Wild life

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
crazydavid

Wild life

Post by crazydavid »

I haven't posted for a while, been watching though!

I thought I would share this with you. I live in an urban sprawl, but we do have an un-made up alley way running down the side. Over the years, we have had our fair share of wild life visit the garden, foxes, hedgehogs, squirrels, bats and a heron which nicked all our gold-fish. I had thought that it would not get much more exotic than that.

Last night however, at about 11pm, we were treated to the sight of a tawny owl. He sat for about 6/7 minutes on our washing line before diving down in the side alley. I presume he caught a mouse or something. It was quite a clear night and the moon was up, so we were able to get a good look at him. Hopefully, he will come back tonight for a repeat performance.

All the best.
HPFlashman

Re: Wild life

Post by HPFlashman »

Wonderfull experiences, the random encounters with wildlife. When they drop in, litterary out of the blue... Thumbs up and hope the owl returns for an encore. :D
Best regards

Harry
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Its funny you should mention that,we had a Sparrow Hawk drop its prey,small bird, right outside the kitchen door yesterday then drop down and mantle it whilst staring at Mrs R2 through the open door :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

reohn2 wrote:then drop down and mantle it

This is a phrase I have not heard before, what does it mean?

Cats and Magpies do for most of ours. I do hear foxes in the night and it is a horrid sound.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Edwards wrote:
reohn2 wrote:then drop down and mantle it

This is a phrase I have not heard before, what does it mean?

Cats and Magpies do for most of ours. I do hear foxes in the night and it is a horrid sound.

They spread their wings over the prey to stop other birds seeing it and attempting to steal it.The S/hawk must have thought Mrs R2 was looking to cook up the sparrow for my tea :?
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I had a bat above me one night last week, at least I think it was a bat. No trees nearby and the shape and time of night wasn't that for a bird.
Si

Post by Si »

Startled a fox in the middle of the cyclepath t'other night. And, as it was a moon lit night and I'd turned my lumi off, he started me somewhat too.

Also got to play goose-slalom in the dark too, which was fun.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

On the mtb last week in daytime - a fox on the Thames path, several groups of Roe deer and a Muntjac in the forest. Oh, and loads of Red Kites wheeling overhead calling their mates and presumably hoping to pick off a fallen pensioner!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I've only noticed Redwings and Fieldfares in any numbers in the last couple of weeks which is a sure sign its been warmer further north and east.
The Swallows and Swifts seemed to leave us later this time too.
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

On the rural part of my commute I've had a fox cross the path ahead of me and also had to contend with lunatic rabbits coming out of the bushes and running along the road ahead of me too close for comfort, you never know where there will run. This video, not mine, shows an urban fox in the centre of Bristol close to the Old Market roundabout .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDs_RAfC84g&feature=g-u
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I've had a sparrow hawk 'mantle' on my front grass, and recently the long tailed tits have returned to my feeder.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MikewsMITH2

Post by MikewsMITH2 »

Deer stood in the road next to the golf course a couple of times (that's a real treat). Rabbits all the time. Bats on summer evenings. A sparrow hawk missed me by inches a few weeks ago. On the back of the tandem Mrs MWS spends her time bird watching and wildlife and wildflower spotting in general as she can't see much in over my shoulder. Its one of the joys of cycling for us. She also feeds hedgehogs and foxes in our front garden. We are only a mile from the town centre.
S.O.S - Save Our Steel!
1971 Raleigh Mercury
2010 Condor Fratello
1980 Peugeot Tandem
1989 MBK Aventure MTB
195? Viking Severn Valley
1951 Raleigh Lenton Sports
See them here http://tinyurl.com/Mikewsmiths-Bikes
dodger

Post by dodger »

Was out fishing in Looe Bay 2 weeks ago and a puffin flew low over the boat heading up the English Channel.
Noticed a story on the BBC site at the weekend about a puffin that had been found about 10 days ago at Winchester Hospital. Wonder if it was the same one?
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

Love reading these... No wildlife thats very exciting where I live, although I did see a pod of dolphin a few weeks back. Over for the herring spawning...

Better than life isnt it, to see something truly wild and free.

M
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

The biggest spooking I got froom wildlife was when a heron took off ahead of me when in Holland. Plenty of space between us but seeing one in real life with the wings at full stretch made me realise that pictures in books don't do it's size justice.