Rear child seat

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
tinribs

Rear child seat

Post by tinribs »

Hi there

I'm looking at buying a child bike seat this month to take the bairn out over Christmas. I've been browsing but there seems to be an awful lot of choice. Anybody got any particular recommendations? Looking to spend 70 quid max.

Cheers for any advice
gaz

Re: Rear child seat

Post by gaz »

Co-Pilot limo. It comes with a Blackburn Expedition rack so is only suitable for bikes with a four point carrier fixing. It can easily be moved between bikes fitted with the same rack and can be used off the bike as a chair. I was very happy with ours as was mini-me.

Breaks your budget but it's worth it especially if you plan regular useage.

You can look for second-hand models and research the re-sale value, guestimate at around 50% of purchase price.

Co-Pilot taxi is the budget version and should be just in your price range.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I have a Co-pilot taxi that has had very little use (although I don't have the Blackburn rack to go with it any more) that I am looking to sell, pop me a PM if you are interested.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
g00se

Post by g00se »

if you're on a budget - the Beto Deluxe Recliner are good:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=child+seat+beto&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&sourceid=Mozilla-search&start=0#q=child+seat+beto&hl=en&sa=G&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&ei=PgHcTsj-OMjR8gOfu9TaDQ&ved=0CJUBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=b9a9b0236b97a5ab&biw=1210&bih=793

Comes with a rack for around £60-70. You can get spare racks (including disc-versions) doe £25. Like most rack-mounting child seats, you need the specific rack.

These are rated up to 15kg - so up to about 3/4 yrs.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a Hamax Sleepy on my hybrid, and a Co-Pilot Limo on the tandem.

We like both seats. (Littlest happily falls asleep in either; that's his review :wink: ) I generally prefer the seat tube mounting for two reasons: I think the Hamax Sleepy is a little more comfortable, (the little ones get less vibration through the sprung mounting) and there's still room for small (or under capacity) pannier bags under the Hamax seat.

The things I like about each...

Hamax Sleepy
Sprung mounting
good adjustment in recline
easy to use foot straps
space underneath for pannier mounting
easy to take off/put on

CoPilot Limo
Gel seat cushion
the harness system
good adjustment in recline
easy to take off/put on

The things I don't like about each...
The harness clip on the Hamax is a pain; I sometimes need two hands to un-clip it
the Hamax mounting (which I leave on the bike) is a bit on the heavy side
The foot straps on the Co-Pilot are a pain; I want to replace them
I don't like losing the pannier mounting with the CoPilot

I think the CoPilot may be a little wider, but it's not a huge difference.

One of these, fits either seat. 8)

Good luck & enjoy the rides with your little one!

Edited to add...
The CoPilot Taxi doesn't recline. I think the recline is a nice feature to have, as little ones often fall asleep in the seat & if they are upright, their heads tend to flop forward. Other differences: the Taxi can't be used as a seat off the bike & the foot cups don't adjust up & down.

If you want more information, the instruction for the Limo & Taxi seats are available on-line
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25583610/Co ... o-and-Taxi
Last edited by Vorpal on 7 Oct 2013, 2:18pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix lost link
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Andybg

Post by Andybg »

I have one of the seat post mounted ones. The make on it is OK - there is one on ebay now if you want to have a look.

It works well and only takes a couple of seconds to take off although the mounting braket left on the bike still weighs about 400g and is quite bulky.

I do feel the inherent suspension of this design is very good and gives a much more comfy ride. It also can be used on any bike irrelivent of if it has carrier mountings or not.

I have also used the same system (removing the seat from its metal hanger) and using it to fit a cat carrier.

I would reccomend you have a look second hand as these turn up often and most people hardly use them - Good intentions etc.

I paid 5 pounds for mine and it was spotless

There is plenty of adjustment - I use mine for our 8 month old grand daughter and hope it will do her until she is 2
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Thorn Nomad Mk1
Thorn Raven Sport Tour
robgul

Post by robgul »

Hamax is fine - big block thing clamps to the seat tube and seat is easily removed, but locks securely. Bought mine, still in box, from ebay for £7 (I did have to drive 4 miles to fetch it!) - about £75 in Halfrods I think

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Most of the seats are good until about 3 or 4 years, depending on the child. My oldest outgrew the Hamax seat when she was 4. My littlest is 2-1/2 and currently in no danger of outgrowing it. Most of them give a max weight rating of 18 - 25 kg. The Hamax Sleepy has a max weight rating of 22 kg. CoPilot lists the capacity as 40 lbs.

My oldest outgrew the Hamax Sleepy size-wise before she was too heavy for it.

I bought the Hamax Sleepy from an LBS, and the CoPilot used on ebay. I reckon they are good value for either way & I've long since recovered my investment for being able to take the bike instead of the car. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Wow thanks very much for all the incredibly informative advice. I've decided to go for the Co-Pilot Limo and have just ordered it on wiggle with the rack for just 60 bones!

Now all I need is this hail to stop.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I would just echo what Vorpal said........they get COLD.
Snow suits in July.
Sleet is a no-no.
james01

Post by james01 »

531colin wrote:I would just echo what Vorpal said........they get COLD.
Snow suits in July.
Sleet is a no-no.

+1. You're working and getting warm, they're not, so wrap them in triple layers!
Tips for beginners:
1. Everything ready, all strapped in, child happy. Dad absent-mindedly cocks leg over saddle in routine mounting move, kicking child in head :oops: . Yes I've done it and I'm not the only one.
2. NEVER leave child in bike propped against a wall, even to pop a letter into the postbox 5 yards away. Bikes have a mind of their own and WILL roll away.
3. Most difficulties revolve around parking/mounting/dismounting/wheeling the bike, when the instability is at its worst. Once you're under way it's not so bad but do practice somewhere quiet at first.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

see below. meant to edit rather than reply :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Vorpal on 6 Dec 2011, 10:28am, edited 2 times in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

james01 wrote:1. Everything ready, all strapped in, child happy. Dad absent-mindedly cocks leg over saddle in routine mounting move, kicking child in head :oops: . Yes I've done it and I'm not the only one.

I've gotten so used to putting my leg over the top tube, I do it when I'm riding solo. Mine was forgetting my daughter was on the bike & coming out of the saddle to climb a hill. The combination of child & the wobble of me shifting weight... :shock: She wasn't hurt, just scared. It was a quiet road. She still remembers it (she was 2 then & is now 5), but it didn't put her off cycling.

james01 wrote:2. NEVER leave child in bike propped against a wall, even to pop a letter into the postbox 5 yards away. Bikes have a mind of their own and WILL roll away.
3. Most difficulties revolve around parking/mounting/dismounting/wheeling the bike, when the instability is at its worst. Once you're under way it's not so bad but do practice somewhere quiet at first.

A velcro strap or something to hold a brake lever down while loading & unloading is a handy addition to the bicycle. 8) But I still wouldn't go more than two feet from the bike with someone still in the seat.
g00se

Post by g00se »

You get used to leaning the bike against something, one foot behind the back wheel, one against the pedal.

You could get a two-leg bike stand, but I still wouldn't trust it.

Never kicked the little darling in the head - or dropped her yet - but we were on holiday, cycling up a steep hill on a hired bike and seat. It got steeper and steeper until the front wheel starting lifting at the bottom of each pedal stroke - felt like it was about to go over backwards... Trying to stop, get you feet down, get you leg back over and keep the bike upright on that kind of slope with the weight on the back is very off-putting.

Might be good for pulling wheelies though....
wburnettdorset

Post by wburnettdorset »

Seeking advice whether there is a rear baby seat that my wife and I could use either on my Dawes Galaxy tourer or an Elephant Bike (ex Pashley MailStar). Is this too big an ask? (Baby is now 11 months).