Magazine Survey.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
JohnW

Re: Magazine Survey.

Post by JohnW »

Si wrote:
However, there is informnation requested that won't benefit the Cyclists' Touring Club - or I can't see how it would.

Or even 'information' if we are going to quibble about typos :D

I'd suggest one possible advantage to members:

Speaking as someone who sometimes buys advertising space in magazines, knowing various things about the readers is very important to me when deciding which magazine to buy space in. I want to know how much the readers have to spend, their interests, where they are based, etc etc because it all tells me whether or not they are the target market for my products. I expect the magazine to supply reliable information on this.

Thus, if Cycle can demonstrate to its potential advertisers that it does have the readership that will interest them, it will sell advertising space. If it sells more advertising space then less of my subs goes towards the magazine, and more towards campaigning and other member benefits.

I know that some are not happy with the amount of advertising in Cycle, but I believe that that is a different discussion.

OK Si - I note that, but surely it's taken for granted that CTC membership covers the whole spectrum of ages, income groups, cycling preferences etc.

However, I object to giving some of the information requested and I reserve my right not to give it.

As for advertising in "Cycle" - I don't object at all - regardless of commercial considerations - I find Cycle to be a pretty good directory of cycle goods and services, and a good source of contact information for companies selling those goods and providing those services. I'm happy with "Cycle" as it is.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you Kevin for putting it straight. Perhaps your assurances should have been on the survey to start with.

Sorry, though, I won't be filling in the survey for three reasons.
1. I never fill in surveys.
2. The questions aren't good enough - survey questions never are.
3. I never fill in surveys.

Questions:
I see from the blurb at the top of the survey that it's addressed to CTC members. Does this mean it wasn't enclosed in the copies that Joe Public can buy for £3?
If Cycle can be bought from a news stand, how many are sold in comparison to those given for free to CTC members?
Does this fact - whatever it is - have any bearings on the survey results and the questions asked?
Mick F. Cornwall
Kevin Mayne

Post by Kevin Mayne »

The issue of a price on the mag cover is something to do with whether we have to assume VAT is part of your membership fee - and I can never remember what. Its one of those subjects where I am just so grateful that someone else does the detail, but I know it has to be there.

We haven't had a subscription only mag offer for years but it does go to a lot of libraries and youth hostels for free.

For the other posters I can confirm that the information you provide is vital - CTC members may cover all ages and interests but you are a very diverse in your tastes for magazine content. The sort of amount you will spend on your kit helps tell us what sort of bikes and holidays to review as well as giving us a fantastic resource to show to advertisers. Its no secret - without £200,000 per year in advertising income there is a real knock on to subs, but we really don't want to waste your pages or the advertisers money by chasing ads that nobody is interested in.

Kevin
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Anyway Kevin, I'd just like to say that I really like this edition of the mag, lots about Touring which pleases me and which is at the heart of the CTC.

I too binned the survey because it didnt mention the reassurances that you have made in your post. Let that be a lesson to you and that 'very experienced' magazine company. They are not as experienced as you believe, are they? :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
limitingfactor

Post by limitingfactor »

I'd have thought an online survey would have got a larger response. It could be limited to CTC members by including a login step involving membership number. A postal-only survey seems a bit old fashioned and I doubt I'll get round to it, to be honest - whereas I could have done an online version in the time I've taken over logging on here and typing this.

So, online option next time please!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I don't have a problem with returning a survey by post, but even respecting Kevin Mayne's candid explanation of why certain information was requested, I still didn't want to give it and that's the reason why I've not submitted it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

limitingfactor wrote:I'd have thought an online survey would have got a larger response. It could be limited to CTC members by including a login step involving membership number.

Like the members only link to the Cycle archive. :roll:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade