People who cant reseat tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Edwards

Re: People who cant reseat tyres

Post by Edwards »

To save you hurting your thumbs why not. Pretend you do not know what you are doing and get some passing mug to do it for you .
Then you have enabled the person fitting them can feel very smug.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ayesha

In the absence of an airing cupboard and soap,not many about on lonely windswept countrylanes,add to that a downpour and cold hands,what then?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I read with interest that some of you are having problems regarding the fitting of tyres e.g. Schwalbe Marathons on Brompton wheels etc.

I have been described by some to have hands of a gorilla and even I have had difficultly in the past performing this task. But I have note recently when I purchase one of the above tyre and place on a new Brompton rim I had very little trouble it went on first time with no need to perform any tricks listed below, I either must be getting stronger of the tyres are getting larger?

If you are still having problems using metal tyre levers place a tyre on to a rim without an inner tube and even better without a rim tape and do this operation on very tight tyre say 4 to 6 times you will find that the stretching of the bead of the tyre is sufficient so that it can be put on normally with ease.

Do ensure the valve is free moving and is pointing to the centre of the hub, if the valve is stuck tight grip with pliers and push the valve up so that the inner tube is not trap.

Some tips

PUTTING TYRES ON

Park Tools Tyre Seating Tool

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-tyre-seating-tool/

This tool is designed to quickly and easily "seat" stubborn tyres

I have not used this product it looks like it is suitable for large section tyres

VAR TYRE LEVER

http://www.muddymoles.org.uk/mutterings ... -struggles

http://www.sjscycles.com/Instructions/V ... ctions.pdf

I have used this product it does work but still s degree of hand strength for it work it is not be suitable for large section tyres

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Be ... B001AYML7K

I have used this product find it works well but can not be used on large section mountain bike tyres

TAKING TYRES OFF

Lezyne Sabre Cro-mo Tyre Lever/Pedal Wrench

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-sabre-cr ... al-wrench/

I have used this product I found them work on the tightest tyres.

LOSES FITTING TYRES

If you have loses fitting tyres do not forget to put talcum power between the inner tube and the tyre. It lubricates the moment of the tyre over the inner tube and prevents the inner tube from lifting the tyre of if it sticks together.

Try John Baby Power, it the cheapest.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

JohnCKirk wrote:........ Kevlar doesn't help either............

Thats not my experience eg;ordinary Marathons, P/racer RiBmo's are a doddle,Gatorskins can be a leettle tighter but still easy enough,IMO its certain rim/tyre combinations.
More generally, I don't think there's any shame in needing tyre levers...............[/quote]Agreed! :)
does the benefit of going lightweight outweigh the hassle of walking home?

Never! :)
W H Auden
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

I'm a little puzzled by all the various seating tools mentioned above. I assume that "seating" is the process of getting the bead into the rim. Again, I've never had problems. Once the tyre is on, put some air into the tyre and then work around the tyre with your thumbs compressing it so you can see that the tube isn't trapped. This also has the advantage of seating the tyre when you release it. Just as my Dad told me it would.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

reohn2 wrote:Ayesha

In the absence of an airing cupboard and soap,not many about on lonely windswept countrylanes,add to that a downpour and cold hands,what then?

Every cyclist should know tyres stretch when they've been inflated for a day or so. That's mentioned in a previous post.

It's only the first fitting that's a game, or not if you know what your doing. :wink:

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. My first roadside P* repair/tyre fitting was half way between Stratford-on-Avon and Mickleton on a cool Sunday afternoon when I was 12 years old. That was a 26 x 1 1/4 youth's sports bike with Raleigh Amberwall with a heavy wire bead. Since then, its been easy. :D
All the tips I mentioned were from my Mom. Shirley Roads Club 1940s. A 'slight' build woman and not the strongest arms in the cycling world, but she could roll a new tyre on with ease.

Good God! You can still get 32-597. :shock:
The Schwalbe M+ I bought for my old gent's upright were 37-590. They were easy to put on :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ayesha wrote:Every cyclist should know tyres stretch when they've been inflated for a day or so. That's mentioned in a previous post.

It's only the first fitting that's a game, or not if you know what your doing. :wink:

Thats not my experience at all,especially with wire beads.
W H Auden
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

There was a bloke who ran a bike shop out of his garage in NW Birmingham.
Take your wheel and he'd let you try the various tyres on sale.
When you find one that went on with relative ease, you buy it, and keep buying that brand ( from him, cus he was the North Brum CTC man ) from then on.

When you need a new tyre, take your wheel to the LBS and tell them you'll buy the tyre that gets on the rim with best ease. See what they say. :?
That will be the only tyre you buy from them because subsequent tyres will be bought in bulk from Ribble. :wink:
Last edited by Ayesha on 24 Nov 2011, 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not read all this thread, which has developed into the regular discussion of how to fit tyres.

