Idiot Drvier

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Langley

Idiot Drvier

Post by Langley »

It never amazed me the dumb people allowed to drive.

Yesterday morning on way to work said dumb person cut me up a treat. shot past me but immediately turn left into the Highcliffe golf club carpark. See him every morning in his pimped renault clio. How he did not see i do not know. 3 rear light and a hiviz cycling jacket.

Had a few words with him and his only lame reply was "sorry"

Why are these people allowed to drive? Felt like reporting him to the police but i have yet to get the local plod to do something about it. I do feel like taking things into my own hands but that will never sort the issue out.

On a plus notee i know where he works so he tries that again his employer will be contacted.

Oh, if anyone is around that area watch out for Renault clio, purple colour Y 531 HCP.

Tried to enter details on a report crap drivers web page but got one of those daft letter to type in but can never read it. Why?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Idiot Drvier

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Langley wrote:It never amazed me the dumb people allowed to drive.

Yesterday morning on way to work said dumb person cut me up a treat. shot past me but immediately turn left into the Highcliffe golf club carpark. See him every morning in his pimped renault clio. How he did not see i do not know. 3 rear light and a hiviz cycling jacket.

Had a few words with him and his only lame reply was "sorry"

Why are these people allowed to drive? Felt like reporting him to the police but i have yet to get the local plod to do something about it. I do feel like taking things into my own hands but that will never sort the issue out.

On a plus notee i know where he works so he tries that again his employer will be contacted.

Oh, if anyone is around that area watch out for Renault clio, purple colour Y 531 HCP.

Tried to enter details on a report crap drivers web page but got one of those daft letter to type in but can never read it. Why?

Because you are a bot?

He did see you he just didn't consider you worth even a moment of his time as he was clearly more important (illustrated by his choice of transport)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I can confirm that happens !

take a look at this video from this morning. A chap tries to run me over and when I ask him why he says "what else was I supposed to do"
i.e. I was using the bit of road he wanted and so I had to die or get out of his way

http://youtu.be/SL6_ivkR_jE ( excuse the swearing )

There are always campaigns on the t.v. to watch out for cyclists and to get cyclists to wear high viz. etc., but in my experience the car driver always knows you are there, they just decide your life is worth less than the chance that they may have to slow down or wait...
I was run over by a lorry last year (well rammed out of the way), I had a witness who confirmed the driver knew I was there but the police had no interest

of course if a car driver runs over a cyclist they have no worry as they just have to say he/she didn't see the cyclist and this seems to be a good defence?
Last edited by alanesq on 21 Dec 2011, 5:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Langley wrote:Oh, if anyone is around that area watch out for Renault clio, purple colour Y 531 HCP.

Tried to enter details on a report crap drivers web page but got one of those daft letter to type in but can never read it.

Are you sure it wasn't "853" or even columbus :lol:

Merry Xmas everyone and stay safe :twisted:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I wonder whether the CTC, as a cyclists' representative body, would care to investigate the possibilty of liaising with the Association of British Insurers. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of someone up there to develop a 'reporting website' that links reports of bad/inconsiderate driving with the insurers of the offending car and alerts them to the nature of the risks they are taking on with that particular car.
All insurance details are currently held by the DVLA and accessible by authorised agencies.
Obviously there would need to be safeguards against spurious complaints in that there should be additional evidence by way of video/other witnesses available, though I would imagine that several reports against a particular vehicle would warrant a 'coat of looking at' and possibly some advisory contact from their insurer.
If a driver thought that his/her behaviour could be assessed in some way by the insurance companies, it may promote a little more consideration.
Just a thought - whaddya think? :roll:

Steve (wot's now taking off rose tinted specs and donning his reality goggles :wink: )
boris

Post by boris »

''I was run over by a lorry last year (well rammed out of the way), I had a witness who confirmed the driver knew I was there but the police had no interest

of course if a car driver runs over a cyclist they have no worry as they just have to say he/she didn't see the cyclist and this seems to be a good defence?'

