CORNWALL - Recommendations?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
phil parker

CORNWALL - Recommendations?

Post by phil parker »

So, I have decided to undertake another tour of Cornwall, only this time to try and take in a bit more of Cornwall as opposed to Devon and Somerset, which I have done in the past. However, I may set off from home on the Hants/Wilts border taking a good half day to get to somewhere like Wells (I finish work at lunchtime) before heading in the same general direction towards Cornwall. I have to use up my leave entitlement before the end of March so I will set off on about the 15th of March and will need to find campsites that are open and cycle-friendly. I'm not ruling out getting the train back if I run out of time, I've got about 8 or 9 days.

Where would you recommend? General areas? Places of interest? Good cycling roads to get there? Campsites? I will probably cycle daily and take little time off although for some good points of interest I could have an early start to arrive for early afternoon, depending on conditions, and spend a couple of hours visiting.

I did look at an old clip on YouTube Tour of Cornwall, which is extremely amusing (watch the other episodes as well!), but didn't really help with my quest!

Any advice greatly received :)
The Mechanic

Re: CORNWALL - Recommendations?

Post by The Mechanic »

Mick F will be along in a minute.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

I stayed at http://tregunwithfarm.com/category/campsite, last spring, nice quiet campsite near Falmouth, basic facilities, £5 per night per pitch (Maximum adults per tent 3).

Also recommend Sennen Cove, the campsite is up in the village about a mile away but the footpath to the cove is tarmacked.

For trains see: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Customer-services/Cycling-policy

When I took my bike on a train from Liskeard to Truro, the first train was only two carriages and had pink bike symbol (meaning no bike spaces, blue symbol means bikes allowed) so I waited about half an hour and got on the next train which was a London to Penzance. The staff told me to wait at the end of the platform as the bike storage would be at the front of the train, there was a sign with a blue bike symbol sign there.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Erudin wrote:I stayed at http://tregunwithfarm.com/category/campsite, last spring, nice quiet campsite near Falmouth, basic facilities, £5 per night per pitch (Maximum adults per tent 3).

Also recommend Sennen Cove, the campsite is up in the village about a mile away but the footpath to the cove is tarmacked.

For trains see: http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/About-Us/Customer-services/Cycling-policy

When I took my bike on a train from Liskeard to Truro, the first train was only two carriages and had pink bike symbol (meaning no bike spaces, blue symbol means bikes allowed) so I waited about half an hour and got on the next train which was a London to Penzance. The staff told me to wait at the end of the platform as the bike storage would be at the front of the train, there was a sign with a blue bike symbol sign there.

Sennen Cove is an evil and wicked den of iniquity!

I stayed at the "Old Success" when I toured Cornwall, and they had a fundraising night for the Lifeboat.

The wicked denizens of the cove forced me to drink lots of Doom Bar and sing along with folk songs
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

What are your hobbies and what sort of routes do you like?

There are some wonderful churches and ancient sites if that floats your boat.

The Cornish Way and the West Country Way from Sustrans travel from Wells and form a reasonable route, but not if you are a racer as some of the off road bits are rudimentary. Having said that the ride across Exmoor and Dulverton is spectacular.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Thanks for the responses!

I will be touring on a Roberts Audax compact with 23c tyres and about 14 - 15 kgs of luggage (incl camping gear). I have a mate/cycling buddy joining me from North Manchester, who may well cycle the 2 or 3 days it will take to join me in Somerset. I have cycled around many parts of Exmoor and Dartmoor on previous training trips and down to the Eden Project, which I'm not ruling out for another short visit.I have taken the A road from Barnstaple to Wadebridge and towards Land's End before bad weather influenced me to turn back towards Liskeard. I have taken in Land's End on two occasions doing the End-to End each way (on separate occasions), but I've not yet been to Lizard's Point.

I'm interested in knowing any good roads, coastal roads or otherwise that are interesting without being extremely restrictive as I cycled home from Chawleigh, near Chumleigh, last July choosing minor C roads where the surface was a bit too rough for my steed, the hedges were high and the on-coming traffic more dangerous than on an A road! I know there's no avoiding hilly routes!

I'm probably more interested in visiting a nice fishing port for an hour's walk around followed by a pint and a pasty after having set up camp at a nearby campsite. I usually set off early i.e. 7 am, but may start at 8 as it is still only mid-March, and usually cover a day's riding, up to 100 miles, but in Cornwall I think 75 will be more realistic, by mid-afternoon. I was considering the coastal road from St Ives to Penzance via Land's End. Perhaps a overnight stop near Falmouth or Truro; I'm not too sure about the south coast towards Plymouth, but heading back towards Exeter might give me the easy option of a train back if I run out of time.

I will be accompanying another colleague on the Devon coast to coast on my slower expedition bike later in the year at a more sedate pace and able to use tracks and off-road in places, but for this trip I'm just looking for ideas to piece together a week's worth of rides at a reasonable pace - not ruling out a two-night stay and day ride from a fixed point if good weather and a pleasant area. I have previously based myself at Porlock (campsite) to carry out some great long and challenging, but scenic and interesting rides around Exmoor. I was looking for similar, but with A-to-B rides around Cornwall.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Mechanic wrote:Mick F will be along in a minute.
Just found this thread, I don't often come into this section.

