Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ian Raleigh

Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Being as its getting darker and the days are less clearer i brought some high quality led lights
which had some very interesting instructions in setting up the lights and using them !

1 : Always wear an approved bicycle helmet, when riding to prevent death. :(

2: Riding a bicycle at night is dangerous and could result in serious injury or possible death. :cry:

3: In addition to its brightness, the beam is widely diffused, in case you need to use these lights
on public roads be sure to adjust the angle downward so not to blind oncoming traffic. :roll:

seesh ! They sure make cycling enjoyable and adventurous :shock:
Ayesha

Re: Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Post by Ayesha »

What about the "Always use stabilisers to avoid falling over sideways when stationary".

Come to think about it, I've never seen a "Tricycle helmet". Are those Taddies and Deltas exempt? :lol:
PW

Post by PW »

Sounds like the warnings on the Campag installation leaflet. It's a wonder anyone dare buy their stuff! :roll:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

A child seat I have suggests that the adult and child both wear helmets AT ALL TIMES - despite the backrest of the seat providing impact protection and nowhere to wear a helmet
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:A child seat I have suggests that the adult and child both wear helmets AT ALL TIMES - despite the backrest of the seat providing impact protection and nowhere to wear a helmet

WHAT? Even at the barbers? :shock:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Guy951 wrote: WHAT? Even at the barbers? :shock:

now thats funny :lol:
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Ian Raleigh wrote:2: Riding a bicycle at night is dangerous and could result in serious injury or possible death.

True. It is also true that occupying a bed at night is dangerous and could result in serious injury or possible death. And I believe the bed I recently purchased for my daughter did contain various warnings of dangers that one could experience from using it.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Guy951 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:A child seat I have suggests that the adult and child both wear helmets AT ALL TIMES - despite the backrest of the seat providing impact protection and nowhere to wear a helmet

WHAT? Even at the barbers? :shock:

Is this a new alternative to the pudding basin hair cut? Bringing a new meaning to the term "helmet hair"?

To the OP, were the lights any good otherwise?
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

7_lives_left wrote: To the OP, were the lights any good otherwise?

The lights are quite good for the money and have a quality feel to them,The front light bracket has a quick release mount
so you can swap from bike to bike quickly with ease and the body of the light is hinged so battery changing is safe and simple
The light itself is locked on by a simple press/click fitment and looks secure, There are five VERY BRIGHT clear led's which can
be set to 'constant' - 'flashing' - 'pulsing' five times a second, similar to modern cop lights !

The rear light is also led and has a quality feel to it too and has seven VERY BRIGHT led lights which are reflected through
a high quality lens, The red light can also be seen sideways, accessing the batteries is done by 'popping' off the front with a coin,
The light is clipped to a plastic holder which is clamped by a bolt so this can't be changed quickly from bike to bike, The lights can be
set to 'constant' - 'flashing' - 'chasing pulse' the light seems a little loose whilst attached to the holder but is still secure, but me being me !
i put a laggy band around the light/bracket just in case i hit a hole and it jumps off ! you never know with our roads.

Both come with batteries supplied, three in the front light and two in the rear light.

Visible up to 600m :idea:

Mounting brackets are made from a bendy - hardish black plastic which looks indestructible and will take the shocks from everyday biking.

Front light.
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bike-acces ... YYKg%3D%3D

Rear light.
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/bike-acces ... YYKg%3D%3D

Phew ! You did ask me :wink:
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31959

They're £35 at Amazon.

Country lanes,,, no problems.

The only H&S warning is "Do not look directly into the beam".

The other lamp on my bike is quite good as well. Its really good at Haloween. When my son stands in front of the beam, everyone can see his skeleton. :lol:
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

The instructions in the OP sound like they've been written by the chinese company who made the lights. Polite but a bit condescending.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Ayesha wrote:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31959

They're £35 at Amazon.

The other lamp on my bike is quite good as well. Its really good at Haloween. When my son stands in front of the beam, everyone can see his skeleton. :lol:

P7s are okay, 90 lumens per watt. But the Ayup lights are using Cree Xlamp drivers that give 111 lumens per watt. The upside being you can drive them less to get longer battery life. A torch is fine for most things, but they do fall off doing MTB night riding :)
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

gilesjuk wrote:
Ayesha wrote:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=31959

They're £35 at Amazon.

P7s are okay, 90 lumens per watt. But the Ayup lights are using Cree Xlamp drivers that give 111 lumens per watt. The upside being you can drive them less to get longer battery life. A torch is fine for most things, but they do fall off doing MTB night riding :)

They only fall off if the owner hasn't properly secured them.

My P7 is held on with two Jubilee clips. One round the lamp body and the second Jubilee clip. The second Jubilee clip round the handlebars cushioned with a piece of rubber sheet.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, a cyclist buys front lamps to suit his/her demands.

My demand is 60 minutes ( + 20 minutes if I get a Punc*ure ) of good light along country lanes.

OP's demand might be city cycling under streetlamps.

If I have to work at my company's site 3 miles from home, I'll use a Raleigh 20 with a Sturmey Archer Dynohub and the OE lamp ( 0.3A filament bulb ), which gives off a poor light for seeing with, but can be seen from the side by motorists.

I can't remember what H&S information was printed in the Raleigh owner's handbook when my mum bought the bike. It might have been something like "Read the Highway Code"; and in 1974, the only head protection available looked like five very ripe bananas. If one was adventurous, one could buy an Ice Hockey helmet.
delport

Post by delport »

Small thing, the English word is bought not brought, this is taught to pupils from 5 years old at primary school.
It annoys me that so many people use the word brought when they so often mean bought.

Brought is literally the new bought, too many people make this mistake.When people say brought you then have to turn the word around, translate and decipher it, and assume they meant to say bought.

I feel as if i'm living in a post Orwell world where only a few of us know what English words once meant, and that may'be i have it wrong, and the words i learnt as a child in English are in fact completely wrong.
It's frustrating really, that is all i can say.