Ride with GPS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
spanner1718

Ride with GPS

Post by spanner1718 »

Regarding recent posts about mapping and gps software,i have been using http://ridewithgps.com/ and have found it to be very easy to plan rides and to download turn by turn info to my Garmin 705. I especially like the "straight line " button which you can use to follow minor roads which cross dual carriage ways without the software directing your line up to the nearest roundabout and back as many other mapping products seem to do (when i use them anyway!). Do any other forum members use this particular one and what do you think to it?.
Manx Cat

Re: Ride with GPS

Post by Manx Cat »

I found this site myself at Christmas, discovered it when my favourite of all road mapping sites - Bikehike, was down.

I must admit for a free site, you get a lot of stuff. Easy to use. You can 'own' your area as you can build a profile etc. You can use it for fitness, or sharing GPS info. Its a very good site, bright and colourful.

I have managed to download GPS files onto it very easily, but so far I have not found out how to upload into my GPS unit - Im sure there's a way, Im just stupid when it comes to using the computer + Gps unit.
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

spanner1718 wrote:Do any other forum members use this particular one and what do you think to it?.

Yep; find it quite good. I am using it for planning out the route for my Dreaming Tour. I have also used for Audax rides BUT find that the cue-sheet needs to careful checking/editing. It can come up with some odd turns (e.g., turn left when you have mapped a right turn).

Other than that pretty happy with it.

Andrew
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

http://www.openrunner.com offers the Cloudmade engine as well as Google. Cloudmade can calculate routes specifically for cycling, something Google can't do outside the US.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

@Spanner1718, How many waypoints per route does your 705 support? Do you have to number the
waypoints, as you have to do in Mapsouce? With Mapsource If you have lots of waypoints in Mapsource,
it navigates through them in an alphabetical manner.

I've just created an account but used it in anger yet.
JohnCKirk

Post by JohnCKirk »

I used to use Bikely, but they revamped their interface recently so I'm looking for alternatives. I've tried RideWithGPS, but either I'm missing something obvious or I plan my routes in a fundamentally different way to everyone else.

My standard approach is to start out with the bits I know (e.g. start/end point) then fill in the details by adding/removing/dragging points. For instance, I'm currently planning a trip around the Isle of Wight, so I want to do a few quick clicks to follow a loop around it, then zoom in to deal with cycle routes (Sustrans RR67) and BCQ checkpoints.

Using RideWithGPS, I've set up the basic loop but I can't see any way to insert new points. If I try clicking somewhere new, it draws a line from my previous end point, and I can't see any "undo" or "delete" option. Also, it keeps adding lines from Cowes to Southampton each time I reload the page! So, am I just being thick here?
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

JohnCKirk wrote:
Using RideWithGPS, I've set up the basic loop but I can't see any way to insert new points. If I try clicking somewhere new, it draws a line from my previous end point, and I can't see any "undo" or "delete" option.

JohnCKirk

Post by JohnCKirk »

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed that "Undo" option... However, the "Clear Map" button will delete everything rather than a particular point.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

@JCK,

I'm going to give Ride With GPS a run for its money, to see if it's as good as Tracklogs or Mapsource.
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

I use connect.garmin.com to map a ride and load it to my 705.
hazecellar

Post by hazecellar »

dont know quite what you are looking for but - bikeroutetoaster website seems to be brilliant for plotting routes and you can save them to gpx then open in mapsource - only just started using it myself and it has roughly plotted a route thru france what looks good but yet to be checked
fossil

Post by fossil »

I use Bikehike , there are no adverts like on other sites , and you can upload /
download them to your garmins
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Question.
What maps have you got loaded on your Garmin 705?
jamesofyorkshire

Post by jamesofyorkshire »

I started off with the North America map....as I bought my 705 in the States.......when I came back to Europe last Autumn, I bought the 2012 Europe map.
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

+1 for bikeroutetoaster. Have planned and executed three or four tours with this, porbably totalling nearly 8,000 km. The interface is clear and to the point, and if you don't want it to authoroute you can switch this on and off at will.