of traffic.

When I'm stopping and starting a lot I like to have my left foot not clipped in, but still be able to pedal with it. That's because my left foot is the one I land on the ground with, so it goes on and off the pedal when I'm stopping and starting and I don't want to have to clip in and out and in and out when I'm only going a few pedal strokes at a time.

I've found that the SPD side is heavier, meaning that they quickly turn to be flat side up if I stop pedalling for about a second. That has meant that, with a little practice, I can easily choose which side up I want them at any time, which is working out pretty well for me. I don't know if all one-sided pedals will do this - mine are these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellgo-WPD-99 ... 256807c91b (that seller comes highly recommended too BTW viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23274)
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

The Shimano PD-M324 pedals have the same SPD/cage arrangement, but the weight is arranged so that they hang SPD to the back.
This has the advantage that to clip in you step forwards onto the pedal, but to mount without clipping in you just step backwards onto it. It gets automatic after a while.
This type of pedal also has the advantage of being able to take reasonably robust reflectors.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

double sided every time.
I feel unsafe if I'm not clipped in
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I know the vast majority of riders use SPDs - ie Shimano.

However there are other systems out there all with their own merits. I use Campag ProFit pedals - now very expensive! - and they are wonderful. Loads of float, superb support, adjustable, and easy to use and easy to click in and out.

Apart from Campag, we have Speedplay, Crank Brothers, Look, Time, Mavic ..... to name but a few. They all have their attributes.

I fancy the Speedplay ones.

I tried Shimano SPD single sided for a while, and wasn't that impressed with the support or the float. In fact, my feet came out a couple of times too.
Mick F. Cornwall
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I have double sided on my road/race bike, and single on my general purpose bike. This means I can wear trainers when I pop into town or go for spd's on longer (but not speedy) rides
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Thank you all, especially Alice for her very clear explanation.

533g - Shimano PD-M324

462g (pair) - Wellgo WPD-998 Clipless SPD MTB / Touring Bike Pedals

Campag ProFit pedals - sadly too expensive for me. These are road pedals. From an earliest thread most replies recomended SPD type pedals so I'm going
for these.

I think I'll pop into my LBS and have a look at what they have, meanwhile any more replies welcome.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ajsaddacs wrote:Campag ProFit pedals - sadly too expensive for me.
Too expensive for me as well!!!
You can only get Record now, I started off with Centaur, and then Chorus. FAR cheaper and basically identical.

I reckon you cannot go wrong with Shimano SPD , as they are absolutely everywhere and there are bargains of new ones also secondhand too.
Mick F. Cornwall
g00se

Post by g00se »

You might want to consider Time ATAC/Alium pedals.

They're SPD-like - so use the same 2-hole shoes. But they have a lot a float and are very 'positive' to get in an out of.

The Allroad single sided ones fall nicely, so that with cleats, you push your foot forward into them - and with the platforms, you just flick them back.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Time+All+Road&PartnerID=2324&gclid=CL-86-qq1qsCFYIMfAodw2BZPg

The bottom of the range one has a preset tension (low), the more expensive gripper ones have an adjustable tension and extra sole plates. 400g a pair.
PW

Post by PW »

The composite ATAC ROC S is a higher price but they last longer. The new ones now have adjustable tension too.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:double sided every time.
I feel unsafe if I'm not clipped in

+1.
Take a look at these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290600468206? ... 1423.l2649
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Double-sided for me.

Sometimes it's important to be able to click in quickly (eg starting off up a 20% hill), so you are clipped in by (or on) the first push with the clipping foot. I had 4-sided pedals once (eggbeaters), which allowed me to clip in with the pedals whizzing round at 100 rpm (fixed, unclipped for water splash).
If you can't manage, practice more :wink:
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Can you give me an idea of what its like wearing double sided pedals in slow moving traffic and you may have to stop soon and/or
you have to stop unexpectantly ? Do you feel comfortable and in control all the time , knowing you are not going to fall off?

I like the look of some of the single sided pedals with bigger support.
I also like the Time Atac S Roc , though they look like some space fighter.

The single sided pedals- useful if you are unsure being clipped-in at times like Alice described, otherwise only useful if you want to wear everyday shoes.
If the latter is true then single-sided should be a serious consideration I would have thought.
I'm going to think over my needs - i'll be on holiday for a few days and probably won't reply before then.

Alastair
alicej

Post by alicej »

I don't know if it's worth saying that there are pedals which have SPD on one side and a platform on the other, there are pedals which have SPD on two sides, and then there are pedals which have SPD or a platform on one side but which can't really be used on the other side at all.

Why on earth anyone would want to not be able to use one side of each pedal I have no idea, but I did nearly make the mistake of buying some like that, so thought maybe I should point out their existence if you're about to buy new pedals.

Also I'm not sure if you're new to SPDs. If you are then it's worth bearing in mind that they take a bit of getting used to, which is partly why I went for SPD-and-platform pedals. When you've got used to SPDs you'll feel confident about unclipping right at the last minute, and about using the "wrong" (middle) part of your foot to pedal for a few strokes when you want to stay unclipped. But when you first start it takes a while to learn this, and personally I found it really useful to be able to revert to normal pedals any time I wanted just by letting the pedal swing for a second to bring them platform side up.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I think a lot of feeling comfortable clipless pedals in slow moving traffic etc is down to confidence in you're bike handling skills and the ability to clip/unclip effortlessly/naturally,which are things that come with practice so as to become second nature.I rarely unclip until the last second before I stop,even on the tandem,I can count on one hand,in over 16years of clipless pedal use,the number of times I've been unable to unclip and fell,two of those times were due to very worn cleats.
For me clipless pedals are the most natural thing in the world,far better than clips and straps and more secure than flat pedals,both of which I find are a faff for different reasons,one you can't get out of quick enough and the other all to easily a foot can slip off.
Clipless pedals offer secure pedal/shoe contact and if set up right ease of unclipping and sideways float of the heel pivoting on the ball of the foot/cleat area for a natural position.
The beauty of double sided SPD's is that you're never on the wrong side of the pedal,with singlesided pedals it can become a faff to keep having to turn the pedal over to the right side,whichever side that is for whatever shoes you're wearing at the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden