Oh my poor knees

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ayesha

Oh my poor knees

Post by Ayesha »

http://www.kneeclinic.info/knee_sports_ ... ycling.php

"Touring cyclists often develop a knee overuse injury during or after one specific usually long ride. These sporadic high-mileage riders often do not train adequately."

Hmmmm...
snibgo

Re: Oh my poor knees

Post by snibgo »

Gosh, this cycling lark seems painful. I'd better stop doing it.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

After my orthoscopy last year, the doc said I should avoid cycling and I'd be better running or playing football (my other sins) - so it seems to depend on where in the knee the wear and tear has happened. In all honesty, I do less than 2000 miles a year anyway so I don't think it matters, but I do try to ride at a higher cadence
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

My pal's wife injured her knee very badly whilst horse riding. Cycling for her is excellent therapy, as her joint is held in a jig while she gets non-weight bearing exercise. I am no orthopaedic surgeon, but I fail to see how either the impact of running, or the direction changes of football, could ever be preferred over cycling. Cycling is fantastic; it's the only form of exercise I know that can be undertaken while seated.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

As a rugby league man the stats show that lower limb injuries particularly knees and ankles are far more prevalent in soccer than a full contact sport such as ours (and pretty much all other sports I think). This is something we mention when talking to parents when trying to get their kids to be involved.
Running is high impact made even worse with incorrect running shoes (Or none at all).
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 21 Dec 2011, 10:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

dewi1 wrote:After my orthoscopy last year, the doc said I should avoid cycling and I'd be better running or playing football (my other sins) - so it seems to depend on where in the knee the wear and tear has happened. In all honesty, I do less than 2000 miles a year anyway so I don't think it matters, but I do try to ride at a higher cadence

Well I had an Arthroscopy procedure last year and the consultant surgeon thoroughly approved of cycling. I was told to avoid high impact exercise such as running and football. As I fully recovered from the procedure in 6 weeks, and bearing in mind that he could spell Arthroscopy, I'm sticking with his advice.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

xpc316e wrote:My pal's wife injured her knee very badly whilst horse riding. Cycling for her is excellent therapy, as her joint is held in a jig while she gets non-weight bearing exercise. I am no orthopaedic surgeon, but I fail to see how either the impact of running, or the direction changes of football, could ever be preferred over cycling. Cycling is fantastic; it's the only form of exercise I know that can be undertaken while seated.

You need impact and weight on the bones though, or your bone density can suffer.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/24009 ... e-density/
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Cycling is the second most strenuous exercise that is performed in a seated position. The leader is rowing. Especially when the Emporer wants to waterski :lol:
The strenuous parts of cycling are performed in the standing position. If you can ride a bike up a hill and remain seated, the hill wasn't steep enough :lol:

Running is an 'impact' sport when technique is abysmal. One's heels should rarely make contact. One 'bounces' along using the knees, hips AND ankles as a 'Z' frame.
Remember Dr Alice Roberts' "Origin of us" TV show? What an utter load of crap. Most of distance running stamina comes from the calves... :roll:; and its an easy and pleasingly fluid movement with correct foot placement.
When you see a runner's heel hitting first, they're wasting energy with every stride.

Once correct running technique is learned, riding a bike become even more easy, as you have a predisposition to 'Ankling'. Especially climbing hills. :D
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

My arthroscopy was just over 3 years ago. I was cycling within a week with the consent of the medic . It gives me virtually no grief when cycling but running is out of the question. Walking down long hills hurts.
Funnily enough the one bit of cycling that can hurt is a highish cadence. I push big gears through choice anyway. Also a relatively short frame brings me over the crank more which helps whereas my full suss MTB which places me more behind the crank hurts my knees.
My milegae this year went from about 2 thousand to over 5 with a few 10 hour days or 100 miles plus with no probs.
I reckon its very much a case of suck it and see.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

I can't walk without crutches, and anything over a few hundred yards (or considerably less if there's no opportunity to rest) means using the wheelchair.
But I can still cycle, and my orthopaedic consultant (who did my arthroscopy) , physiotherapist, occupational therapist and GP have all recommended and encourage cycling as transport, therapy and aerobic exercise.
I can't even get started or stopped on an upright any more without a launcher and catcher, but I'm getting a recumbent sorted out that I can manage to ride.

As for
Ayesha wrote:If you can ride a bike up a hill and remain seated, the hill wasn't steep enough :lol:
I'd be interested in any other way of doing it on a recumbent bicycle - I'd love to see video of someone standing on the pedals to climb a hill on a Bacchetta Café :D
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

Ayesha wrote:Running is an 'impact' sport when technique is abysmal. One's heels should rarely make contact. One 'bounces' along using the knees, hips AND ankles as a 'Z' frame.

So you can bounce without any sort of impact? :)
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

Ayesha wrote: The strenuous parts of cycling are performed in the standing position. If you can ride a bike up a hill and remain seated, the hill wasn't steep enough :lol:

. :D

So the Wrynose isn't steep
tyred

Post by tyred »

Ayesha wrote: If you can ride a bike up a hill and remain seated, the hill wasn't steep enough :lol:

So I'll write a letter of complaint to God for not making the hills in my area steep enough :P
karlt

Post by karlt »

tyred wrote:
Ayesha wrote: If you can ride a bike up a hill and remain seated, the hill wasn't steep enough :lol:

So I'll write a letter of complaint to God for not making the hills in my area steep enough :P

You can have some of ours. I'd like to keep the nice pretty ones that the moors are on and the ones around Dronfield, because it makes the Drone valley look nice and we need somewhere for the Freeview transmitter, but you're welcome to the one up to Brimington and the ones on the Staveley-Eckington road which don't really serve much of a useful purpose.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Russcoles wrote:
Ayesha wrote:Running is an 'impact' sport when technique is abysmal. One's heels should rarely make contact. One 'bounces' along using the knees, hips AND ankles as a 'Z' frame.

So you can bounce without any sort of impact? :)

The uninitiated call running an 'impact sport' because they strike the heel before the mid-foot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q