Single or double sided pedals ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
uphillbothways

Re: Single or double sided pedals ?

Post by uphillbothways »

AlastairS wrote:Can you give me an idea of what its like wearing double sided pedals in slow moving traffic and you may have to stop soon and/or
you have to stop unexpectantly ? Do you feel comfortable and in control all the time , knowing you are not going to fall off?

Being clipped in isn't either-or, there are some really useful states in between.

As alicej says, because you're locked to the pedal, you can pull up your pedal to set off without having to hook your toe underneath. Repeat that action and you can scoot along at walking pace, while your other leg dangles. With a bit of practice, you can power through the whole of the pedal stroke and cycle along with only one foot on the pedals. If you need to make more progress but still think you might have to stop in a hurry you simply pedal using the midsole, avoiding the cleat.

I'm actually more confident in traffic with clipless pedals than flat, because I know I've always got one solid attachment to the pedals. I can always apply power securely, whether it's a little nudge to push forward a couple of feet or a full-bore sprint out of a tight spot. I can manhandle the bike in a way that I just don't feel confident doing on flat pedals.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

get double sided for commuting in traffic, it's so easy to find your foot into one side or the other and they are balanced the same unlike the platform on one side jobs.
You can buy new double sided pedals for £15 anyway and with cleats
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wellgo-m919- ... prod25782/
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Another member said the cheap ones stick. any thoughts? Al
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlastairS wrote:Another member said the cheap ones stick. any thoughts? Al

Further to the ones I linked to upthread Shimano M520's are the default SPD pedals (£20 Ebay),yes there are cheaper but M520's,and the ones in the link are easy entry/exit plus they won't stick.They can also be serviced with the aid of Shimano's cheap (<£5) special tool and replacement cleats can be bought for £9 on Ebay.
You'd have a system that lasts (my oldest set are atleast 8years old) and if needed (say on tour) can be bought in any bike shop certainly Europe wide if not worldwide.
Its a no brainer really :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

I have some Powerplay pedals which do have a tendency to stick but that is easily cured by some oil on the contact points. I have never had the same happen on my Shimano ones.

One of my bikes has the single sided A520s and they are my favourite pedals.
I dont ever have any problem getting my left foot in, the toe of your shoe turns the pedal into the right place and you click in straight away. I never even think about it.
In a panic speed rush, you can just pedal on the back of the pedal.

I still cant do my right foot in the dark as that foot normally stays in all the time.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

meic wrote:I still cant do my right foot in the dark as that foot normally stays in all the time.
Me too!
If you look at my pedals, the right one looks almost like new.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

AlastairS wrote:Another member said the cheap ones stick. any thoughts? Al

Well I bought a couple of cheap spd pedals some years ago thinking I'll fit one and keep the other pair for spares plus I'll have two pairs of new cleats. So taking the Wellgo's I linked to and the cost of around £7 for a pair of cleats that makes them £8 for a pair of spd pedals!!!
For sure the smoothness of my cheapo ETC ones aren't on a par of say my 747s, however they've been fine with no adjustmnent required and the equal to the entry level shimano pedals. They are just as easy to access the spindle and don't require a special tool to do so, just a pair of pliers and a wide(ish) screwdriver. Wellgo as far as I'm concerned make better single sided SPD than Shimano and have done for a while. I have a pair that are the equal of the old Dura Ace spd in terms of smoothness, are more robust and nicer looking. In my personal opinion of course :)
At the end of the day for £15 with cleats even if you don't like them you can't go wrong really can you?
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

Double sided for me too. I want to be clipped in ASAP not faffing around with the wrong side of the pedal, I ride with a guy who uses single sided Look pedals and at every junction or stop he's faffing around with the pedal at 5mph which is a bit unsafe IMO.

When the lights change I want to be away and up to 15mph ASAP, not a wobbling chicane for a car to clip.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, i've decided to buy thee M520s :

They are reasonably priced.
Three people have quoted reliabilty and ease of use
I'm prepared not to use my ordinary trainers
Should be easy to clip in as doublesided

My question , I'm thinking off buying the pedals from here http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=3776&f_SupersetQRY=C242&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003261 as reduced, but normally websites don't call them 'Shimano ATB SPD PD M520', just 'Shimano SPD PD M520',
Are these just your standard ones that everyone uses ?
thanks, Al
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Al
The ones in the link are the same M520's as all the others,the "ATB" prefix is something that particular shop has decided to call them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

AlastairS wrote:Hi, i've decided to buy thee M520s :

They are reasonably priced.
Three people have quoted reliabilty and ease of use
I'm prepared not to use my ordinary trainers
Should be easy to clip in as doublesided

My question , I'm thinking off buying the pedals from here http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=3776&f_SupersetQRY=C242&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003261 as reduced, but normally websites don't call them 'Shimano ATB SPD PD M520', just 'Shimano SPD PD M520',
Are these just your standard ones that everyone uses ?
thanks, Al

Did you check to see if the cleats were included, if not then they wouldn't work out so cheap afterall.
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Did you check to see if the cleats were included, if not then they wouldn't work out so cheap afterall.
No I didn't and read this too late. Yes pedals cost me £20 and then a further £15 for the cleats which takes it to £35 , so not as cheap as I was expecting. Are cleats normally included with pedals ?
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

for the most part yes they are. You could have got a retail box with cleats for £23 posted http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-M520- ... 2314002d39
Oh well, you'll know for next time.
Winkeladvokat

Post by Winkeladvokat »

I do all my riding (including london commuting) with single-sided pedals (Time Impact/RXS) and, to be honest, don't get the issue people have with single sided pedals. I clip in first time, first half revolution, without looking down, the overwhelming majority of the time. The point about single sided pedals is that they're weighted so they hang in the correct orientation - hitting the clip-in is then a breeze, assuming some level of coordination. Basically any clipless system requires a little bit of practice to be comfortable with it; once you've achieved this, then there shouldn't be an issue. And, as someone mentioned above, I'm far more confident in heavy traffic clipped in, because it's easier to get the power down - if you can match an average car's speed/acceleration, then it's far easy to ride in traffic "vehicularly" and this is a great way to avoid getting squashed ;-)
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

The Edinburgh Bicycle M520 MTB pedals include cleats . You wouldn't knoe this as not mentioned on the site and not on the packaging.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 147c003261

I now have a spare pair of cleats for the future.
Alastair