Speed cushions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gentlegreen

Re: Speed cushions

Post by gentlegreen »

PW wrote:Speed cushions/tables I can live with, at a pinch. The one which REALLY gets my goat is the "Pedestrian Refuge Island". Those things are potentially lethal if you don't block any attempt to overtake, and we all know the occasional idiot will try to knock you out of the way or start a fight 'cos you haven't paid enough tax to slow his journey time by 3 seconds. :evil: My old works commute was like a series of sprint intervals along Old Whittington High Street, with a series of climbs at either end. Gave up in the finish and used the canal instead for the sake of an extra 10 minutes.

There's a particularly annoying one on my morning commute. It was plonked there in conjunction with a new "facility".
I can squeeze past the others on the hill when the cagers have clogged the road, but this one is particularly large and sharp-edged.

It's really only a problem when I filter and I confess I sometimes deliberately ride the wrong side of it - the only time I would ever do such a thing.
karlt

Post by karlt »

PW wrote:Speed cushions/tables I can live with, at a pinch. The one which REALLY gets my goat is the "Pedestrian Refuge Island". Those things are potentially lethal if you don't block any attempt to overtake, and we all know the occasional idiot will try to knock you out of the way or start a fight 'cos you haven't paid enough tax to slow his journey time by 3 seconds. :evil: My old works commute was like a series of sprint intervals along Old Whittington High Street, with a series of climbs at either end. Gave up in the finish and used the canal instead for the sake of an extra 10 minutes.

Is it just me, or does it often stink of ordure down at that canal?
PW

Post by PW »

There's a slurry farm across the river just after Newbridge Lane lock. Pedal like hell up the old railway track you soon get past it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
karlt

Post by karlt »

PW wrote:There's a slurry farm across the river just after Newbridge Lane lock. Pedal like hell up the old railway track you soon get past it.

That'd be it then. Nice idea to put a recreational path through an area that smells like a cats' litter tray the morning after the animal nicked some out of date pork.

Which reminds me of proof that God is a civil engineer. Who else would put a waste disposal pipe straight through a recreation area?
pwward

Post by pwward »

pwward - thanks for the link - it will cost money to download, so I'll consult our section treasurer.

Have another look, it's free. You just have to register.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

One in our region consists of a high full-width speed bump with one-foot-wide vertical slots left for cyclists. Turn the pedals and you're off.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or carry low panniers, or have three wheels.
And of course don't even think of riding fixed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PRL

Post by PRL »

With a thin covering of snow the sides of cushions can rotate a cyclist neatly through 90 degrees. Been there got the bruised elbow :cry: