Folding Bikes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BillB

Folding Bikes

Post by BillB »

I am considering buying a fold up bike and looking at a Dahon Speed P8 11, does anyone have any comments positive or negative. It will not be used for serious cycling but will remain in the boot of my car for when I am away at weekends and want to do a bit of City sightseeing ot the odd cala towpath.
seventeezlad

Re: Folding Bikes

Post by seventeezlad »

Hi Bill,

I can't offer a personal opinion on the Dahon as I've only ever ridden Bromptons for short stints. That said I'd say you'd do well to have a look at the following link:
http://www.atob.org.uk/

A to B offer a very honest view of numerous folders and from what I know are highly regarded by many that own folding bikes.

Hope it helps!
robgul

Post by robgul »

I'm hovering on buying a folder - a friend has a Dahon and it's great - I'm looking at the folder that Edinburgh Bike Coop sells - made by Dahon and a cracking price.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
pwward

Post by pwward »

I had a previous model, bought in 2007. I used it quite intensively for a year and found it good to ride. It doesn't fold up very small though, important if it's in a car. Bromptons do fold very small (I have one now).

The main problem was a crack in the frame, near where the seat post come out. I'm 183cm (6ft) so didn't have the seatpost at it's longest extent. Dahon initially refused to replace it then relented after a helpful email from the dealer who sold it to me. I had to pay the re build cost. It's put me off Dahon
rootes

Post by rootes »

The main problem was a crack in the frame, near where the seat post come out. I'm 183cm (6ft) so didn't have the seatpost at it's longest extent. Dahon initially refused to replace it then relented after a helpful email from the dealer who sold it to me. I had to pay the re build cost. It's put me off Dahon

i'm 6'6" my brompton frame broke in the same sort of place. Brompton arranged for collection, fix it (new frame) plus did some other bits and bobs and delivered it back.. not great that it broke, but top marks for service..

brompton are really the best package I can get mine in the boot of an mx-5 fine... and they are very useable. did lejog on mine in 8 days.

the straight bars are much better than the bendy M bars ones
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

I have a Dahon Curve and love it, great fun. This has 16" wheels which makes it great for folding small and carrying about, and the ride is surprisingly good & steady as well. I don't do major miles on it but my expereince of the Dahon is very positive. Can't compare with other folders as I haven't had anything apart from a cheapo one from Argos a few years ago (which wasn't bad by the way)
boris

Post by boris »

this is a jetstream xp. Excellent +++.
now I would get a speed p8 and do the stem thing again. The vector X27 is rather expensive. I say avoid suspension which I have rarely found to be useful.

BUT : I am 6ft 2.5inch and the reach of my unadulterated jetstream is too short for proper riding. Only in short city rides would I be happy with sitting so upright and the front end is light and twitchy until you get used to it. So I got a simple stem from a jumble and with that on my position is very similar to my road bikes . I have used it several times for audax. The fold is not so good with the stem added.
I think this is the same for all the other makes. They size them small. I think Airnimal bikes might come in a large size.
gongfarmer

Post by gongfarmer »

Hi,

Ive a Dahon HG7 Vitesse and is a great bike.In 2009 I cycle the L2B on it and handled it very well.

Mind you its not as quick as a full size wheel bike so you have to work at it or allow longer.

Having looked at folders for a sometime I decided I wanted a Hub gear as I knew the wheels and tyres were going taking a real bashing.

With the hubgear I belived that I was getting a stronger wheel as there is no dishing?

So far no problems as I used for commuting a little day tripping.

By the way I'm 6ft x 161/2 stone.

regards
BertYardbrush

Post by BertYardbrush »

I've had a Dahon Piccolo, 16" wheel & a 20" electric folder. Now I have a 2008 Dahon Cadenza which is a 26" folder. I found 16" wheels quite twitchy, well worth getting 20" wheels. My Cadenza fits into the back of my Yaris. The Cadenza folding system can get a bit creaky but it's a good bike. Dahons don't have the cache of Bromptons but if you want a practical bike at a fraction of the price of the Brompton, get a Dahon.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

I work some of the time as a Bikeability trainer, and many of my colleagues own Dahons. Some do have Bromptons and it's true that the fold is remarkably small, but I reckon the ride of a Dahon is much better. I own a Dahon Jetstream P8 which I have converted to a 9 speed, and it is a really nice bike. The ride is a little twitchy, but nowhere near as lively as a Brompton. It is much more comfortable though and is well-engineered. I bought mine secondhand; I am over 110kg and have had no problems with it. I'd certainly buy another one.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Anyone with knowledge of Oyama folders - in particular this one http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/oyama-ro ... 62000.html
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
MarkF

Post by MarkF »

What's the difference between a P8 and a D7 apart from bigger tyres and an extra gear?

I had my first ride on a (borrowed) folder, a Dahon Vitesse, 2 years ago and was amazed at how they rode like a "normal" bike. I bought a D7 and have been very happy with it, the build quality is good (especially the paint) and I've ridden it many miles including a tour of Holland with zero problems.

I am not clued up on folders, there seems to be a big incestuous thing going on with all the branding, re-branding and marketing, especially where Dahon are concerned. I bought my wife a much cheaper folder (Philips) that seemed ok, then I found out that it was manufactured by Dahon (same as the Boardwalk) and then.............. it was soooo much nicer. :D
quiksilver

Post by quiksilver »

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/b-fold-20-id_8186827.html

Might be worth a look? I bought one recently and have been quite pleased with it.
BillB

Post by BillB »

Thanks for all the replies. I bought the bike on Monday. It has 20" wheels and rides almost like a normal bike. I commuted into the City (London) this morning which is 10 milee without any problems and the gearing is good. Does not fold very small but it fits the boot of my car very easily which is what I wanted.