Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Dawesboy

Re: Brought some new lights from WILKO'S !!

Post by Dawesboy »

Delport said....

"Small thing, the English word is bought not brought, this is taught to pupils from 5 years old at primary school.
It annoys me that so many people use the word brought when they so often mean bought."

"I feel as if i'm living in a post Orwell world where only a few of us know what English words once meant, and that may'be i have it wrong, and the words i learnt as a child in English are in fact completely wrong.
It's frustrating really, that is all i can say."

Hmmnnn...If this has become a forum for the correct use of the English language, then I must make Delport aware of the following...

The personal pronoun 'I' is always capitalized, even when used in a contraction. This is still taught from the age of 5 at primary school in England.
delport

Post by delport »

Dawesboy wrote:Delport said....

"Small thing, the English word is bought not brought, this is taught to pupils from 5 years old at primary school.
It annoys me that so many people use the word brought when they so often mean bought."

"I feel as if i'm living in a post Orwell world where only a few of us know what English words once meant, and that may'be i have it wrong, and the words i learnt as a child in English are in fact completely wrong.
It's frustrating really, that is all i can say."

Hmmnnn...If this has become a forum for the correct use of the English language, then I must make Delport aware of the following...

The personal pronoun 'I' is always capitalized, even when used in a contraction. This is still taught from the age of 5 at primary school in England.

Capitalised isn't spelt with Z in England.
Only in America is it spelt with Z.Nearly all Z spellings are American, not English.

I see you don't agree with me that when people want to say bought, they should always use the correct word?
I don't expect "A" level or [even "O" level] English from every poster on the forum, that is not the point i am raising, i just pointed it out, as it is becoming widespread on forums now to always use the word brought.
It's almost at the point where i wonder what English teachers are now teaching in the classroom, are they infact teaching all pupils to use brought, and have in fact replaced the word bought?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The OP both bought and brought the lights from Wilko's

Unless he either left the lights there, or they were delivered...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

delport wrote:<snip>

While we pedants love a good argymint about spelinz an gramer an that, we usually do it in the tea shop rather than hi-jack someone elses thread.
[XAP]Bob wrote:The OP both bought and brought the lights from Wilko's

Unless he either left the lights there, or they were delivered...

+1
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
karlt

Post by karlt »

Like a lot of pedants, he's not entirely correct. -ize is not a uniquely American spelling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_a ... tish_usage

"In fact" is two words.

"Brought" for "bought" is a very common replacement to the point that one can consider it a mere variation. Language can ultimately only be defined by common usage.
Last edited by karlt on 26 Oct 2011, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

Enough already with da pedantry concerning the use of Inglish. We've seen it all before - someone, like, starts pointing out the errors in others posts, then everyone else steams in pointing out the errors in theirs (there's, they'res, they're's, etc), then we have a bit of hand bags at dawn, innit. Any more squabbling and I'll have you all copying out the first chapter of 'eats shoots and leaves' a hundred times. Just ain't worth it.

FWIW, I think of the forum like this: it's just a load of people having a number of informal chats, like you might find in any pub or cafe. Now, if it were official reports or CVs or sumit like that then I'd expect the grammar/spelling/etc to be pinged, and I'm sure that the vast majority of people on the forum are perfectly capable of writing 'proper-inglish' if the occasion warrants it. So, if you were in a pub would you walk around, eavesdropping on conversations and butting in to point out all of the grammatical mistakes? I think not. So, as long as what people post here is easily comprehensible then I try to keep my grammar/spelling/syntax nazism at bay.

However, if poor grammar/spelling/syntax does wind you up, then feel free to start a new thread about it in general terms rather than specifically high lighting errors in any individual post.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

If the OP was sat at his PC at home with the new lamps by his side, he had indeed brought them from Wilko's.

Past tense of Bring.

He went to Wilkos to bring some new lamps home. When he arrived home, he'd brought them with him.

He didn't say he'd bought them. Maybe he stole them.

Have you got the reciept OP?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10801

Another guy said "The light was very light".
A respondent asked "How heavy".
The OP replied "200 lumens".
Last edited by Ayesha on 26 Oct 2011, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Ayesha wrote:...He didn't say he'd bought them. Maybe he stole them.

Have you got the reciept OP?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

................Anyway :? !

Talking of funny warning instructions on packaging has anyone one else read any outrageous 'warnings' on packaging/instructions

I purchased some 'wilko's' Mint shower gel and on the back it said.. not to be consumed... gimme strength :roll:

Come on Moderators ! Do you think this thread should be moved to the 'Tea Shop'
so we can all try and have a laugh at manufacturers daft/polite/stupid warnings.

I'm sure we can dable into our cupboards to see who can find the funniest :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

"Not to be used for the other use"

More http://www.doheth.co.uk/funny/doomed
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

I started one a while back - Dangerous Batteries!

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=46390

Click on the picture :shock:
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

Now thats funny :lol:

I'ved Googled 'funny warning label' and theres loads..........

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch ... 99l2.5l7l0
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

On a packet of 28 Temazepam 10mg tablets.

Warning: May cause drowsiness!

Er, yes, and?
That was what they were prescribed for.
I'd be a wee bit concerned if they didn't.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I guess after the lights were bought from the shop, the purchaser brought them home to try on their bike?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey