first cyclo tour: silly question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
serbring

first cyclo tour: silly question

Post by serbring »

Hi all,

I want to make my first cycle tour in Italy and I'm gonna do it alone. I'm little bit afraid of my equipment: bike and bags. Maybe when I go to a bar for a coffee or in a bathroom. What do you use to do in such situations?

Thanks
johnb

Re: first cyclo tour: silly question

Post by johnb »

A big lock.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

A long loop lock is good 9So you can lock front & back wheels to a solid object, you can put a couple of solid rings along it so you can attach a smaller basic cable loop to lock bags up or even a movement alarm to put inside your bags. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=8483
Generally though if in civilised areas it's unlikely anyone will knick the bike if in view of general public if it is just locked up.
Have fun though, my first tour was solo through France for 2 weeks when I was 21, had an amazing time :D
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

I agree with the previous posts, good lock and try and stop somewhere that feels good.
One extra thing put your most valuable objects, passport, cash, cards, camera etc. in a bumbag or similar so that they are always on your person.
My first big tour was around France, on my own camping, for 4 weeks, had an amazing time and never felt vulnerable once.

Millhouse
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

A lock will prevent an opportunist wheeling your bike away, and always lock when you stop overnight unless it is in your room with you.
Small towns/villages where you might stop for coffee/lunch are generally 'safe', not many people will want to nick a fully laden touring bike.
If you are leaving it for any length of time where it will be out of your sight, ie a tourist spot/museum etc., then I would certainly put a lock around it.

People aremostly kind, helpful and interested in what you are doing and where you are going and the Italians love their cycling... do not worry and enjoy.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
horizon

Post by horizon »

serbring wrote:Hi all,

I want to make my first cycle tour in Italy and I'm gonna do it alone. I'm little bit afraid of my equipment: bike and bags. Maybe when I go to a bar for a coffee or in a bathroom. What do you use to do in such situations?

Thanks

serbring: it will always be a bit of a worry and there is no easy answer. I think though you will get used to Europe - are you American? Best thing is to ASK SOMEONE - "Could you watch my bike for five minutes?".
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Valuables in bar bag (or bum bag) that travels with you. Cable lock or auxiliary cable to D-lock through pannier handles. Of course, the panniers can still be rifled and a sharp knife or pair of scissors could see the panniers removed, but that should be enough for short stops.

And, as suggested above, best security is often asking shopkeeper/stallholder/old lady to keep an eye on it for you.
hamster

Post by hamster »

One other point is not to take too much expensive stuff! If somebody really wants a battered trangia, insanitary sleeping bag and a decidedly used tent then then they are welcome to mine. Thieves go for flashy easily sellable things. Ride with confidence that most of your stuff is effectively valueless...and keep your oldest shirts and pants on top in your panniers :shock:
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Oh yeah, a pair of sweaty grollies is enough to put anyone off dipping any deeper into a pannier bag... :lol:
serbring

Post by serbring »

I'm preparing for my tour...In my mtb I have the automatic pedal, unfortunately the shoes I have are not comfortable for walking. Are there any comfortable shoes for walking? Is it really woirthy to buy a new shoes pair instead of new pedals?

thanks
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I've had a couple of bikes stolen in the past (though not touring) and am a bit paranoid. I never leave it out of my sight without locking it. Some places, it may be easier to find a disabled toilet and take the bike in with you than find a place to lock it.

Also, if I go into a museum or something, I prefer to take lugage off the the bike and put it in a locker, or something. It obviously depends alot on the situation. In a big city, I leave my bike in the hotel room and do touristy things by foot and public transport. On Hadrian's Wall, I don't mind leaving my luggage on the bike while I wander around a museum. There some devices that will improve the security of luggage left on the bike. There have been threads on this before do a search on 'lock bike luggage tour' or similar.

As for shoes, there have also been previous threads. See viewtopic.php?f=16&t=65437&p=562771 or do a search on suitable words, like 'cycling shoes comfortable walking' or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

We usually have clothes drying under a cargo net over our panniers. damp chamois and underpants usually mean people give the bikes a wider berth than necessary.

As for shoes. We use mtb shoes and pedals, but we don't walk much in these anyway. We keep a pair of crocs or the like under the pannier flap for when not cycling. change into these if you are walking a lot.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.