LEJOG start

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Edmo

LEJOG start

Post by Edmo »

I've booked the accommodation for the England section of my LEJOG, the night before the start (Saturday 26 May) being spent at Land's End Y.H. I intend to arrive in Penzance by train, although the train prices for Glasgow to Penzance via Bimingham are showing at £215 single (3 months in advance)! If I head for Land's End that evening, have my photo taken, then the next morning set off early along the A3071 to Penzance, does that detract from it being a LEJOG? I suppose it might be more a Bosavern to John O'Groats!
The Jazz

Re: LEJOG start

Post by The Jazz »

Will you go to Lands End and then cycle to JOG?

If so, its a LEJOG. Simple.

Dont forget to sign the register at both ends.

Oh, and good luck and enjoy.
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

The Jazz wrote:Will you go to Lands End and then cycle to JOG?

Thanks. Yes, I'll head for Land's End and the signpost after getting off the train at Penzance, then make my way up the road to the youth hostel. The next morning - early, I'll start off for Okehampton.
The Jazz

Post by The Jazz »

Thats what we did on our LEJOG - Cycled down to LE, got signed in etc and then headed back to the B&B a few miles up the road. Set off from B&B the following morning.

No question about it not being a LEJOG.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Well I call my Home -> LE -> JoG -> Home a double ender because I did the full distance twice.
Its just I started and stopped in the middle.
I actualy did 4k miles in total on that run due to some slight diversions but thats another story ........ :twisted:

So unless you're doing a non-stop run it doesn't matter where you end the first day, be it 2 miles down the road from LE or +100 miles.
caledonian1

Post by caledonian1 »

I did LEJOG in Aug 10 and also travelled by train to Penzance (from Aberdeen) I was shocked by the prices for trains going down the west coast but once I looked at an Aberdeen to London fare and then a London to Penzance fare for the sleeper it was a great deal cheaper....and that included the Aberdeen to London leg as First class. Worth trying to break up thejourney like this as much cheaper and bizarrely fewer changes of trains...did include a wee cycle from Kings Cross to Paddington though. Incidentally, I got a taxi from the train station to Lands End...£20.

Never bothered with any register....to be honest never even knew about it...not signing it does not mean I didnt complete my LEJOG

I travelled home by Ferry.....Gulls Bay to St Margarets hope then Kirkwall to Aberdeen with a one mile cycle at the end to my flat
patpalloon

Post by patpalloon »

Edmo wrote:I've booked the accommodation for the England section of my LEJOG, the night before the start (Saturday 26 May) being spent at Land's End Y.H. I intend to arrive in Penzance by train, although the train prices for Glasgow to Penzance via Bimingham are showing at £215 single (3 months in advance)! If I head for Land's End that evening, have my photo taken, then the next morning set off early along the A3071 to Penzance, does that detract from it being a LEJOG? I suppose it might be more a Bosavern to John O'Groats!

try breaking the journey down in to separate tickets - when I got my return from Thurso - London, the advance price was showing as £150. But when I did Thurso - Edinburgh and then Edinburgh to London as two separate journeys it was under £50!
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

Caledonian1 and Patpalloon, I've had a look at booking London to Euston, then Paddington to Penzance, and it looks like being a much cheaper journey. Thanks. Caledonian1, the taxi sounds good to me: did you just take the wheels off and stick it in the boot? The two oof you - andTigerbiten, I'd love to read any blogs you might have.
brother nathaneil

Post by brother nathaneil »

caledonian1 wrote:Never bothered with any register....to be honest never even knew about it...not signing it does not mean I didnt complete my LEJOG
Me either, although mine was a JOGLE in June/July 2011.

By the way, if you are cycling from LE to the B&B and then continuing from there, it's not "the night BEFORE you start" your LEJOG... IT IS THE NIGHT YOU START YOUR LEJOG!!! It's just that your first leg is a short one. Many people who have done JOGLE have stayed in Wick and their fist leg has been to get off the train and cycle to JoG and back to Wick to the B&B.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome ~ Arthur Ashe

http://www.5blokes-end2end.weebly.com
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

brother nathaneil wrote:
caledonian1 wrote:Never bothered with any register....to be honest never even knew about it...not signing it does not mean I didnt complete my LEJOG
Me either, although mine was a JOGLE in June/July 2011.

By the way, if you are cycling from LE to the B&B and then continuing from there, it's not "the night BEFORE you start" your LEJOG... IT IS THE NIGHT YOU START YOUR LEJOG!!! It's just that your first leg is a short one. Many people who have done JOGLE have stayed in Wick and their fist leg has been to get off the train and cycle to JoG and back to Wick to the B&B.

Well, If I'm doing a hundred miles a day, I don't think that I'll list a couple of miles as a day. I'll be upfront about that.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Edmo wrote:Caledonian1 and Patpalloon, I've had a look at booking London to Euston, then Paddington to Penzance, and it looks like being a much cheaper journey. Thanks. Caledonian1, the taxi sounds good to me: did you just take the wheels off and stick it in the boot? The two oof you - andTigerbiten, I'd love to read any blogs you might have.

It's possible to ride from Euston to Paddington, i'm sure it's only about 5 miles. Might need a bit of judicious route planning to keep you off Euston Rd, but might be an option. Taxis in London are expensive and you may have trouble getting the bike in. I recently got a Taxi from Westminster to St Pancras - it took ages due to the traffic and cost £20. I can walk it in an hour.

As other have suggested. you can try splitting your ticket/journey. I booked Nottm to Wick as 3 separate journeys and did it for under £40. I regularly do this when traveliing with work. Day return Nottingham to Bristol is £121. Day return Nottm-Cheltenham is £60 and Cheltenham to Bristol is £8.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
caledonian1

Post by caledonian1 »

Edmo wrote:Caledonian1 and Patpalloon, I've had a look at booking London to Euston, then Paddington to Penzance, and it looks like being a much cheaper journey. Thanks. Caledonian1, the taxi sounds good to me: did you just take the wheels off and stick it in the boot? The two oof you - andTigerbiten, I'd love to read any blogs you might have.

No didnt have to take wheels off at all as they sent one of those bigger taxis so just took it inside...I did state I had a bike when I phoned from Penzance station.....not an uncommon call at all.

Glad the trains are working out cheaper......as I prepared to cycle the 2 or 3 miles from Kings Cross to paddington it was only then that I realised I had left my helmet on my kitchen table 550 miles away. I ended up doing my first day without one...along the A30 all the way to Tiverton (131 miles if I recall) and bought one the next day in Taunton...£70 I could have done without spending (however was definitely glad of it when I came off after Lancaster and hit my head on the pavement)

My report on LEJOG is on this website ( seriously good website for research)
http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=93
alicej

Post by alicej »

caledonian1 wrote:No didnt have to take wheels off at all as they sent one of those bigger taxis so just took it inside...I did state I had a bike when I phoned from Penzance station.....not an uncommon call at all.

Yes, in big "Hackney Cab" type taxis a bike will fit inside without any dismantling at all - worth knowing as it's saved me a miserable walk home with a broken bike before now. Having loads of luggage as well is a bit more hassle, and they may charge you a little extra, but it must be a very common request at LE.

Worth knowing for emergencies that it does apply in other places too - always carry enough cash for a cab fare home/to your next stop!
Edmo

Post by Edmo »

Caledonian1 and alicej, I'll do the taxi (from Penzance), but luggage won't be a problem, as I'll be using a Camper Longflap. Between stations in London, I'm not sure yet. About ywenty years ago I cycled, on a busy Saturday evening, from Victoria to Euston, but I had two guides - other cyclists I had met on the boat from Ostend to Dover. I'm not sure that I'd like to cycle in London again. I'd already read your site, Caledonian1, without realising it was you; good read.
loafer

Post by loafer »

The Jazz wrote:Will you go to Lands End and then cycle to JOG?

:lol: guess who forgot to sign at jog,s :oops: back in 1995 did not remember till i was sat in hemsdale yh the day after ... :cry: could not talk myself in going back up.. :lol:

larry