School run or work commute - how far?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
melw1

School run or work commute - how far?

Post by melw1 »

Just read another poster's post about commuting to work and am wondering - what sort of distances do you all do - hilly or not - open road or packed with snarling cars, school run etc etc. And do you do it in all weathers?

Just being nosey!! :) (and also looking for inspiration, I guess!)

Melanie
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I don't do this every day, just two days a week at the moment although I'm going to do three days soon. I do 1 mile to the station in the morning, 13.5 miles from the station at the other end to work. Then 13.5 miles back but I usually ride 6 miles home as the train changes at a station one stop away. So on an average day I do 34 miles, although if I'm feeling lazy I'll just do 28 miles.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

fatboy wrote:I don't do this every day, just two days a week at the moment although I'm going to do three days soon. I do 1 mile to the station in the morning, 13.5 miles from the station at the other end to work. Then 13.5 miles back but I usually ride 6 miles home as the train changes at a station one stop away. So on an average day I do 34 miles, although if I'm feeling lazy I'll just do 28 miles.

Can you be sure of getting your bike on the train?
I get the impression from others on here that it's either impossible, difficult, or a bit hit and miss. Presumably you can rely on it?
Any way, train or no, 28 - 34 miles is good going in my book.
I do 15 miles there and back four or five days a week, whatever the weather, been doing this since last october and it's surprising how infrequently it rains.
One steepish hill in each direction and a headwind in each direction (well, seems like it!) .
Roads half the way, shared use paths the rest.
- AS
PW

Post by PW »

Currently 5 miles each way in the morning, then 4 - 5 hours off, then 5 miles each way in the afternoon.
A dozen years ago it was 14 miles each way plus 4 days out of 6 down the pit! :roll:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
diapason

Post by diapason »

Mine is only 5 miles each way, 5 days a week :oops: I try to cycle in all weathers unless I've got to carry a lot of gear (books and robes).

N
Advena ego sum in Terra
essexman

Post by essexman »

4 miles hilly in country,
train,
2 miles flat in town and then back again.
5 days a week, all year round.
When trains are delayed, getting on with a full size is erratic, but i use a folder.
I hate snow.
essexman

Post by essexman »

i've had my waterproof on twice this year! it never rains when i'm on a bike!
I hate snow.
rower40

Commute: How Far?

Post by rower40 »

I do 3 3/4 miles each way, 4 days a week. Main roads for the first half, then an off-road tarmac route. On the fifth day (usually Tuesday(?)) I run the same distance, but a slightly different route, to avoid crossing the main roads.

The main road half is downhill, on a newly-created Bus Lane; it gets a bit hairy where the bus lane ends, and the cars cut left as two lanes merge into one just before a roundabout. Then a fiddly bit through town (bus lanes, traffic lights, roundabouts), then I get off-road on Sustrans route 68.

Every working day, it's either bike or run. The bus got used when my arm was in plaster. The main choice is which of the fleet to use. Recumbent, Tourer, Folder, Tandem.... But I've ridden nothing but my new Ridgeback Nemesis since I got it.
"Little Green Men Are Everywhere... ...But Mostly On Traffic Lights."
themadorganist

Post by themadorganist »

Hi
I do a minimum of 10 miles each way, 3 or 4 days a week in fairly flat country plus a good deal of other fitness riding. I often do more on the way in to work, up to 22 miles at times, depending on the weather but i find that after a 12 or 13 hour shift i simply want to go home and am generally too tired to consider doing a longer route. Ive been doing this since Feb '06 although i consider myself a little lucky to get through the winter without any significant problems with frost / ice - not good when riding in the dark! Before Feb '06 i used to ride in when the weather was good and drive an old banger when it was bad, but since the old banger died, i've never felt the need to replace it - quite happy on the bike - if you have good gear and a decent machine the weather shouldnt be an issue for most of the year. Good luck!
melw1

Post by melw1 »

Thank you for all your replies. Taking your bike on a train sounds hassly! Bad enough finding room for a person on some of the commuter trains, let alone a bike!

Certainly inspiring to read that you all tend to use your bikes in all weather - and that you do additional miles on a good day just for fun! I can't commute to work unfortunately as it is just too far but do intend using my bike for all local journeys - trouble is we live at the top of a hill! I tend to end up walking the last part! (Well I am trailering 2 kids as well most of the time - that's my excuse anyway)! My goal is one day to make it up the hill without getting off!
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I commute 1.5 miles to my summer job. It is anything from 2-5 days/ week, depepnding on what's going. I have a short steep hill on the way back. I don't increase the length of my commute, but do additional training, as I wouldn't want to ruin my work uniform, or take massive bags of tools to work.
mwooldridge

Post by mwooldridge »

Ride every day to and from work and have two routes dependent on how I am feeling, weather and road works. Short route is 10 miles and is rolling to hilly. Includes dual carriage way, country lanes and city. Long route is a hilly 20 miles including country roads and city streets. The only thing that really kills cycling is thick ice (came off earlier this year) or snow. Been doing this for about 4 years now.
Tynan

Post by Tynan »

12.5 miles each way through London from E4 to NW6, snarling traffic most of the way, well all of the way, no bother at all once you're fit and confident

cyclecraft is good for learning traffic if it's a problem, a lightweight not very waterproof does me for rain, if you're going at a good clip you keep warm enough
Mansfield Marauder

Post by Mansfield Marauder »

I do 6 miles in a morning roads and off road tracks (route 6 through Nottingham) in the evening depends on how I feel will be at least 10 some days I get off a stop early which pushes it up a bit and on good days go for it all 20 miles home. Have been refused onto train a couple of times mainly because they were full last one was a bit rough conductor refused to let me on because he was already carrying 2 bikes (check Central Trains regs) have biked all the way a couple of times because the trains were not running. 8)
Mansfield Moon Flea
May all your rides be punctureless
plastic_janner

Post by plastic_janner »

6 Miles downhill, in the morning. :)
6 Miles uphill, in the afternoon. :(
Fairly empty roads in the morning but a different story in the afternoon.