It seems that some people can do it. I'm glad I am one, even though saying that always seems to provoke annoyance in some quarters. Any ability I have in this direction is because I was shown by others.

A few thirdcrank guidelines. (Only two has it happens)

Guidelin no. 1: Anybody seeing a fellow rider in difficulties should offer help if possible.
Guideline no 2: Any rider who is offered help in this way, even if they are coping completely or feels rather offended, patronised, insulted by a fellow rider stopping should at least show gratitude for this display of solidarity, even if no help is needed or possible.

I've probably posted before that a decade ago I had a puncture (rear wheel, of course) as it was growing dark in Thorpe Willoughby. It was my winter bike, with Sachs hubgear + drum brake, so getting the wheel in and out was the usual faff. A lone lady cyclist stopped and very diffidently asked if I was OK, adding that she was sure I was OK but she felt she should ask. I was OK , but thoroughly fed up and her genuine show of concern really cheered me up. It takes a fair bit of bottle for a lone woman to stop in a dark and lonely place to offer help to a complete stranger. A true good Samaritan. Thanks again to that lady (Claud Butler Courette with many upgrades.) Shame :evil: on whoever it was who had spurned her help before.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

thirdcrank wrote:I've not read all this thread, which has developed into the regular discussion of how to fit tyres.

It seems that some people can do it. I'm glad I am one, even though saying that always seems to provoke annoyance in some quarters. Any ability I have in this direction is because I was shown by others.

A few thirdcrank guidelines. (Only two has it happens)

Guidelin no. 1: Anybody seeing a fellow rider in difficulties should offer help if possible.
Guideline no 2: Any rider who is offered help in this way, even if they are coping completely or feels rather offended, patronised, insulted by a fellow rider stopping should at least show gratitude for this display of solidarity, even if no help is needed or possible.

I've probably posted before that a decade ago I had a puncture (rear wheel, of course) as it was growing dark in Thorpe Willoughby. It was my winter bike, with Sachs hubgear + drum brake, so getting the wheel in and out was the usual faff. A lone lady cyclist stopped and very diffidently asked if I was OK, adding that she was sure I was OK but she felt she should ask. I was OK , but thoroughly fed up and her genuine show of concern really cheered me up. It takes a fair bit of bottle for a lone woman to stop in a dark and lonely place to offer help to a complete stranger. A true good Samaritan. Thanks again to that lady (Claud Butler Courette with many upgrades.) Shame :evil: on whoever it was who had spurned her help before.

You may be preaching to the converted.

Its the 'Weekend Warrior' wanabees you should be contacting.

Seeing me on the roadside studying my AUK routesheet with my bike on the grass, they convieniently looked the other way as if they'd not noticed me.
Somehow, I don't blame them, cus if I had a real problem, they might have to admit they couldn't help. :wink:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ayesha wrote: When you need a new tyre, take your wheel to the LBS and tell them you'll buy the tyre that gets on the rim with best ease. See what they say. :?
That will be the only tyre you buy from them because subsequent tyres will be bought in bulk from Ribble. :wink:

In you're world maybe,my LBS is always cheaper than Ribble
W H Auden
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

I've assisted 3 'all the gear no idea' brigade this year....
can't get the tyre on or tyre wont stay on...
a short class in 'finish opposite the valve, and use your thumbs' and 'push the valve in to allow the tyre to seat around it'
seemed to work....
its a generation thing ...
i was changing tyres and fixing punctures at 10 .....
and building my bike from bits to be honest...
the device generation have'nt got a chance ...
unless we help them .......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:............ 'finish opposite the valve .......

Why?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

A few years ago, I was on a charity ride that had a service van. I had a puncture and started fixing it myself in the car park of a handy pub. Service van came along and the mechanic took over. I was glad enough to let him, as he was faster than me & it was a cold, rainy day (in May :roll: ). I should have checked my wheel before setting off. Mr. Mechanic gave me my bike back, threw his stuff in the van & off he went. 2 revolutions of the wheel later I realised the tyre wasn't seated properly. :evil:

At least it only took me a few minutes to fix.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
dougie

Post by dougie »

Philip Benstead wrote:If you have loses fitting tyres do not forget to put talcum power between the inner tube and the tyre. It lubricates the moment of the tyre over the inner tube and prevents the inner tube from lifting the tyre of if it sticks together.

Try John Baby Power, it the cheapest.

I agree but I use talc with all tyres. A good tip: I always put some talc on the tube, just a little, and it helps the tyre on a little easier even on a tight fit.