Route Options: is there a resource for this?

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
vorsprung

Route Options: is there a resource for this?

Post by vorsprung »

At some point in the next couple of years I'd like to do a JoGLE

I've looked at the CTC resources and they seem to describe one official route in the lejog direction
I've looked at the "http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk" website and they seem to want £5 to give me this information

I guess it would be too easy if there was just some way of seeing which routes were good (for me)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Route Options: is there a resource for this?

Post by Mick F »

My first End2End was a JOGLE and I had no knowledge of anyone ever doing the ride. Obviously people had done it, but I had no knowledge and read no books on it.

What I had though, was a knowledge of British geography and a knowledge of how far I could cycle in a day, so I looked into the idea of routes.

I studied maps and picked likely destinations. It struck me that if I joined the YHA, perhaps the hostels could be in the right place! Coupled with the fact that I have a sister in Wrexham and we were living 90miles from LE, I reckoned I could do it.

My route was JOG to Helmsdale SYHA - short introductory day. I was there by 2pm.
Inverness SYHA
Pitlochry SYHA
Edinburgh SYHA
Carlisle YHA
Arnside YHA
Wrexham at my sister's place.
Malvern Hills YHA - since closed, but Welsh Bicknor could suffice.
Street YHA
Home in Gunnislake!
LE
11days averaged 80miles a day.

Since then, I did the Double End2End2End following the same route, and another JOGLE last year - again on the same basic route but found it was far easier to go via Gloucester instead of the Severn Bridge. I used B+Bs mainly and only a couple of SYHAs.
Mick F. Cornwall
robgul

Post by robgul »

There is no "official route" ... the number of routes in either direction is infinite .... that's part of the fun of planning.

What's "good for you" is obviously your decision .... people have on their rides : visited all the Premier League football grounds; only stayed at pubs called The Red Lion; traversed the Hebrides; climbed 3 peaks ... etc

... doubtless MickF will be along shortly.

Rob

Ah - Mick passed my message in the ether!!
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
horizon

Post by horizon »

Post deleted by me as not relevant.
Last edited by horizon on 9 Jan 2012, 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What I was attempting to illustrate, is that you don't need any preplanned routes, you make your own mind up.

Decide what sort of accommodation you want to stay at, decide how far you can go on each day, and Google likely places to see what's on offer.

Personally, I want all the accommodation booked and paid for in advance, but other folk are happy to arrive somewhere and look for accommodation. Some other folk like camping.

You have an infinite set of route choices, but in reality, it only comes down to a few basic choices.
1. A9 to Inverness or across the top of Scotland via Thurso and Tongue before turning south for Inverness.
2. Old A9 via Perth to Edinburgh or A82 via Loch Ness and Loch Lomond to Glasgow.
3. Carlisle to Bristol via Severn Bridge or Carlisle to Bristol via Gloucester.
4. Bristol to LE via Tavistock and Truro or Bristol to LE via Launceston and Wadebridge.
Mick F. Cornwall
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

Mick F wrote:
You have an infinite set of route choices, but in reality, it only comes down to a few basic choices.
1. A9 to Inverness or across the top of Scotland via Thurso and Tongue before turning south for Inverness.
2. Old A9 via Perth to Edinburgh or A82 via Loch Ness and Loch Lomond to Glasgow.
4. Bristol to LE via Tavistock and Truro or Bristol to LE via Launceston and Wadebridge.

thanks that's the sort of thing I was wanting to know
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great!
:D

Further info for those choices:

People like the wilderness of the north of Scotland - and I don't blame them - so take the Thurso/Tongue route to Inverness.
The "direct" route to Inverness is quicker and shorter. Maybe a day quicker - therefore cheaper too.

The route down the side of Loch Ness is fairly flat as you're following a long valley but you do have to go onto the busy A82 with a great deal of holiday traffic. Also, Glen Coe, Rannoch Moor, and Loch Lomond A82 can be busy.
If you take the Old A9 over the Grampians, you can go for 40 odd miles without seeing a car, but there are places where it's more efficient to go on the main A9 rather than cycle routes.

The Severn Bridge direction is most popular as the Wye Valley is pretty, but the Gloucester route is flatter by far.

The general routes will get you to Okehampton, from there you can go south to Tavistock and then west to Liskeard and St Austell - very busy and hilly along the A390. Other than that, take the quiet Old A30 to Launceston, then out via Egloskerry to the A39 and head southwest. This way is much easier and although the A39 can be busy, it's FAR easier than the A390.

Some folk head over Dartmoor to Tavistock from Exeter. Highly recommended if you're feeling fit and the weather is good, but CERTAINLY NOT recommended if the weather is iffy.

By the time you get to Redruth, all usual routes converge to follow the Old A30 and A30 to Penzance and LE.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mawsley

Post by Mawsley »

Mick F wrote:You have an infinite set of route choices, but in reality, it only comes down to a few basic choices.

That's brilliant, thank you! This is just what I've been looking for. :D
To the end of the road - My JOGLE '12 blog
Self financed and raising money for Children In Need with Just Giving
@2TheEndOTheRoad