Snow report

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rualexander

Re: Snow report

Post by rualexander »

About 4 inches of snow here just southeast of Glasgow when I got up this morning, and snowing again just now.
Only an inch or so yesterday so we stuck the studded tyres on and got out for a short 20 miler :
IMG_0393.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good on yer, rualexander!
Nice photograph!

Sunny and dry, but been cold today.
Just washed the car BTW.

They forecast it to be freezing overnight. Maybe our first frost.
When I think about this time last year ......
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Big John wrote:No snow in the Gateshead/Central Newcastle part of Tyneside this morning, but some of the roads (at least those without regular car traffic) were covered in black ice at 8am - I can personally attest to this having slid 20 yards on my belly down one of them following an abrupt and unexpected separation from my bike!

Happily I'm uninjured, but my bike's a little bent...

Is that like a 'bent for a clown ;)

Glad to hear you are injured - hope the bike is OK...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

No snow here. Yet. Borrowed time.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

rualexander wrote:About 4 inches of snow here just southeast of Glasgow when I got up this morning, and snowing again just now.
Only an inch or so yesterday so we stuck the studded tyres on and got out for a short 20 miler :
IMG_0393.jpg

Nice pic. How good are studs (the tyres, that is) on tarmac?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Studded tyres are fine on tarmac. If there is no snow or ice they are a bit noisy (a kind of crackling sound), but otherwise just like riding with knobbly tyres, no problem.
If you get tyres where the studs are tungsten carbide tipped, the studs don't wear down much, mine are now into their fourth season of weekend cycling.
If there is ice, the studs dig in and grip well and the noise drops away. On snow, the tread gives you grip as well.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Is that like a 'bent for a clown

Glad to hear you are injured - hope the bike is OK...

:D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

rualexander wrote:Studded tyres are fine on tarmac. If there is no snow or ice they are a bit noisy (a kind of crackling sound), but otherwise just like riding with knobbly tyres, no problem....

Thanks for that, now I have the touring bike I'll be able to keep fit this winter with those on. Heh: according to French law I have to sport a plaque at the back reading "Pneus cloutés".
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Audax67 wrote:
rualexander wrote:Studded tyres are fine on tarmac. If there is no snow or ice they are a bit noisy (a kind of crackling sound), but otherwise just like riding with knobbly tyres, no problem....

Thanks for that, now I have the touring bike I'll be able to keep fit this winter with those on. Heh: according to French law I have to sport a plaque at the back reading "Pneus cloutés".

Awesome - do they expect this to be steel or can you scribble it on a post it?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Only slightly cold here in North Hertfordshire around 2C at night and hovering around 6-10C during the day, we had one decent frost last Thursday, otherwise sunny & clear during for the last week or so bar a 15 minute light shower. Hanging the washing out the other day it was quite warm out of the breeze :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

Awesome - do they expect this to be steel or can you scribble it on a post it?

Maybe I'm supposed to do a Polonius and nail it to me arras.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slippy on the bac roads this morning - might have to get more studded tyres...
horizon

Post by horizon »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Slippy on the back roads this morning - might have to get more studded tyres...

The weatherman on Radio 4 used "slippy" this morning. Is this a northernism (as opposed to slippery)?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

horizon wrote:
The weatherman on Radio 4 used "slippy" this morning. Is this a northernism (as opposed to slippery)?

YARP :lol:
I love regional variations that describe the same thing but are totally unique, 'fair froz t' bone' might be heard in some parts of the North this winter :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

horizon wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Slippy on the back roads this morning - might have to get more studded tyres...

Ooh - I'm not sure I'd not describe myself as a northerner (I have been know to suggest that the north starts at the M4) but since I've lived in what is officially the midlands for a few years now...

I think it's just me being bone idle, and repeating the weather forecaster's words.