Turbo Trainers

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
lackofgrip

Turbo Trainers

Post by lackofgrip »

I want to buy a turbo trainer but don't know where to start

I'd like one that you can get DVD's for so its not boring

If any one has any ideas which one I can get I'd be happy for suggestions

My budget is £200 but won't mind second hand for better ones
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
Current :- CUBE Peloton Race, Planet X Kaffenback 2
Vorpal

Re: Turbo Trainers

Post by Vorpal »

I really like my CycleOps Magneto. There's a fairly recent review from Bike Radar: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-45374/

Bike Radar was more positive when it first came out & user reviews give 5 thumbs up. Also, their article shows the price at £209, but it's available for less from both Evans and Wiggle. I would also expect that you could get a used one on ebay.

What I like about it:
-Really easy to set up
-Quiet enough to use indoors, watch telly, etc. and not wake the kids
-Quality components

I haven't found anything to complain about, though I have to admit that I haven't ever used a fluid one, or others that are substantially more expensive. I certainly wouldn't trade mine for any other that I've used. It is, IMO far better than the equivalent Tacx, which is much noisier.

Oh, and the DVD is good. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

I mean one of the ones you can link to tv to do stages of the tour de france etc
Previous :- Raleigh Burner,Grifter,Chopper,Activator, Claude Butler Rock, Carrera TDF, Focus Cayo, T30 Hybrid, Planet X Team Alu, TREK 1.5, Specialized Rockhopper SL, Raleigh Medale Fixie, Pro Carbon TT
lackofgrip

Post by lackofgrip »

Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

I have a Kurt Kinetic, which is great - really smooth (much better than magnetic units), heavy flywheel (so you get realistic coast-down response), pretty quiet, extremely well built, and it has a power curve that is well calibrated with speed (so you get a cheap "power meter"). Highly recommend it, it's way better than the old elite magnetic thing I was using before. I just watch a bunch of dvds to keep me amused ;-)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Have seen this one?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/satori-pro-h ... 64386.html

I didn't like it as well as my CycleOps. I found dead spots in the one that I used, so it didn't feel nearly as smooth. I think the biggest advantage in the Satori is it's portability; they are quite compact when folded. A couple of my racing friends use them to warm up before races.

Sorry I didn't understand what you meant about the DVD. :oops:

Try Bikeradar, which has reviews of most turbo trainers, though I think they are a bit harsh on the less expensive ones. Or there's a site just for turbo trainers. Try googling turbo trainer reviews.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
DurableAce

Post by DurableAce »

lackofgrip wrote:I mean one of the ones you can link to tv to do stages of the tour de france etc

You'll have to get saving for an integrated turbo trainer. They're far more than £200. Best suggestion is just get a normal one and something good to watch on TV or listen to on an MP3 player.
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

I have a Taxc turbo, had it for the last 12-14 years or so. By what I see of today's trainers its pretty basic but it do have a shifter and 7 or so different "gearings", when I bought it, cost was around your budget.

I`m very satisfied with the Turbo/HRM monitor combo, but I`m a bit on and off using it, and haven't used it specifically for bettering my cycling but for general fitness, overall cardio workouts and keeping the winterfat at somewhat acceptable levels.

Picked up a copy of this book to have a go at bettering the results: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workouts-Binder-Cycling-Wes-Hobson/dp/1931382751/ref=pd_sim_b_1, but have a bout of pneumonia for the moment and shirks until that goes away.

As for boredom, I have concluded that I`m somewhat the odd fellow out. I like running on stadium tracks, swimming laps and ride a stationary bike as I find the experiences very Zen like... :oops:
Best regards

Harry
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Don't discount buying a set of rollers.

They can't give a variable resistance, but selecting a higher gear can help. The good things about them are that you have to concentrate to stay on, and you can use your own bike and just hop on.

I usually only use mine in the mid winter when the weather's bad for weeks - nearly at that stage now, with the rain seemingly endless and torrential. Chucking it down now, and forecast like that for most of the day.

Not been on the bike since Sunday. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

I too am considering purchase of either a turbo trainer or rollers as I don't want to lose my fitness when the inevitable snow and ice arrives. I live in the Pennines.

I was wondering do you need slick or special tyres to use your bike on either equipment? I have schwalbe maraton tyres on the bike I would use and would not really want the hassle of changing tyres between use of equipment and riding the bike out on the road.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, not with rollers, you just sit your bike on them as if you were going out for a ride.

Trouble is, they are difficult to get the hang of. Once learned, you'll be fine, as I am now, but it is a knack. That's the good bit really, because you have to concentrate on staying on!
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It depends how much pressure is required to run the turbo. If the setting space between tyre & roller can be set with a reasonable amount of precision, running with a road tyre shouldn't be a problem. I've run with a road tyre on my turbo, and while it wears more quickly than on the road, it isn't otherwise a problem. If the setting can't be done with sufficient precision there is a risk of either very high wear, or friction, heating and blowouts.

I did eventually get a (cheap used) spare wheel with a trainer tyre on it because I figured it was cheaper in the the long run than replacing tyres.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Just add a friction lever connected to your rear brake ;)

Then you can add resistance :D
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Whatever you do, get a Turbo with a Wattage readout.

The reason for this statement is... I have heared countless cyclists say "riding along on a simple Turbo is dead boring".
With a Wattage readout and/or kCals recording, you can train for, and do a Functional Test Power test regulary. This kills the boredom.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9756

If you can, extend your budget. You won't regret it. IIRC, this model simulates a 10% hill.

Some guys I know have Sufferfest vids to follow. I just go balls-out for 20 minutes every Tuesday evening. With the Tacx Turbo in the link above, you can see your efforts after the session.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can get that info from rollers too, all you need is a Garmin 705 or similar.

10miles on the rollers:
Average Power 267watts
Max Power 541watts
Average Cadence 78rpm
Average Heart Rate 162bpm
Calories Consumed 436cals
Time 24mins 9sec

Loads more info too, the above is just a sample.
Mick F. Cornwall