What's a Comfy saddle

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Ayesha

Re: What's a Comfy saddle

Post by Ayesha »

There's not much to say about saddles and comfort, except....

"You'll get lucky eventually".

It might be sooner than later if you talk to a bicycle fitting service.
peterp

Post by peterp »

I have discovered the WTB Silverado and its fantastic. Very light and comfy.. audax riding and just out on sunday mornings,,,really good. Make sure your saddle is at the correct height and absolutely flat to the horizontal .. and the bars are at the correct reach and height. Might sound daft all this but to be at one with the bike all the elements must be spot on. Peterp
lynmorris

Post by lynmorris »

Don't go near a brooks ! I over 50 years of cycling have tried loads and the best 'for me' has been/is a san marco rolls,best of luck its a thankless task (and expensive one ) finding the right one.
stuporman

Post by stuporman »

Brooks B17 all the way. Even from new they're far more comfy than any of those plastic saddles. They just keep on getting better the more you use them.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

I used to be a Brooks saddle lover.

I still am. My road bikes both have Brooks Finesse saddle on them. They are beautiful. Stunning, and I spend time staring at them cos they look so fab. I have a honey tan on one bike and a black on the other, and both suit their steeds splendidly.

They are excellent up to about 60 miles for me.

I did a very long hilly ride in Yorkshire in July this summer, and something twanged. In my sit bone department. I have never had soft tissue issues, but since July I have had sit bone pain. On just the right sit bone, it 'pings' then I instantly get an electric shock feeling in right buttock down towards my rear knee area. It is so painful it fires me out of my saddle, and it takes ages to settle down. In fact, once the 'ping' occurs I am simply no longer comfortable for several days of riding.

Its a bit of a big problem for me, as I am up grading from 100km Audax to 200km Audax.

I searched the internet. I found a cure.

Its an ugly plastic model, but it works for me.

I recently rode a 200km and for once, I only had thoughts about the ride, the scenery, the other cyclists with me, and where could I get a pot of tea! What a change from trying to 'baby' my bum for miles!

The cure was one of these:

http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/sensat ... 00064.html

Might not be everyones cup of beauty, its not mine, but I dont see it when Im cycling and its made much longer rides dooable.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The two saddles I've found comfortable for me are San Marco Squadra,Selle Italia Turbomatic 2,both are no longer made.
I have a stash :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

lynmorris wrote:Don't go near a brooks ..................

My opinion, based on my experience over a similar 50 year period, is exactly the opposite.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Ok, I know a lot of folk will slate me for this.

I have had the RIDO saddle on both by bikes now (summer and winter models) since Sept 2011.

I havent needed to wear padded shorts or pants since. Yesterday 89 miles in running leggings. Infact, I have ridden 2 x 100km Audax rides since October 2011, plus all my shopping and commuting without padded shorts. You cant say much better comfort than that. Dunno why the saddle suits me, but it does. Superb, and I am SO pleased to have found it. I am able to commute to work in anything in my wardrobe. Not had pings in the sit bone department since last summer.

If any one is interested, I am selling my Brooks Ti Finesse, its not wanted or needed any longer. Just a pity about the view of the RIDO (cos it aint a beauty). I call it my beast saddle, but once Im on it, I dont care what it looks like anyway.

Now my saddle of choice for touring and commuting and pretty well any cycling frankly.

MC
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

I have two Specialized body geometry women's Windie saddles.
They are great on my solo bikes.
Not so good on the tandem.
Thank goodness for soup.
almason

Post by almason »

I have the B17 narrow. I quite like it, but think the normal b17 would have been ok. That said, it's thinner and suits me nicely.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

WrightsW5 wrote:
rualexander wrote:
yakdiver wrote:I have this one on my MTB, it's so good that I don't even need padded shorts for long rides, I tried it a few days back a 30 mile ride in just running shorts
http://www.hastingscycles.co.uk/acatalo ... r_Her.html

I had one of those Selle Italia Brooklands saddles for 5 years, it was one of the best saddles I've had over the years, very comfortable, but eventually wore out and developed a sag.
Usual story when came to replace it, they are no longer made!
That one in your link must be old stock.
Thats why I finally went for a B17.

Does anyone know why the hell they stopped making the Brookland? It seems a strange decision!

I finally got a Brookland today, very nice.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

peterp wrote:I have discovered the WTB Silverado and its fantastic. Very light and comfy.. audax riding and just out on sunday mornings,,,really good.

Very similar to my WTB Pure V Pro Black, which I like.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

axel_knutt wrote:
peterp wrote:I have discovered the WTB Silverado and its fantastic. Very light and comfy.. audax riding and just out on sunday mornings,,,really good.

Very similar to my WTB Pure V Pro Black, which I like.

Wilderness Trail Bikes. Sausalito, Marin Co IIRC.
They make stuff for Whyte.
I have a Whyte seat on my Dawes Giro 500 which I nip out on for a quick 100 km DIY Audax.

I pair it up with Endura FS260 shorts.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnW wrote:
lynmorris wrote:Don't go near a brooks ..................

My opinion, based on my experience over a similar 50 year period, is exactly the opposite.

Which proves that no one saddle fits all,if it did we'd all ride that one particular saddle.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hondated

Post by hondated »

Manx Cat wrote:Its an ugly plastic model, but it works for me.

MC if you think thats ugly you should look at one of their original yellow models that I have in my spares box.Mmm I wonder if its a collectible now.
I read what they had to say about the benefits it had to offer at the time and brought one off of them at a tri show but unfortunately I could not get on with it.

I also have a B17 in the same box amongst others but I also have a Brooks Champion Flyer on my bike which is heavy but comfortable so
I cannot criticise Brooks too much.
Given the improvement on the Rido though and your recommendation it may be worth another try as its not ultra expensive and looks much improved.