Viscount bicycles!!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
busaste

Re: Viscount bicycles!!

Post by busaste »

Bendo wrote:and now for something completely different...

I've created an Anglo-French monster, another Concorde! b :)

Looks good. Who made the frame?
busaste

Post by busaste »

Hi
I have a fully refurbished Aerospace Pro frame for sale 1977vintage which means no death fork as by then Viscount had replaced it with a very nice half chromed cro mo fork held together with a Vagner forged fork crown. I had the frame resprayed and restickered (£160) and the fork legs rechromed. It has a NOS original BB spindle and new BB bearings. I had the original CP break hangers/quick release levers rechromed. The headset is original too and regreased. The frame stickers are protected by the lacquer. With the exception of the 'Aerospace' stickers on the chain stays, all other stickers are replicas. The black protective tape on the right hand chain stay has been removed.

The frame was originally on one of my bikes, this one in fact:

DSCN1958.JPG

DSCN1961.JPG

If you have followed this post regularly you will recall that I had to 'decommission' this bike due to my gradually worsening back condition. I now have to have bars and saddle at the same level which means a 24.5" frame from now on. Nearly all of the parts on this Aerospace Pro have now been fitted to an Aerospace Sport which I posted pictures of before Christmas. Sadly all this means the 'Pro frame is surplus to requirements. Why keep it in the shed when another Viscount fan could be using it?

Were it not for my back problem there is no way I would sell the 'Pro frame. No rust, OEM parts, etc. The metallic paint (wet) finish is absolutely superb and as can be seen from the pictures it is a thing of beauty.

Downsides? There are some marks in the lacquer where the front derailleur, gear levers and seat post collar were and minor chips where the rear wheel was in the drop out. These would be invisible if you put these parts back on it. This is pathetic but...I have lost the rechromed seat collar and pinch bolt :oops: This is what happens when you leave things lying around in a crowded shed. Isn't it? There is a minor dent in the underside of one of the seat stays. Not a structural problem - purely cosmetic.

I will happily send high resolution pictures of the frame via email.

So £220 worth of painting, chroming, etc. on sale for £80 plus postage or you can collect. Never let it be said that I was into Viscounts to make money!!!
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Gosh, if I hadn't just done a resto myself I'd seriously consider that. A good price even though for me it would be that much again for shipping.

The orangey bike is my French randonneur project bike, which came together quicker than I had planned. The frame is by Jo Routens, Grenoble. He was one of the most highly regarded constructeurs, and his own bikes were immaculately fillet brazed (like Viscounts!) with beautiful details like internal cabling, twin-plate fork crowns, etc. This frame is one of his production models, but even so it is made of something semi-decent, perhaps even Vitus tubing. The whole bike was basically an excuse to buy those tyres. Is that weird? b
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

:D So glad I'm not the only one who sees compnents and almost immediately starts to think about what new bike I could buy to hang them on. The rebuild looks great by the way - it is very strange seeing a bike which you know to be approaching middle age but which looks brand new...

Busaste, that Aerospace Pro frame is such a cracker, I really really wish I had space for it.

I've put mine (and the Viscount's) name down for the Pendle witches ride on Easter sunday - http://pendlewitchesvintagevelo.co.uk/ - anyone fancy it? It would be lovely to see a brace of Viscounts on the course, and the route is supposed to be lovely.
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Looks like a great ride Goldie. Would be great indeed to see a "brace" of Viscounts there (perhaps we should work on what the 'official' collective noun for Viscounts is: a brace, a parliament - already taken by owls - or what about a 'privy'? Any other suggestions?).

BTW my wife says that since my "new" VA Sport is Ferrari red, that obviously makes it my middle-aged sports car purchase. I told her no it's not me that's having the crisis, it's the bike! It got to the age of 35 and decided it needed an extreme makeover so that it could keep it's head up amongst all the young, crabon fribé bikes out there...

b
triitout

Post by triitout »

Bendo, You've got the silver head badge correct by cutting it out to match the regular colored head badge. I guess the square was just how they were produced pre-cut.

Busaste, Real nice frame. I know how you feel about the small frame. My aerospace GP is 21 1/2" and is now impossible to ride as I get older. Is your's 23 1/2?? It would be tempting to do a switchover if my wife wouldn't kill me. The basement is getting very crowded and no one wants to be exiled to the shed!

One day I've got find the right sprint tri race to show up at with one of my Viscounts and just go retro!

