Padlock Alarms

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
anniesboy

Padlock Alarms

Post by anniesboy »

We have had a spate of bike thefts in my neck of the woods. Hence I have thought about security when leaving bikes outside supermarkets etc.

I wonder if anyone one has used a padlock alarm ,this type of thing http://is.gd/2YxLF4

I need to use a cable type lock as often my wife is with me hence two bikes or tandem.
alanesq

Re: Padlock Alarms

Post by alanesq »

I have one of these (from Lidl a while back under a different brand name)

I sometimes clip it onto my chain ring (being fixed this means you can't wheel the bike away with this)
it is handy as if someone shakes the bike it makes a lot of noise, but it is a very poor quality padlock and if you cover the sounder holes it renders it almost silent

so not good on the high security side, but good as a cheap theft deterrent
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Have a read at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=45684

This lock is awesome.
Mick F. Cornwall
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I've used an 'Alarm It' lock & cable, very loud and the cable is cut resistant. The alarm goes off if cut/attacked.
Tesco have YALE alarm locks with a retractable 60cm cable for £15
There's these too http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/12081973 ... s&var=sbar as sold by SJS for £30!
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I take back what I said about my cheap Lidl alarmed padlock !

Just had my bike stolen whilst I was in Tesco !!!!
got the police involved etc. and got my crime number - I then decided to walk home via the back of the store in case they had discovered the hard way what a fixed gear bike is ;-)
and would you believe it - found my bike round the corner, completely unharmed :-)

I had my alarmed padlock round the chain ring so I guess when they got round the corner and discovered they couldn't ride the bike and it was making a lot of noise they just abandoned it

Best xmas present I could have hoped for :-)

so I am now looking to buy a decent lock as they seemed to have cut through the Tesco one I had very easily!
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

alanesq wrote:Best xmas present I could have hoped for :-)

so I am now looking to buy a decent lock as they seemed to have cut through the Tesco one I had very easily!

But you still have your bike so it did it's job (to a degree)!

Always great to hear about a recovered bike :)
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

yes, I didn't think for a moment I would ever see it again

Looks like the Tesco lock was useless (not surprised really, I had planned to get a U lock but then heard reports they are also easy to get round, just requires different tools? so I never bothered in the end)
however the £7 alarmed padlock which I thought pretty much a waste of the cheap metal it is made of saved the day :-)
BTW - I would guess by the way it was carefully left round the corner of the building that they planned to return for it with better tools?
coffeedrinkerUK

Post by coffeedrinkerUK »

If you can open this link http://www.halgradesyourlocks.com/ its worth a look.
Baz8755

Post by Baz8755 »

I tend to use a good quality lock and a bicycle alarm.

On my ATB I have a remote controlled alarm that fits snugly into the underside of my saddle and on my road bike I have an alarm that is disarmed by keying in a code.

Both alarms have adjustable sensitivity and can even sense when someone merely touches the bike or chain.

They both sell for £15 or less on EBay or dealextreme.
TonyR

Padlock Alarms

Post by TonyR »

Baz8755 wrote:I tend to use a good quality lock and a bicycle alarm.

On my ATB I have a remote controlled alarm that fits snugly into the underside of my saddle and on my road bike I have an alarm that is disarmed by keying in a code.

Both alarms have adjustable sensitivity and can even sense when someone merely touches the bike or chain.

They both sell for £15 or less on EBay or dealextreme.

Thieves love alarms. They can set them off and if no-one responds they know the owner is not nearby and they can take the bike without risk.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree.
When I use mine, I'm not far away - and definitely within ear-shot!
Mick F. Cornwall
coffeedrinkerUK

Post by coffeedrinkerUK »

Some years ago i lived in a city centre situation for a good number of years and realized that in urban places people not only ignore alarms, they often dont even hear them. Security alarms used to run for hours & nobody batted an eye lid (the law on such alarms may have changed since)."Its part of the city soundscape, emergency services included". I would supose its probably different in suburban & rural places. Anyway i'd think i would rather have a good lock with a bad alarm than a weak lock with a good alarm.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I've just bought one of the Krabus alarm locks that MickF recommended - £7.50 from Ebay. I intend using it when camping to ensure no one nips off with my pride and joy during the night. The only worry is if it is set off accidentally it will wake the whole campsite!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:shock:
Loud eh?
Mick F. Cornwall