Bike Storage - hanging bikes up

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
series3safari

Bike Storage - hanging bikes up

Post by series3safari »

I would like to tidy up the garage and want to find a way to store my bikes neatly where they are out of the way but accessible. I have thought of putting hooks on the ceiling and suspending each bike by hooking the front or rear wheel onto the hook. Will this damage the wheels, especially if some of the bikes are left there for a few months at a time? Thank you.
freeflow

Re: Bike Storage - hanging bikes up

Post by freeflow »

Only if you don't use a plastic/rubber coated hook. Wheels are pre-stressed constructions designed to take the weight of a rider and the stresses that causes at speed. Hanging by a hook will not affect them at all.

I've just put up 5 hooks for bikes for the same reason except the hooks are on the wall. Bikes hang by the front wheel perpendicular to the wall. Hooks were about £2.50 for 2 from B&Q. I used two levels of hooks so the hanging bikes are offset handlebarwise which allows for denser packing.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I use the plastic-coated hooks, shaped a bit like a :?: without the dot. Somewhere on here there's a picture of my garage from a previous similar query. I'd suggest it's preferable to use the hooks in pairs ie two hooks per bike, one for each wheel. That shares out the weight between the hooks and leaves more clearance underneath. Measure the wheelbase of the individual bikes before screwing in the hooks. (I.ve successfully stored a very heavy tandem like this.) If you hang the bikes alternately bars to saddle, it will make more room if the joists are closely spaced.

The technique for getting the bikes onto their hooks is to lift them by holding the top tube and down tube, near the headset and present the back wheel to the hook. Then lift the by now hanging bike by the stem to present the front wheel to the other hook. Trying to hook the front wheel first leads to problems IME.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

TC you are a star, I have been using the Aldi pulley system that goes on the bars and saddle. Having the bike upside down would be a better use of the space and now I know how to do this thank you.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
series3safari

Post by series3safari »

Thank you to you both for these prompt and helpful replies. I too have, amongst other bikes a tandem, but would not have dared try hanging it up until I see that others have done so. The garage is integral to the house and has a ceiling made of reinforced concrete beams like bison beams (fire separation to the room above I presume - dates from the 1970s) so it is always lots of fun, noisy and dusty getting anything attached to the ceiling. I like the wall mounted idea but have too much junk along the walls to allow them to be accessible for bikes, but might yet clear a space. Thanks again.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I used to hang my bike up in our last house. We had a "rumpus room" - freezer/washing machine/workshop sort of room.

I screwed a pulley into a roof timber and hoisted Bike up on it. I had a hook and clip on the end of the rope which I wrapped round the seat post. I fitted a cleat on the wall to secure it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote:Or there's the fancy version of ceiling hooks.....
Competitively priced at only $229-99. I suspect that if they are imported to the UK, they will be about £500.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My pulley and rope, plus a cleat for the wall, must've cost about a fiver from B+Q.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

thirdcrank wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Or there's the fancy version of ceiling hooks.....
Competitively priced at only $229-99. I suspect that if they are imported to the UK, they will be about £500.

:lol:
ACtually they're £200 or so. Obviously quite a lot more than hooks. But if you've got lots of bikes to hang...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Aldi and Lidl do a bike pulley kit like Mick has described. They are about a fiver, part of their regular special deals. I hang my mtb up by its saddle on a folding arm purchased in B&Q

IMAG0431 by Alyrpal, on Flickr

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Here from an earlier post is a photo of my bikes hanging by front wheel. There is a fourth bike out of shot.

http://is.gd/YuFCwg
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal

I wasn't joking. The dollar price was from your link. My eye-watering estimated £ price seems typical on equipment made in the Far East and then imported here after being badged in the US. If the same items were to be imported here by a GB firm direct from Taiwan or wherever, the £ price would be more reasonable, but for some reason. it often doesn't happen.

I suspect the cheapest way to get something like that in the UK would be to have it made by one of the dwindling number of small engineering outfits that will do one-offs or else a DIY job.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

TC: I didn't think you were joking.

But the Saris list price in £ is £200. CycleOps is part of the same group & their goods are reasonably priced in the UK. I haven't actually contacted a UK retailer or distributor to confirm the price.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As always, I'm pleased to be corrected, especially when the correction is in the "Good news" direction. :D