I've got to figure out the right format on Zazzle to be able to do shirts with the solid white lettering one of these days. Anyone who wants to design their own should go to the site and try it out. Its pretty cool.

http://zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts
busaste

Post by busaste »

triitout wrote:Bendo, You've got the silver head badge correct by cutting it out to match the regular colored head badge. I guess the square was just how they were produced pre-cut.

Busaste, Real nice frame. I know how you feel about the small frame. My aerospace GP is 21 1/2" and is now impossible to ride as I get older. Is your's 23 1/2?? It would be tempting to do a switchover if my wife wouldn't kill me. The basement is getting very crowded and no one wants to be exiled to the shed!

One day I've got find the right sprint tri race to show up at with one of my Viscounts and just go retro!

I've got to figure out the right format on Zazzle to be able to do shirts with the solid white lettering one of these days. Anyone who wants to design their own should go to the site and try it out. Its pretty cool.

http://zazzle.co.uk/viscountshirts

My Aerospace frame is 23.5".

"The basement is getting very crowded and no one wants to be exiled to the shed!" I can think of much worse places to exiled to!!!
blackviscount

Re: Sealed Bearing Removal

Post by blackviscount »

After much head scratching I decided to assemble PROPER puller tools for the hub and bottom bracket bearings. Here are my puller tools:

DSCN2561.JPG

The key components are the two collets - 10mm and 17mm. These are beautifully made devices by Trident Tools (USA).

Hello busaste:
I just regestered as a member specifically for the purpose of contacting you. I could sure use a tool set like the one you display for removing viscount sealed bearings. Were all of these costom made for you by Trident Tools, or do they have part numbers? Can they be made with off the shelf materials?

I appreciate your offer to remove my bearings for free, but I would guess you are a long way away from Missoula Montana. Also, in storage, in a small garage, in a small village in the south of France, lies a viscount in desparate need of BB replacement. Only way to get that one done is to do it myself.

Any information would be helpful..........thanks.
busaste

Post by busaste »

A friend spotted these Viscount frame stickers on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viscount-Bicy ... 20c1a94235

A very good copy of the originals.
busaste

Re: Sealed Bearing Removal

Post by busaste »

blackviscount wrote:After much head scratching I decided to assemble PROPER puller tools for the hub and bottom bracket bearings. Here are my puller tools:

DSCN2561.JPG

The key components are the two collets - 10mm and 17mm. These are beautifully made devices by Trident Tools (USA).

Hello busaste:
I just regestered as a member specifically for the purpose of contacting you. I could sure use a tool set like the one you display for removing viscount sealed bearings. Were all of these costom made for you by Trident Tools, or do they have part numbers? Can they be made with off the shelf materials?

I appreciate your offer to remove my bearings for free, but I would guess you are a long way away from Missoula Montana. Also, in storage, in a small garage, in a small village in the south of France, lies a viscount in desparate need of BB replacement. Only way to get that one done is to do it myself.

Any information would be helpful..........thanks.

Happy to help. Sent you a PM.
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Bendo, that picture of Victor and your Aerospace Sport together on your blog is proper man cave wall art. Good work sir... :D
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Been sucked into this thread against my will again. Having seen Busastie's frame for sale I've just spent the last 45 minutes checking out all 300 auctions for "vintage Shimano" on eBay...
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

Don't forget to search for "NOS Shimano" as well.

b

PS - thanks Goldie. BTW is that another name for pr0n?
Bendo

Post by Bendo »

For those people who still call Viscount aluminium forks "death forks", here's a little recall from Giant. Their second defective fork recall in as many years (scroll down to see the listing):

http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/92190/

b
busaste

Post by busaste »

Bendo wrote:For those people who still call Viscount aluminium forks "death forks", here's a little recall from Giant. Their second defective fork recall in as many years (scroll down to see the listing):

http://www.bv.com.au/general/bikes-and-riding/92190/

b

Very interesting thanks.

Being born with a 'nerdy' gene I am pursuing the 'death fork' issue in more detail. I am off to see a professor of aerospace engineering and an aerospace materials scientist to try and get to the bottom of the Lambert/Viscount fork.

Any takers for the 23.5" Aerospace Pro frame? If not I will post on the main CTC forum sale thread. By the way, I have found a seat clip for the frame. Not the one I have lost (worra pr*t!) so it has not been rechromed. Its condition is not bad though and it was fitted to a '78 Aerospace Sport (So, OEM then).