Specialized Secteur Sport - Sora Components

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
offshore

Specialized Secteur Sport - Sora Components

Post by offshore »

I have been looking online at the Specialized Secteur Sport Triple as a reasonably priced introductionto road bikes.

I have only ever owned MTB's.

One online review I read stated that the Sora gear changers are difficult to get used to, and not very user friendly. Do i need to spend more to get a reasonable bike, or is thereviwer just being a bit picky?

In general how do people rate the 2011 / 2012 secteur models, and is there an obvious alternative that is significantly better for the price? As a new (aged)road biker comfort is important.

Thanks for any advice.
neilob

Re: Specialized Secteur Sport - Sora Components

Post by neilob »

I don't know a lot about Specialized bikes but assume they must be good given the popularity they enjoy. Re Sora shifters......my personal experience is very positive. Some don't like them because of the thumb upshift which differs from the higher Shimano groupsets. Sora has a 'normal' sweep downshift. I find that when riding on the hoods, it's far easier to use than 105 or Tiagra (and actually the same as Campag). I have a 9-speed pair on my touring bike and they work well, have worked well for years and will continue to work well I hope. Can't comment on the rest of Sora but I guess it's an average groupset.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

offshore wrote: ....................I have only ever owned MTB's...............

If you can't take a test ride, don't buy it. Simple as that.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I have a Sectuer Elite, this is a lovely bike, very comfortable but doesn't have Sora shifters, however i do have Soras on my Randonneur and think they are excellent but I do most of my riding on the hoods. I wouldn't let the shifters put you off but you do need to try them for your self and see if they suit your style of riding
'Kernow bys Vyken'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I know nowt about the bike in question,but I've been using Shimano STI's,double paddle type for 15years.They are great.
I recently bought a Kona DewDrop fitted with Sora STI's,very ergonomic from the hoods,in fact better than the double paddle type.On the drops,which ride on quite a bit I found I could only juuussst reach the upshift peg with my thumb,with winter gloves this was impossible,and my hands aren't small.
I sold the Sora's and fitted my old RSX STI's,normal service was resumed :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I ride with (8-speed) sora on my tourer and they are very comfortable on the hoods. I can just about reach the thumb shifter so it is useable from the drops (just about) however what I can't do from the drops is move the brake lever enough to activate a front mech up-shift.

IMHO there is a massive amount of snob value in bike stuff and none more than in road bike circles. People will deride such kit but CJ in a review of a budget tourer said the following

"Shimano’s entry-level shifting equipment once again gives pause to wonder why anyone pays more. Indexing was flawless rear and front." (http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/201105064.pdf for the rest of the review)

However I would agree with colin's sentiment that testing a bike is best. However I bought my tourer nearly 6 years ago and I'd never even seen another one let alone ridden it and I loved my bike from the word go and found the sora shifters instantly easy to understand, use etc. YMMV!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Many people including magazine reviewers reckon that Sora is the best of the Shimano range. Try to at least have a fiddle in the shops.
To be honest the main reason not to like it is the fact that its 8 speeds. To many including me that is not an issue but to some that is. Go for it, its a nice bike and if the price is right, plenty i the sales, buy it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have sora shifters on one of my bikes. I generally like them, however, they do have some drawbacks...

-When I first got the bike they needed frequent (every few hundred miles) adjusting, and when they needed adjusting, I had trouble shifting the thumb shifters

-They can only be shifted from the hoods (well, okay, by me, anyway; I think above posters may be exceptions, rather than the rule)

I've ridden a couple of bikes with the paddle type shifters (I think they were 105), and hope to upgrade to those eventually, as I prefer them.

I agree with what 531Colin says. Ride the bike, first. In fact, I would recommend riding lots of bikes.

Have fun :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
offshore

Post by offshore »

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to reply. I knew nothing about the subject before, but think I have got the fundamental issues covered now.

Beats wasting time and money on an unsuitable purchase!
emil

Post by emil »

Agree with all that is said about Sora but the new version of Sora is 9 speed. The 8 speed version is called 2300.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I've just been visiting family in New England and riding around on a Specialized Secteur Sport triple with 9 speed Sora. My generous son in law bought it for me to ride. I thought it was a fabulous bike and very good value for money (I found this thread when checking UK prices on my return). I really like the comfortable Roubaix based geometry, the hydroformed aluminum frame and carbon fork would have been state of the art a few years ago and the Sora worked well - as well as my very similar Campag Veloce set up. Mudguard clearance looked tight at the front so I might take out some Mr Crud guards next time. I can always make a case for spending more on more polished and lighter components but I was just as happy riding this bike through the "Fall" as on bikes that have cost me over twice as much.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

For anyone looking for a resonably priced introduction to road bikes, the Decathlon Triban 3 at £299 seems to be getting good reviews.
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

Thanks Spark always useful to know about bikes like this especially when new riders come out and want to try a road bike but not splash out. Some Decathalon offers can be hard to track down but this looks to be readily available.