halfords

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Ian Raleigh

Re: halfords

Post by Ian Raleigh »

subandean wrote: On arrival on the business park we realised there were no cycle racks so before the security
guard could stop me I locked our bikes to the large container of screen wash.

I've noticed that every Halfords i have visited by bike there are no racks outside ! Maybe they don't welcome cyclists :roll:

You see 'Boardman' branded stuff everywhere now even MBK's and BMX's ! Did this bloke ever do MBKing or BMXing :shock: :roll: :roll:

You see 'Boardman' branded helmets - pumps - computers - grips - shirts - jumpers.. and they are in different styles/sizes/colours !
Surely Boardman never test tried any of the Halfords range of mass produced Boardman or should i say 'boredman' stuff.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I seem to remember that the Raleigh trade mark used to have a picture of Sir Walt himself bowing, presumably as he ruined his cloak, sucking up to QE I. Surely, nobody thinks he ever tried out any of their bikes? :mrgreen:
ukdodger

Halfords customer service.

Post by ukdodger »

Has anyone else had a problem returning duff goods to Halfords? I bought two tyres from their Exeter branch both of which were imperfectly round (Taiwan made). On a reasonably flat road they have a regular bump-bump-bump that varies with speed. It is not the rim. I took the tyre off to check the rim (with a pencil across the chain stays) and then put a Schwalbe tyre in it's place - perfect. The problem is the imperfection only shows at about 20mph and isnt visible to the eye. Halfords refused to change or refund on them unless I first take the bike with the tyre(s) fitted to a Halfords branch and ask the cycle bloke to find a flat road to ride on at 20mph in order to prove it and then they would consider a refund. Presumably after such a demonstration which somehow I dont think the branch would be happy with I would then have to carry the bike home because I would want a refund not more of the same tyre. Halfords policy so their customer service people tell me is that a burden of proof rests with the customer for returned faulty goods (incredible). Also a negative review I made of the tyres on Halfords site a week ago has never appeared. If it doesnt show up in another week I'll write to Halfords and ask why.
ukdodger

Halfords customer service

Post by ukdodger »

Has anyone else had a problem returning duff goods to Halfords? I bought two tyres from their Exeter branch both of which were imperfectly round (Taiwan made). On a reasonably flat road they have a regular bump-bump-bump that varies with speed. It is not the rim. I took the tyre off to check and put a Schwalbe tyre in it's place - perfect. The problem is the imperfection only shows at about 20mph and isnt visible to the eye. Halfords refused to change or refund on them unless I first take the bike with the tyre(s) fitted to a Halfords branch and ask the cycle bloke to find a flat road to ride on at 20mph in order to prove it and then they would consider a refund. Presumably after such a demonstration which somehow I dont think the branch would be happy with I would then have to carry the bike home because I would want a refund not more of the same tyre. Halfords policy so their customer service people tell me is that a burden of proof rests with the customer for returned faulty goods.

Lets see if this one make it.
thirdcrank

Re: Halfords customer service

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest that you are looking at this the wrong way round. If somebody else has had exactly the same problem or a similar one and obtained greater satisfaction than you have, or if their treatment has been worse than yours, it doesn't take you any further forward, as so much may have depended on the people involved. I'd suggest you need dependable advice on your rights and how to secure them. Consumer Direct which is the stage name of local consumer protection departments is a good place to start,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directo ... /DG_195948
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

thirdcrank wrote:I'd suggest that you are looking at this the wrong way round. If somebody else has had exactly the same problem or a similar one and obtained greater satisfaction than you have, or if their treatment has been worse than yours, it doesn't take you any further forward. I'd suggest you need dependable advice on your rights and how to secure them. Consumer Direct which is the stage name of local consumer protection departments is a good place to start,