Exactly my experience last year. Both drivers that ran me down said they did not see me before the collision and stopped immediately they realised something was there. At the scene the first to hit me said he saw me appear to lose control of my bike (like you do when the rear wheel gets hit) but he seems to have forgotten that. The van driver had a very long time to observe my approach, looked me in the face as the car made his final approach, then ran over me for a good 5 seconds or more. said he didn't see me and stoped the instant he saw something yellow . I just thiink they were lying and we can imagine the truth.
Police did the right thing. Penalty practically nothing in court.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Greybeard wrote:I would imagine that several reports against a particular vehicle would warrant a 'coat of looking at' and possibly some advisory contact from their insurer.

it's a good idea. it's also save the insuring industry a few bob in the long run, as they'd know to charge more those that were most stupid and liable to incurr the big bills
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Blackbox recorders should sort many bad drivers out. They will become widespread someday hopefully. I would fit one if they would cut my premium.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

gilesjuk wrote:Blackbox recorders should sort many bad drivers out. They will become widespread someday hopefully. I would fit one if they would cut my premium.

My son has been offered one through the Co-Op, despite it saying that your premium might go down by a wee bit, it would likely go up by a lot unless you drive like mother Therasa every time you go out.
Given the randomness of those around you and even the odd half decent accelaration to get you into traffic all counts against you it'll work out in favour of the insurance companies and no-one else, it wont really change peoples driving attitudes that much. Harder to pass tests, compulsary periodic re-testing/training (AND HEALTH CHECKS!!)plus proper policing & harsher penalties will.
It also is indiscriminate, it takes no account of conditions and punishes you for driving at night despite the fact that more sleep related accidents occur between 2am & 6am (2am being approx 50times worse than at 10am) Young adults tend to doze off in the early mornings but older drivers tend to doze off in the afternoons.
The benefits are minimal at best IMO.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

all the idiots are out tonight,lovely ride home from work,car must have being trying to have lift off over a roundabout to try n knock me off,the about 5 too close beside me,then some dipstick passed me then slammed his brakes on to turn into the pub :roll:
I`m def too old for this!
Hector's House

Post by Hector's House »

alanesq wrote:in my experience the car driver always knows you are there, they just decide your life is worth less than the chance that they may have to slow down or wait?

I had a "conversation" with a (yes, i'm not kidding) learner moped rider, who had left so little space between the front right corner of the lorry, sitting behind the ASL, and his back wheel, that I was forced to squeeze onto the ASL, saying, "oh for goodness sake" (ASLs in Edinburgh are for cyclists, not motorbikes). This got us into conversation, which ended with "you know what, you're not even worth it". The light went green and I shouted, "SAFE RIDING!" (i meant it non-sarcastically!)
blog

she's handsome, she is pretty, she is the belle of Belfast City!
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

gilesjuk wrote:Blackbox recorders should sort many bad drivers out. They will become widespread someday hopefully. I would fit one if they would cut my premium.

They are already widespread. Every commercial vehicle over 3.5 tonnes since 2005 has been fitted with one. They record many details including time and name of driver for any transgression. Many are now linked to gps gathered data which adds location to the data stream.

In my company, this has reduced speeding and 'off route' excursions. The downside is that the equipment is so sensitive, we spend our time staring at the speedometer!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

hexhome wrote:

They are already widespread. Every commercial vehicle over 3.5 tonnes since 2005 has been fitted with one. They record many details including time and name of driver for any transgression. Many are now linked to gps gathered data which adds location to the data stream.

In my company, this has reduced speeding and 'off route' excursions. The downside is that the equipment is so sensitive, we spend our time staring at the speedometer!

Given the tech available it can't be hard to get it to beep as you approach and squeal as you exceed a speed limit...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Given the tech available it can't be hard to get it to beep as you approach and squeal as you exceed a speed limit...

Depending on the vehicle, there are indicator lights relating to overspeed. One of the large supermarket chains has a series of red, amber and green lights to show speed against limit status. I can't honestly say why they don't use an audible warning. A truck cab is no longer a noisy environment so it would be heard. I would guess that the 'approaching limit' beep would soon get switched off, as it would constantly sound!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

hexhome wrote: I would guess that the 'approaching limit' beep would soon get switched off, as it would constantly sound!

Also the other two, for the same reason, as above 99% of HGVs break the speed limit on rural A roads, by my observation. I've not really bothered to notice whether they keep to other limits. I very much doubt it, noone else does. Much of the time there would be a continuous beeping. This must be why they don't use an audible warning.

Edited
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?