I took the train with Bike down to Redruth last Autumn to do a few new roads. I'm actually trying to ride every road in Cornwall. A mammoth task, I'm sure you'll agree! I've done most of the ones I can get to from here and back in a day, so now I'm into train journeys to extend my range.

One road I can highly recommend is the B3306 from St Ives to St Just. It's a switch-back of a road with stunning views and goes through little villages. St Ives is worth a visit - and LE too if you've never been there.

Another excellent road is the B3276 from Padstow to Newquay and both Padstow and Newquay are worth a visit too. If you fancy a ferry trip, take the little ferry over to Rock from Padstow - I took my bike on there without much problem, but if the tide is out, there's a walk up the sand on the Rock side.

Staying on the north side of the county, Boscastle and Tintagel are nice, and so is Crackington Haven. Some great hills too!

South of the county, try the far south-east at Rame and Cremyll - it's a forgotten area of Cornwall - and work your way along the coast above Whitsands Bay. Try Looe and Polperro too, and a trip over the ferry to Fowey. If you fancy going further along the south coast, you can make your way to Mevagissy and follow the coast through Gorran to St Mawes.

Hope that helps. Happy cycling!
Mick F. Cornwall
PW

Post by PW »

I have a long standing love affair with the Penwith (Lands End) peninsula, especially Lamorna through to Nanjizal and the old mining area around Botallack. Beautiful scenery, not too busy outside August, plenty of good pubs and beaches to die for. If it was good enough for Lamorna Birch and the Newlyn School artists I think anyone with a soul would like it.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
horizon

Post by horizon »

Mick F wrote:South of the county, try the far south-east at Rame and Cremyll - it's a forgotten area of Cornwall - and work your way along the coast above Whitsands Bay. Try Looe and Polperro too, and a trip over the ferry to Fowey. If you fancy going further along the south coast, you can make your way to Mevagissy and follow the coast through Gorran to St Mawes.

+1 I know I'm biased but many people miss out on what I think is the best stretch of road in East Cornwall - the coastal road from Fowey to Torpoint. Not only have you got as many tea stops as you can handle but you've got a sea view most of the way and that includes the tea stops. In fact, being on a bike is what gives you the sea views as you can see over the hedges in many places where cars cannot. The ferry at Fowey (to Bodinnick) is worth a detour in its own right, past Daphne Du Maurier's now sadly disfigured old home.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Thanks a lot, guys, some grea responses and recommendations, exactly what I was looking for. So, to summarise, I will look to incorporate the B3276 from Padstow to Newquay (I am familiar with the area just to the south of Newquay) the B3306 from St Ives to St Just & the mining area around Botallack. I will probably stay at the campsite at Crows-an-Wra as I've stayed there before.

I will probably visit Lizard's Point as I missed it on my end-to-end even though I took in Dunnet Head. I might visit the Eden Project again as my mate hasn't been there and then make my wat to Fowey, catch the ferry and take the coast road to Torppoint. I am familiar with Cawsand & Kingsand and that immediate area. If I've got time I can go across Dartmoor to Exeter and get the train back to Salisbury or Andover.

I shall make a start on BRT this weekend! Any other recommendations will be gratefully received!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Oh, I will also be taking my Contour HD Plus camera so if I've got good weather I will edit some clips of the coastal roads for YouTube etc. I'm looking forward to it already - I normally go to Spain in March, but I could do without the hassle and expense, although I will miss the weather.
Bengdogg

Post by Bengdogg »

Can't help with route but places I love down there are Looe, polperro, fowey, St Ives, Porthleven, Lands end to get the photo by the sign :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

When I originally had the Trice I was based at RNAS Culdrose (Helston) and many of these routes are familiar.

The Harbour Inn at Porthleven was a favourite evening run, as was the Gweek Inn.

If you want something more out of the way then the Halzepheron is worth a visit.
delilah

Post by delilah »

Falmouth/ Penryn (both have stations) and onto the Helford Ferry, magical. then B3205 over Goonhilly Downs, Ruan Major and A3093 to the Lizard.
Penzance Newlyn (visit the gallery), Mousehole and the pub if you like pasties and a good pint, Lands End you could make various detours to the coast beforehand eg. Lamorna. From LE the coast road to St Just and Cape Cornwall, (atmospheric.) You can then return to Penzance by any of the roads that go east of the coast road eg Pendeen, Morvah (nice crossing of the moors via a stone circle) Zenor or on to St. Ives and B3311 to Penzance.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

phil parker wrote:......... If I've got time I can go across Dartmoor to Exeter ............. I shall make a start on BRT this weekend!
Make sure the weather is ok before you commit yourself to Dartmoor. It's bleak and empty up there - no shelter if the weather changes. It can be cold and very wet up there even in the summer. Saying that, if the weather is good, it's a fantastic - though hilly - ride.

Whilst on BRT, make an alternative route round to the north of Dartmoor - Okehampton to Exeter on the Old A30 is a great cycling route - use it as a "just in case" the weather looks bad. I've often been along that road and looked up at Dartmoor and seen the black clouds just sitting there whilst I've been in bright sunshine!
Mick F. Cornwall