what bike for LEJOG

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Vix

what bike for LEJOG

Post by Vix »

Hi Everybody, Could do with some advice on what would be the best bike for me to use for my first LEJOG, I'm a 40 year old female.
Any advice would be really really appreciated.
Russcoles

Re: what bike for LEJOG

Post by Russcoles »

Supported or unsupported, camping or B&B (ie how much gear will you be carrying)? What bike do you currently ride? Are you going by main roads or at a more leisurely pace for better scenery? Whats your Budget?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Vix,
The best bike to use, is the one you are happy riding.
The bike doesn't have to be anything special, except comfortable and capable of being ridden day after day for a 1,000miles.

No doubt that's not the answer you wanted, maybe you want to buy a new bike to do the ride? That is a different question I feel, so I echo Russcole's questions.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Vix

Post by Vix »

Hi Guys, I'm going to be staying in B&B, I'll unsupported, and taking the more leisurely route so I can take in the scenery ( don't really fancy cycling on the very busy main roads).
My current bike is a Boardman, it's not really the right bike for carrying panniers etc.
Thanks for any info :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you want to ride the Boardman and you can't take panniers, try the trailer idea. It's a cheaper alternative than buying another bike.

I ride a lightweight 531c Mercian, and although I have used a set of panniers on it, Bike and me didn't like it much, so I bought a trailer.

Bike and me are much happier now. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

Hi Vix,
I did JOGLE in June/July this year and if you only take two bits of advice from me please make it the following:
1. Read this forum for at least a month BEFORE you invest, organise or think about anything!!! It is a wealth of knowledge and will save you expense, time and effort.
2. ALWAYS listen to Mick F. I did, I survived and I really enjoyed the ride!
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
Vix

Post by Vix »

Thanks for all the advice guys, and Mick defo going to consider the trailer, what didn't you like about panniers?? my boardman only has 18 gears is that enough for the trip :?:
Last edited by Vix on 9 Nov 2011, 11:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I did my first JOGLE with 12gears.
Double Stronglight 36/52 with a 6sp freewheel 13-28.

A full set of four panniers too, and I never had to get off and walk.
Helmsdale.jpg

Here's the same bike on my LEJOG and Back with my trailer with a suitcase strapped on.
England Sign.jpg
I didn't like the way my Mercian handled with panniers. It felt like a tank, not like a bike. The trailer is wonderful and I can't recommend them highly enough. The bike still feels like a bike and rolls along easily, all you have is extra weight to pull up hills, but that's the case with panniers too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vix

Post by Vix »

Thanks Mike, I really like the look of the trailer, i bet you fell a lot less cluttered with out the panniers over the bike, What about travelling by train to and from the ride, did the trailer prove a pain on the trains??
WoodyWheeler

Post by WoodyWheeler »

I agree with the comments that the best bike is the one you are comfortable with - you are going to spend a lot of time in the saddle - and that you can do it on any bike.

I rode JOGLE unsupported on a road bike using B&B accomodation and managed to pack everything I needed into a carradice sqr tour saddlebag. Despite the name it is not strictly a saddle bag because it attaches to your seatpost and you do need about 4 inches clear between the frame and the saddle, which might be a limiting factor.

There is a fixing that you attach to the seat post which then allows the bag to be quickly removed and re-installed, which is handy at the end of the day when you want to take your bag into the B&B and also if you want to remove it when at a stop en route.

With the weight above the back wheel handling isn't affected too much and offers pretty good aerodynamics. An added bonus is that the bag acts as a mudguard, it even has a plastic strip on the bottom to make it easy to clean and to keep the water and mud out of the bag.

And you can get a surprising amount of stuff into it. To give you an idea there is a list of everything I put in it here: http://www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/home/beginning/planning/what-will-i-need-to-take-with-me-on-my-ride/stuff-to-put-in-bags. And there is a picture of the bag on my bike here: http://www.landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/home/beginning/planning/what-will-i-need-to-take-with-me-on-my-ride/stuff-to-put-on-bike/bags.

Wiggle currently have then in stock @ £61.20 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-sqr-tour-bag-including-sqr-bracket/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&utm_content=Carradice-Carradice_SQR_Tour_Bag_including_SQR_Bracket with free delivery but you might find one a bit cheaper with more of a search - I think I paid about £55 but that was a couple of years ago.

However, there is good advice in not making a decision too quickly and weighing up all your options. There will always be lots of views and you can only decide which one is for you after you have a good range to pick from.
Riding - Monoc TC2
Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles M. Schulz
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vix wrote:Thanks Mike, I really like the look of the trailer, i bet you fell a lot less cluttered with out the panniers over the bike, What about travelling by train to and from the ride, did the trailer prove a pain on the trains??
Yes, a LOT less cluttered!

Trains?
I took the train to Edinburgh from Plymouth in 2008 for my Grand Tour.

Bike was stowed in the bike stowage, and my Carry Freedom trailer had it's wheels in a plazzy bag. The suitcase remained strapped to the load bed, and was stowed in the suitcase stowage near my seat. All I had to do at Edinburgh, was to attach the wheels, connect the tow arm, and ride off!
Have a read at my blog:
http://my-grand-tour.blogspot.com
Mick F. Cornwall
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

brother nathaneil wrote:Hi Vix,
I did JOGLE in June/July this year and if you only take two bits of advice from me please make it the following:
1. Read this forum for at least a month BEFORE you invest, organise or think about anything!!! It is a wealth of knowledge and will save you expense, time and effort.
2. ALWAYS listen to Mick F. I did, I survived and I really enjoyed the ride!

3. "Read this forum for at least a month BEFORE you invest, organise or think about anything!!! It is a wealth of knowledge and will save you expense, time and effort."

4. Be careful of relying too much on the opinions of one person. There are just that, opinions (including this one)
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh definitely. :D
Read everyone's posts. We all have opinions and different experiences.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vix

Post by Vix »

Thanks everyone :D
Vix

Post by Vix »

Has anybody else used a trailer?? Thanks woody your website has been very helpful, to tell you all the truth i'm quite overwhelmed by all the helpful ideas and opinions ONCE AGAIN THANKS ALOT, Still not decided on what to do but definitely taking everything you say on board :D