Warm and Waterproof Shoes with Cleats

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alicej

Warm and Waterproof Shoes with Cleats

Post by alicej »

I've grown quite attached :oops: to SPDs this summer, but now I'm finding my vented shoes a bit cold. Can anyone recommend some cheap, waterproof, not completely rigid-soled shoes which will take Shimano 2-bolt cleats?

Need size 6 or 7, Either trainer-like or like walking boots, since I wear one or the other most of the time when I'm not cycling. That is unless anyone is producing some really stylish leather knee length boots with recessed cleats..? Maybe that last one needs to go in the "Things I Wish Someone Would Make" thread.
Winkeladvokat

Re: Warm and Waterproof Shoes with Cleats

Post by Winkeladvokat »

Do you not just want some neoprene booties to go over the top?!
seph

Post by seph »

lidl sometime have them. I bought some last year. I've used them for commuting ever since. Even did a 400 audax in 'em! They're warm and water resistant trainer style shoes. Though a bit heavy, and the cleat isnt totally recessed, they have been great! I much prefer them to overshoes (which cost more, are neither warm nor waterproof, never dry out by home time, fall apart and make you look like a pixie .
The real clincher was the cost. £15!!.
petzl

Post by petzl »

alicej wrote:I've grown quite attached :oops: to SPDs this summer, but now I'm finding my vented shoes a bit cold. Can anyone recommend some cheap, waterproof, not completely rigid-soled shoes which will take Shimano 2-bolt cleats?

Need size 6 or 7, Either trainer-like or like walking boots, since I wear one or the other most of the time when I'm not cycling. That is unless anyone is producing some really stylish leather knee length boots with recessed cleats..? Maybe that last one needs to go in the "Things I Wish Someone Would Make" thread.

Wear a supermarket placky bag over each shoe and on top of that wear a normal over shoe covering. Provided you pull your waterproof trousers down over the shoe covering you will be dry and warm, if it is not raining you will get too warm. The thin plastic bag will not interfer with the SPD fitting however you will be lucky to make one last for more than 4 outings.
alicej

Post by alicej »

Thing is, I'd really like something that looks "normal". I don't really want to wander around town, or go out for the evening, or sit in a meeting in weird looking overshoes - I'd much rather just wear trainers or boots like I normally do but possibly just sound a little odd as I click/crunch when I walk because of the cleats.

Actually looking remotely fashionable is probably too much to ask, but I'm sure I've seen something like a pair of goretex (or similar) walking boots with cleats, which would do fine. Perhaps it's the Lidl ones I'm thinking of - hopefully someone on here will give us all a heads-up if they spot them in store anywhere.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... s-ec011616

I think that this type of thing, which most manufacturers include in their range, is just about it. I picked these from the top google hit but by coincidence, I think they are among the cheapest (except for places like Aldi and Lidl.)

Whether that type of thing looks normal depends on taste, I suspect. My own Sidi's which are by now getting a bit long in the tooth, have bright red soles.
alicej

Post by alicej »

thirdcrank wrote:http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/bg-defroster-mtb-shoes-ec011616

I think that this type of thing, which most manufacturers include in their range, is just about it. I picked these from the top google hit but by coincidence, I think they are among the cheapest (except for places like Aldi and Lidl.)

Whether that type of thing looks normal depends on taste, I suspect. My own Sidi's which are by now getting a bit long in the tooth, have bright red soles.

Saw those today but was a bit put off by the price... are the soles flexible enough to walk a lot in?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can only speak for my own and they are OK for walking but I only ever wear mine for cycling so the walking is generally pushing a bike when it's too bad to ride. I have mentioned on another thread that I originally tried to buy the road version with smooth sole and virtually no heel on the basis that I'm not a walker. I was miffed when they were unavailable so I bought the MTB version as second best, only realising later that in winter I'm much more likely to get off and walk.

Looking at your requirements from another angle, have you considered using ordinary (ie not cycling-specific) shoes or boots for bad weather riding? On my winter bike, I have pedals with SPD on one side and normal on the other to allow this. In fact, even ordinary SPDs can be ridden with a standard trainer-type sole, even if it's not ideal.
alicej

Post by alicej »

thirdcrank wrote:I can only speak for my own and they are OK for walking but I only ever wear mine for cycling so the walking is generally pushing a bike when it's too bad to ride. I have mentioned on another thread that I originally tried to buy the road version with smooth sole and virtually no heel on the basis that I'm not a walker. I was miffed when they were unavailable so I bought the MTB version as second best, only realising later that in winter I'm much more likely to get off and walk.

Looking at your requirements from another angle, have you considered using ordinary (ie not cycling-specific) shoes or boots for bad weather riding? On my winter bike, I have pedals with SPD on one side and normal on the other to allow this. In fact, even ordinary SPDs can be ridden with a standard trainer-type sole, even if it's not ideal.

Actually you've just reminded me that I wore my rather stylish knee length leather boots through the worst of the ice and snow last year with rubber studded soles fitted to them, which were fine on the flat side of my pedals. I'd just miss being stuck to the pedals now I've got used to it.

Think I might try out Power Grips, as suggested somewhere else on here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28933 so I could maybe get the best of both worlds. Normal clips don't seem to come big enough to get the toes of my walking boots in them, but these might as they seem to be adjustable.