Kids crashing into cars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rob1234

Kids crashing into cars

Post by rob1234 »

Last night my nine year old lost control of his bike and crashed into a parked car (on the road)- the bike is fine but there is some damage to the car.

Does anyone know where I stand.

Can a nine year old be liable for the damage and or am I liable as the parent for his actions.
pigman

Post by pigman »

my personal view, and it is personal, is that it depends on circumstances.
If the car was parked in an improper manner. eg. half on the pavement, or on a corner etc, then I'd ignore it and do a runner and carefully explain to the lad that it was essentially the driver's actions that put poor lad in such a situation.
If however, the car was parked properly and the lad genuinely lost control and is essentially to blame, then I'd take responsibility and either pay for the repairs myself or let the driver know my CTC membership details and tell him to make a 3rd party claim against us. As a car owner myself, I'd be a bit miffed if I had parked carefully, suffered misfortune and was faced with someone contesting that it's my problem as a minor shouldn't be held liable,
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

If we take it that the car was parked legally, then you are laible for the actions of your son as a minor.

However, you may notice on your household insurance a section called "Public Liability". This is what covers you for this sort of thing (as well as stray balls, etc). The car owner should make a claim against you which you should refer to your household insurers.
Tynan

Post by Tynan »

strewth

good form is to put your hands up and offer to pay

imagine it's your car
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Tynan wrote:good form is to put your hands up and offer to pay

i agree, unless the car was on double yellows or somesuch