car parking at portsmouth

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
chesterpete

car parking at portsmouth

Post by chesterpete »

I'm considering sailing to France from, and back to, Portsmouth in May. I need to go in my car but long term car parking at the post would be £140 for 14 days - the ferry fair is only £97 for me and the bike! Does anyone know of a cheaper long term parking option in the Portsmouth area?
cheers
dinger207

Re: car parking at portsmouth

Post by dinger207 »

try the website- parkatmyhouse.com, it comprises people with room to spare on their driveway etc, and they usually have a reasonable charge
T other Dave

Post by T other Dave »

I used parkatmyhouse it was 2 mins from the port on cycle and £4 a day
http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/drivewa ... erry-port/ just checked now £5 day massive saving over the port and I'd arranged that if I missed my return ferry it was ok till I got back, he said no problems.
Dave
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

Great, thanks guys. :)
dodger

Post by dodger »

Last year I stayed in the Travelodge for 1 night and asked if I could leave my car there for 5 days.
The manager was happy for me to leave it in a corner of the car park at no cost.
BARRACH

Post by BARRACH »

Toured in Brittany and Normandy in September and used Parkatmyhouse.com.
Travelled from Scotland and had to stay overnight around Kendal area so couldnt
book into a hotel in Portsmouth to take up offers of parking at hotels. Booked an
overnight boat to St Malo. Arrived in Portsmouth around 4pm so had plenty of time
to find parking which was in the Southsea area not too far from the ferry port.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Its also possible to look at Google streetview to get an idea of parking restrictions. Typically crossing a footbridge over a busy road or railway means very different conditions for a short geographical distance
CJ

Post by CJ »

I enquired about on-street parking in Portsmouth, for a fortnight's holiday, and was told by people I know who live there to not even think about it. Central Portsmouth is extremely congested and parking is extremely difficult for locals, who are wise to tourists attempting to avoid the charges at the port. A new car that never moves is soon spotted. And if neighbours can't discover who it is, taking up valuable space in their street, these cars get reported as abandoned either to the council or an unscrupulous friend. You can probably get away with it for a weekend, but longer is risky.

Since I was organising a tour for a group of people, I made arrangements to leave a few cars (most people came by train) with a campsite in Denmead. That was quite a long way from the port, but not too far to cycle.

But I didn't know about parkatmyhouse.com. That's a perfect idea.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

What about taking the train instead. There are two stations in Portsmouth. As for leaving it on the street, I would advise against that. I was walking along a street near the Uni a few years ago and a couple of kids smashed a car window and stole the radio right in front of me. It was almost as if I wasn't there. They used one of those telescopic police battons. As there walked (not ran) way, one of them threatened me with it. Fortunately (for him) he was going in the opposite direct from me.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
delport

Post by delport »

If you are up in chester [chesterpete] the train will cost you very little to reach portsmouth, booked in advance you can travel from Liverpool for example for £13, and for £1 from london to portsmouth.

There is plenty of crime down here in Portsmouth, i wouldn't leave items outside for 24 hours never mind weeks.
People set fire to cars in some areas, and theft,vandalism and violence of all types is high here.

Hampshire has plenty going for it, but Portsmouth is as rough as Glasgow.I say that as a Glaswegian staying next to Portsmouth.
There are more than 2 train stations in portsmouth in response to the comment above, we have Fratton,portsmouth and southsea, and portsmouth harbour, all 3 of these stations are within 2 miles of the city centre.Portsmouth and southsea is the most central of the 3.And is the best one for the city centre.
[there is also Hilsea station in Portsmouth and Cosham station], those aren't as popular as the three i listed but are still not that far from the city centre.

If you have the choice just travel cheaply on the train and leave the car behind.Or if you have no choice, park next to someone's home as suggested in post 2.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I left my car at a boatyard in Fareham for a week and cycled in. No charge. Plenty of the people with boats leave there cars for a week and go sailing so they did not notice another one. My friend does have his boat there so thats how I new about it
CJ

Post by CJ »

delport wrote:booked in advance you can travel from Liverpool for example for £13, and for £1 from london to portsmouth.

Just a pound from London to Portsmouth? I live half-way along the railway line between those two cities and can't buy a ticket to either of them for less than a tenner: <Victor Meldrew> I just don't beleive it!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
delport

Post by delport »

CJ wrote:
delport wrote:booked in advance you can travel from Liverpool for example for £13, and for £1 from london to portsmouth.

Just a pound from London to Portsmouth? I live half-way along the railway line between those two cities and can't buy a ticket to either of them for less than a tenner: <Victor Meldrew> I just don't beleive it!

Yes it is a pound, and 50 pence booking fee.[And you can even take the bike along, though you aren't really supposed to] There is always a bike carriage on those trains i've found.
Try megabus/megatrain there are normally a load of £1 tickets available if you book at least 3 weeks in advance.
It's not difficult to get the £1- fare in both directions portsmouth-london-portsmouth.
So a return is £2-50 including booking fee, as they only charge one booking fee for however many trips you want.
I've had many £1- fares, sometimes i don't use the ticket though as something has come up.
Southampton-london is the same also £1-.

I can't afford the normal train fare between portsmouth and london, which is almost £30 return on the day so i just book in advance for trips to london.