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directo ... /DG_195948

Thanks for the link. I just wondered how many people have had a similar experience with Halfords. I didnt intend using it as a lever I've already chalked it up to experience. Just putting it up as a warning. How can a large company like Halfords put a burden of proof on their customers. I returned a pair of overtrousers to a bike shop in Pitlochry that they claimed were waterproof. They werent so I sent them back. They gave me the money back the following day and phoned up to apologise. I think most suppliers would have (maybe not apologise). But Halfords would have wanted me to prove that first somehow. It's ridiculous.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In that case, you may have the answer why your earlier thread was moved. You are dressing up your frustration (and subsequent grumble) with Halfords in the form of a question. I never like taking stuff back anywhere, and if somebody in a shop tries to persuade me to buy it on the basis that it's easy to take it back I say so. In fact, most places these days seem to be soft about returns, presumably because big retailers can send it back to their supplier to stand any loss.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

thirdcrank wrote:In that case, you may have the answer why your earlier thread was moved. You are dressing up your frustration (and subsequent grumble) with Halfords in the form of a question. I never like taking stuff back anywhere, and if somebody in a shop tries to persuade me to buy it on the basis that it's easy to take it back I say so. In fact, most places these days seem to be soft about returns, presumably because big retailers can send it back to their supplier to stand any loss.

Taking duff stuff back is a public service. It's never frightened me.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

thirdcrank wrote: In fact, most places these days seem to be soft about returns, presumably because big retailers can send it back to their supplier to stand any loss.

IME the cost of processing a return to the manufacturer outweighs the value of any refund for most items. Returns are usually just written off.

Being 'soft' about returns is a business decision to provide good customer service, generally. Marks and Spencer are an excellent example and many of the better retailers have followed their example to differentiate from the likes of Halfords.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Malaconotus wrote:
thirdcrank wrote: In fact, most places these days seem to be soft about returns, presumably because big retailers can send it back to their supplier to stand any loss.

IME the cost of processing a return to the manufacturer outweighs the value of any refund for most items. Returns are usually just written off.

Being 'soft' about returns is a business decision to provide good customer service, generally. Marks and Spencer are an excellent example and many of the better retailers have followed their example to differentiate from the likes of Halfords.

Thanks. And the bike shop in Pitlochry is another excellent example. It was 'Escape Route' incidentally. It's the third time I've bought stuff there and their attitude toward customers is truly inspiring. I've got to mention too the bike shop in Thurso whose name escapes me. They spent an hour fixing my bike and all they charged for was the bits. And the bloke cycled behind me for a mile afterwards so as to tighten up the cranks after I'd put some stress on them by pedaling. I cant imagine Halfords coming anywhere near that level of service.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd suggest there's a difference between accepting stuff back unused because it was unsuitable and dealing with faulty goods - not least because the first is purely contractual or else good will, while the second is a matter of consumer law. "Gift receipts" are often issued now as a way of enabling an unused and unwanted gift to be returned easily by the recipient. Marks and Sparks have cut right back on their returns policy - probably not before time. We know several M&S staff at the foot soldier level and there are plenty of tales about stuff being returned after so long that the computer system couldn't recognise the ancient stock code (or that the stuff was so well-worn that the label was undecipherable.) I know people who have gone to weddings or funerals and used M&S as a free costume hire service. That's of no benefit to the rest of us.

On the subject of Halfords, I don't remember buying anything for a bike bigger than a Knightlight and that was a good while ago - 1998(?) but I do get bits and pieces of car stuff there on a fairly regular basis. I get the impression that morale is very low and the staffing levels are even lower. Although my purchases tend to be straightforward things like windscreen washer fluid, on the occasions when I've needed help, I don't remember anything other than getting it, usually with alacrity. I don't remember taking anything back (which may mean that I did and had no problem) and the only bit of poor service which sticks in my mind was earlier this year when I spent enough to qualify for a money off voucher (a tenner or possibly fifteen quid) to entice customers backfor a future purchase, but the rather sullen salesperson forgot to give me mine till I asked for it.
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

In my experience I avoid halfords like the plague
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
Current :- CUBE Peloton Race, Planet X Kaffenback 2
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Not bike related but I bought some "improved fit" mats for the car. These stated they would fit my car, however my car has a foot rest next to the clutch (as with all manual versions of the car from stock) which when the mats are in prevents you from using the clutch pedal. Went back to Halfords and wouldn't except a return as I had used the product :evil:
hexhome

Halfords again!

Post by hexhome »

94inchandy

Post by 94inchandy »

halfords had that contract to sell boardman bikes, this gose down to the fact the halfords has signed a deal with the uk based pro racing team, halfords are the main backer is this team, and as a part of this contract they had the rights to sell boardman`s, as part of this deal, halfords had to rise there standards on the selling and repair side of the business,