New Grand Tourer prt 2

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
indy

New Grand Tourer prt 2

Post by indy »

I've noticed in my search for a tourer than very few..... errrr none use disk brakes. Is there any particular reason for that? Is there a general consensus on peddles... clip-in or standard for a tourer?

The other thing I looking into and getting a bit muddled about is lighting does anyone have any good solid starting point of products to look at.
Isssue's
1) dynamo/batteries or hybrid
2) integrated system or remove on leaving.

Also related is or would it be possible to use a dynamo during the day to charge things like a phone/GPS etc
mrjemm

Re: New Grand Tourer prt 2

Post by mrjemm »

The general reason for lack of disc tourers is conservatism, although many folk do have good reasons for both options, and they will chime in here. But, there are plenty of them. Mine is a Salsa Vaya ( http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/ ). Then there are Surly Disc Trucker (new- http://surlybikes.com/bikes/disc_trucker ), Revolution Country Explorer ( http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ring-bikes ), various Jamis ( http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... s/f/jamis#! ), Kona Sutra ( http://www.konaworld.com/road.cfm?content=sutra ), and many more. And that's just the drop bar ones...

As for charger, look up sondeluxe and ewerk.

Cheers, Jem.
indy

Post by indy »

Do you or come to think of it anyone else know how practical it is from a cost perspective to retro fit hydraulic disc brakes to a new (2012) Ultra Galaxy?

Also it would be good if anyone with any fundamental dislike of disc brakes could say why i.e. the disadvantages. Obviously there the fixing of broken ones in out of the way places but what else?
Cheers
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

Surely all cycles use disk brakes :idea:
'Kernow bys Vyken'
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Hydraulic discs wouldn't be feasible with the standard drops, and need for brazing on of the mounts. If you are really keen though, the mounts could be brazed on at some custom builders, and you could then easily use mechanical discs- Avid BB7s generally regarded the best. Otherwise a TRP converter thingy to turn cable levers into hydraulics. Only ever 1 model of hydraulic levers for drops, some magura thing years back, but hard to trace.

Much much cheaper and simpler to buy a new frame, ready fitted with mechanicals/mounts, or get one custom made if you're that keen.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The easiest way would be to change the forks for ones designed for disks but retain the original brakes on the rear.
meic

Post by meic »

For the pedals, there is not consensus (though those who dont use SPDs are wrong :wink: :lol: ).

I dont use discs because my rim brakes are adequate, cost and weigh less and are more commonly fitted to bikes.
Also they have knock on effects with rear racks becoming heavier to accommodate fitting around them. Front forks being beefed up to cope with them, so heavier and possibly stiffer.
I wanted a rear disc brake (my frame has rear fittings) as my rear rims can get a bit hot on descents, then I was told that disc brakes are prone to overheating with worse consequences in the same conditions!
Disc brakes have their advantages but that wasnt the question. :)
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Re lights: I don't tour by night these days, so I just take along blinkies just in case I get caught out. If I did tour in the dark, dynamo is the obvious solution.

Re phone/GPS etc: Far too high-tech for me.

Re pedals: I use Power Grips. Everyone else is wrong, of course. :wink: :lol:
RonK

Post by RonK »

indy wrote:Do you or come to think of it anyone else know how practical it is from a cost perspective to retro fit hydraulic disc brakes to a new (2012) Ultra Galaxy?

Also it would be good if anyone with any fundamental dislike of disc brakes could say why i.e. the disadvantages. Obviously there the fixing of broken ones in out of the way places but what else?
Cheers

Conservatism has little to do with eschewing disc brakes - perhaps the primary reason is that the braking load must be transferred through the spokes. Most long distance tourers would prefer to avoid placing any additional stress on the spokes - there is enough load on them already. And the front wheel must be dished, i.e. built with unequal length spokes at different spoke tensions, also to be avoided. Then there are likely clearance issues fitting racks and mudguards.

Disc brakes offer very little performance advantage over good v-brakes - better in wet weather perhaps, but enough to justify the negatives?

To retro fit a disc front brake will require a stronger fork with caliper mounts - for the rear, mounts will have to be welded on.

I use a SON 28 dynamo hub - it does an excellent job of powering an Supernova E3 Pro lightset and charging my iPhone. You need a Biologic Reecharge or a Pedalpower Super-i-Cable auxillary battery for best performance. Yet another option is the Busch & Muller e-Werk

I've used clipless pedal for twenty years and wouldn't feel right without them. Without being too clunky, these Shimano XT Trail pedals offer a decent platform to avoid hot-spotting and double-sided retention, and can be used with ordinary shoes for a short trip to the corner store.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
Millhouse

Post by Millhouse »

[quote="snibgo"]Re lights: I don't tour by night these days, so I just take along blinkies just in case I get caught out.
+1
My best advice, for what it's worth, is when touring keep it simple. Try not to overburden yourself with kit.
Get a bike, get out there and do it. You will gain experience from each trip and will soon know what does and does not suit you.

Regards
Millhouse
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Some questions to ponder when thinking about standard v. clipless pedals for touring:
How much walking do you expect to be doing while you're away?
Are your cycling shoes going to be comfortable enough for that? (Mine certainly aren't)
Do you mind the weight/space penalty of carrying an extra pair of shoes?
RonK

Post by RonK »

nirakaro wrote:Some questions to ponder when thinking about standard v. clipless pedals for touring:
How much walking do you expect to be doing while you're away?
Are your cycling shoes going to be comfortable enough for that? (Mine certainly aren't)
Do you mind the weight/space penalty of carrying an extra pair of shoes?

Not a problem - I take only one pair of shoes when I tour, and they are very comfortable, goretex lined and Vibram soled. These Northwave SPD shoes are conservatively coloured and worn under long pants look reasonably presentable anywhere I'm likely to go. And they have a stiff sole and plenty of grip for side trips. I wear them everywhere, everyday on tour. Northwave MTB shoes are a wider fit than Shimano shoes and suit my flat feet nicely.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels