80 mph speed limit proposal

snibgo

Re: 80 mph speed limit proposal

Post by snibgo »

DfT wrote:We have announced our intention to consult about changing the national speed limit on motorways from 70 mph to 80 mph. We are also examining whether an 80 mph should be extended on a case by case basis to some other dual carriageways. We also intend to consider raising the speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes on single carriageway roads.

(http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/ ... ummary.pdf)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

snibgo wrote:
DfT wrote:We have announced our intention to consult about changing the national speed limit on motorways from 70 mph to 80 mph. We are also examining whether an 80 mph should be extended on a case by case basis to some other dual carriageways.We also intend to consider raising the speed limit for HGVs over 7.5 tonnes on single carriageway roads.

(http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/ ... ummary.pdf)

Bonkers IMHO!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I am slightly amused that central government is taking the popular line of increasing speed limits, leaving local government with the unpopular task of lowering them. Around here, the residents of one parish (including the parish council chair, a self-confessed Clarksonite) are complaining about speed limit reductions in another parish.

I hate the prospect of HGVs going faster on country lanes.

But I'm more disturbed about 80 mph on "some other dual carriageways". How would that work? Perhaps with special signs saying the NSL doesn't apply. Or the NSL will be raised to 80 mph so the "slow" dual carriageways will need "70 mph" signs.

In any case, it will increase the pressure to keep cyclists off pseudo-motorways (without building alternatives), and upgrade slow dual carriageways to pseudo-motorways.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Interesting that this is referred to as "consultation" because what it means, especially in connection with raising the speed limit for HGV's, is "the vested interests have been to see us with their shopping lists, and this is what they want. We are now going through the motions....."
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Yes. I hope other vested interests (eg CTC) are putting the other arguments. For example: keeping HGV limits low on country lanes discourages rat-running, keeping lanes (and villages on them) relatively civilised. And if cars are currently delayed by slow HGVs: good, because the same argument applies to them.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

I notice that they are also making workplace parking levies practically impossible to implement, so making it impossible for local authorities to regulate demand in that way.

"Councils looking to introduce a workplace parking levy will have to meet stricter conditions, to make sure that they do not impose a burden on business."

Is there any way that a workplace parking levy can be implemented without imposing a burden on business?

So another pro-gridlock measure.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Phil_Lee wrote: ... So another pro-gridlock measure.
Not all bad news then.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

"Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010
Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983
These regulations relate to the construction, sale and use of pedal cycles, including requirements for bells, reflectors, and brakes. We will review how best to consolidate and simplify these regulations and we expect, for example, to remove the requirement to supply bicycle bells."

This would be a perfect opportunity to amend the requirement for pedal reflectors to make recumbents and panniers legal at night.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Phil_Lee wrote:"Pedal Bicycles (Safety) Regulations 2010
Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983
These regulations relate to the construction, sale and use of pedal cycles, including requirements for bells, reflectors, and brakes. We will review how best to consolidate and simplify these regulations and we expect, for example, to remove the requirement to supply bicycle bells."

This would be a perfect opportunity to amend the requirement for pedal reflectors to make recumbents and panniers legal at night.

It may be the Government is more interested in regulations which affect commerce than those which affect the actual use of bicycles.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Removal of requirement for bell or pedal refletors; what would be the difference to commerce?

It would be a good oportunity to lobby for removal of pedal reflectors. I've just bought some Shimano M530 pedals. Without reflectors, they are quite acceptable in appearance. With the reflectors, they look like an accessory for a Lada motor car.

I think I might take them off and wear flo leg bands instead.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

CREPELLO wrote:Removal of requirement for bell or pedal refletors; what would be the difference to commerce?

Not a lot really, but these things do have to be made supplied and fitted. I can't think of any other reason the Government might abolish these requirements and not the law Phil Lee mentions, which makes it impossible for some bikes to be strictly legal at night. It does seem to say something about its priorities.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:........ We are now going through the motions....."

And when they go through the motions we get the product :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

reohn2 wrote: ...And when they go through the motions we get the product :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know exactly what you mean. (I once swallowed a gold crown and spent a few anxious days, but it's glued back in now :D )
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

snibgo wrote:Yes. I hope other vested interests (eg CTC) are putting the other arguments. For example: keeping HGV limits low on country lanes discourages rat-running, keeping lanes (and villages on them) relatively civilised. And if cars are currently delayed by slow HGVs: good, because the same argument applies to them.

The use of the term 'Country Lanes' is meaningless and emotive. Environmental weight limits are the correct tool for restricting HGV use of minor roads. The current single carriageway speed limit for vehicles over 7.5t is 40mph. Few HGVs obey this limit which tends to cause considerable tailbacks, and few police forces in England, enforce it. It could be argued that cyclists are more at risk when traffic is tailed back. 50mph is considered a more reasonable limit for these roads by many of the interested parties. Of course a speed limit is just that, a limit. Local conditions should always be the first decider in maximum safe speed.

Being overtaken inconsiderately by a fast HGV is unnerving but most HGV v Cyclist collisions are in low speed urban areas.

I'm not arguing in any direction, though personally feel that raising speed limits would be counter productive to reducing casualties. I do feel that it is dangerous to put pressure on organisations to adopt ill thought out stances however.