Front Rack Issues

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dnrc

Front Rack Issues

Post by dnrc »

Hi all,

I don't know if this is me being thick or what but i'm struggling with my front rack.

I've got a galaxy with two sets of eyelets at the front, as far as i'm aware the front are for racks and the rear are for mudguards.

But i recently bought some cheap lowriders just to try out and get up and running and they seem to want to fit to the rear holes. and if put on the front would not sit anywhere near straight.

So I looked online and it seems that most front racks seem to use the mudguard eyelets. Am I missing something?

What racks fit using the proper holes and don't cost an absolute fortune?
CJ

Re: Front Rack Issues

Post by CJ »

The "proper holes" are the rear ones. The holes in front of the dropouts found on some touring forks are for the front stabilising hoop of the original design of low-rider carrier - or an old-fashioned above-wheel front carrier.

When using the rear eyes to fit a low-rider carrier, unless that carrier provides a more convenient attachment point, it is necessary to use a longer bolt and a nut, so as to attach the mudguard stay on the inside.

There will not be enough room between dropout and hub for original "Secu-clips", plus a nut, but more recent safety-release fittings should fit there okay.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
largeallan

Re: Front Rack Issues

Post by largeallan »

Just as a matter of interest, what are the low riders frames you are fitting?...A couple of cheapies have caught my eye too but I'm not sure whethere to just save for an expensive rack